My project - Last Chance - first finished songs!

Most of us are doing home recording. Here's a place to talk about it.
MAdX

Congrats dude!

Lead playing has improved, it sounds more fluent and more original. Drums sound great on all tracks. Songs are very solid overall. With the singers punkier style it almost gives me a bit of Velvet Revolver vibe during some moments. Nicely done!

Dinosaur David B

Thanks, Vin

Seven Moons said:

Congrats Dave, cool tunes, performance and production job! A bit of a suprise too, as I was expecting something in a "classic rock" vein, but I agree with what others have said: it rather has an "updated Iggy/NY Punk" vibe, maybe because of the vocals, which are very upfront in the mix (the instrumental parts don't really sound like that). The "earworm" factor is strong, too.

[/quote]

I think Frankie's vocals are always going to bring that NYC punk vibe to the thing regardless of how heavy or poppy we play. I want to let him be him, because he has his own very cool mojo, but unlike his past punk projects, I have him singing real melodies and hitting his vocal marks. That was all foreign to him when we started working together. He has really exceeded my original expectations in a very pleasing way, and I'm very proud of him.

MAdX said:

Congrats dude!

Lead playing has improved, it sounds more fluent and more original. Drums sound great on all tracks. Songs are very solid overall. With the singers punkier style it almost gives me a bit of Velvet Revolver vibe during some moments. Nicely done!

[/quote]

Thanks, Max

Velvet Revolver is fair. We were sort of trying strike a balance between Heavy Rock, Rock, and Punk. GnR was one of the bands we talked about as sort of a "sonic center," but Frankie's vocals are more in the VR vein. Billy Idol too (Billy's an old friend of Frankie's).

But even so, I think it still comes out sounding like us with our wide range of influence.

Sick of it All, for example, is a straight up Accept-like verse riff. But the verse vocals over it are delivered sort of Jagger-esque. Then the chorus is Beatlesy. And the rhythm section has kind of a Chili Peppers vibe. It's an eclectic blend, but I think it works. And I haven't heard a shitload of things that sounds just like it.

Every cord/cable is a cunt.
mr_crowley

As I said when I heard these at Andy's, this is some great tunes you got there Dave! Good job on that :)

My favourite is Gotcha Back. I like how it swings all over the place (in a good way) and got a really cool swagger to it. Also like your guitar playing A LOT on in, really raw and aggressive sounding.

Don't know if I've ever told you this but for me your trademark as a producer, ever since Feints, is bad ass sounding drums and they are definitely here. I love how you get those really popping and slamming!
Dinosaur David B

mr_crowley said:

Don't know if I've ever told you this but for me your trademark as a producer, ever since Feints, is bad ass sounding drums and they are definitely here. I love how you get those really popping and slamming!

[/quote]
Thanks, P.

Frankie kept telling us: "more drums, more drums!" He's not wrong, either, because our drummer is a beast. So we were all committed to getting a slamming drum sound and featuring it.
merlo_zeppelin

Late to the party but loving it!! I get the same Velvet Revolver vibe that Pontus mentions, and maybe even some 70s glam? T-Rex? Marc Bolan? The vocals definitely have that punk thing, but it mixes nicely with the music.

In everything I hear from Dave I always find a big Iommi influence, in the guitar tone, the spirit of the riffs, even though he tends to go for pop structures, hooky choruses and chord progressions, I always find a Tony Iommi attitude in the guitar work, love that.

The production sounds mean and big.

Congratulations Dave!
Dinosaur David B

Thanks, Merlo!
bourbonsamurai

you're a bad motherfucker these days. ain't ya Dave? lol great work, and your producer chops are off the CHAIN, bruh
eduardoritos

Shit, still haven't the moment you listen to that. I'll try tonight.