Steal any guitar sound you love from a record for your recordings

Most of us are doing home recording. Here's a place to talk about it.
Dinosaur David B

Steal any guitar sound you love from a record for your recordings

Basically, you use, a product called LALAL.AI https://www.lalal.ai/
To strip out and isolate any aspect of a recording -- like the guitars, but it could be whatever. Think Peter Baltes' bass tone.

About half way through the video, Glenn shows that you can drag the stripped out track into your DAW, then apply a "learning EQ" to the track. That will basically analyze the EQ on the souce track, and you can presumably then paste that EQ onto your track, and there you are -- or Bob's your uncle, for the UK folks. 

FWIW, this is also how Billy Gibbons gets his Pearly Gates tone out of ANY guitar he plays live. 

Glenn also cautions against using EXACTLY the same sound from your source, both ethically, but also because it needs to fit what's going on in YOUR mix.  
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Bytor

Re: Steal any guitar sound you love from a record for your recordings

Wow! This is first generation too.. I'll wait for 2nd or 3rd where I can can deconstruct our two cds and my two cds that I don't have stems for and do some surgical repairs. I'd also want an in house version of the software that I own..

Dinosaur David B

I don't have LALAL.AI, but I think, between Valhalla, Ozone, and Fab Filter, I already have stuff that does similar things. The ability to isolate tracks. And I think I've got a learning EQ. I just haven't used it yet. 

But as we're gearing up for a second album, I may dip my toe in this pool.
Haffner

Dinosaur wrote: I don't have LALAL.AI, but I think, between Valhalla, Ozone, and Fab Filter, I already have stuff that does similar things. The ability to isolate tracks. And I think I've got a learning EQ. I just haven't used it yet. 

But as we're gearing up for a second album, I may dip my toe in this pool.

Love Valhalla Vintage, and the Fab Filter Compression and EQ are pretty amazing imo.

Tatosh Guitar

Well, luckily I am not an original artist creating music cause I would probably go apeshit with this. the temptation of getting my favorite tones would be too much to ignore.

But since I am a bedroom nut who only plays covers, I think it is fair game? LOL.

:mrgreen:

Dinosaur David B

Haffner wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:00 amLove Valhalla Vintage, and the Fab Filter Compression and EQ are pretty amazing imo.

Yeah, they are AMAZING tools. We didn't have them for Feints, but we sure used them a lot for Last Chance.  The ProQ is fantastic for comparing track EQs to find and fix masking issues.
Dinosaur David B

07 Feb 2023 11:14Well, luckily I am not an original artist creating music cause I would probably go apeshit with this. the temptation of getting my favorite tones would be too much to ignore.

But since I am a bedroom nut who only plays covers, I think it is fair game? LOL.

I might try doing it on my upcoming tracks, but only to get a nice starting point. Once you have all the instruments in, and you start mixing, you still have to push around the EQ to make it fit in the mix. 
Haffner

Dinosaur wrote:
Haffner wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:00 amLove Valhalla Vintage, and the Fab Filter Compression and EQ are pretty amazing imo.

Yeah, they are AMAZING tools. We didn't have them for Feints, but we sure used them a lot for Last Chance.  The ProQ is fantastic for comparing track EQs to find and fix masking issues.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: