How DRG influenced my technique and playing

A place to discuss specific playing techniques.
Dinosaur David B

Re: How DRG influenced my technique and playing

Nick wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 8:50 pmI think he's a great blues player, but I never listen to"that" Gary these days, it's all about the hard rock stuff.

Amen.  :text-goodpost:

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Haffner

I think he's a great blues player, but I never listen to"that" Gary these days, it's all about the hard rock stuff.

I watch plenty of the live stuff from that era, but the heavy rock stuff I favor by far.
Tatosh Guitar

Nick wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 8:50 pm
 Yeah, I discovered how much I'd been missing out on. Learning the guitar in the late 80's was all about the Shrapnel guys and current bands of the day that I loved. I had the (false) impression that Gary was just a blues guy that a lot of people respected. But after reading Gary's profile here I realized I needed to check out his hard rock/metal stuff like Cooridors and Victims. Man, was that a revelation. In a way his stuff is still fresh to me because I didn't wear it out in my formative years. 

I think he's a great blues player, but I never listen to"that" Gary these days, it's all about the hard rock stuff.

I would say that's me in a nutshell. I have friends that still think Gary was just a blues guy and are totally unaware of his past, no matter how much I tell them otherwise. But to be fair, that was basically me before I found this place, 20 years or so ago. I think I had only heard Still Got the Blues. Which of course I liked, but I didn't know there was more out there. 

Before I found DRG , I remember I would read guys I admired mention Gary all the time. Thing is, I didn't know what to check. Unlike with Michael Schenker, who was easier to figure due to the Scorpions connection, and people mentioning Strangers in the Night all the time, there didn't seem to be a specific Gary example I needed to check out. Then I read his profile here, which lead me to seek exactly what needed to be checked, and my life was forever changed.  

I am pretty sure there are some of his blues albums I have never heard, and I have no interest in listening to. To me, it ends in 1990 or so.

Haffner

Tatosh wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 8:50 pm
Nick wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 8:50 pm

Yeah, I discovered how much I'd been missing out on. Learning the guitar in the late 80's was all about the Shrapnel guys and current bands of the day that I loved. I had the (false) impression that Gary was just a blues guy that a lot of people respected. But after reading Gary's profile here I realized I needed to check out his hard rock/metal stuff like Cooridors and Victims. Man, was that a revelation. In a way his stuff is still fresh to me because I didn't wear it out in my formative years. 

I would say that's me in a nutshell. I have friends that still think Gary was just a blues guy and are totally unaware of his past, no matter how much I tell them otherwise. But to be fair, that was basically me before I found this place, 20 years or so ago. I think I had only heard Still Got the Blues. Which of course I liked, but I didn't know there was more out there. 

Before I found DRG , I remember I would read guys I admired mention Gary all the time. Thing is, I didn't know what to check. Unlike with Michael Schenker, who was easier to figure due to the Scorpions connection, and people mentioning Strangers in the Night all the time, there didn't seem to be a specific Gary example I needed to check out. Then I read his profile here, which lead me to seek exactly what needed to be checked, and my life was forever changed.  

I am pretty sure there are some of his blues albums I have never heard, and I have no interest in listening to. To me, it ends in 1990 or so.

I feel lucky, because I had Black Rose the year it came out (my favorite Lizzy studio album), and We Want Moore was a staple of my listening from the time it came out. I had both before I started playing, and each gave me ample reason to be intimidated by the electric guitar. It wasn't until I hear Tony Iommi that I started believing I might be able to play the darn thing. Of course, to this day I really can't lol.
merlo_zeppelin

As many of you mention, I had no idea Gary was a hard rock monster before I came to DRG. Still Got The Blues wall all I knew from him. Now I find his late 80s stuff what I like most, his final rock years. Still heavy, still ballsy, but more refined,  better songs and vocals. Wild Frontier and After the War are the albums that come to mind. And the Live from Stockholm video from 87, that's peak Gary for me, never heard play as good as that.