I've come to this.

Where old threads go to die.
otcconan

I've come to this.

Just checking my woke card....is Dream Theater using a Black woman to sing the parts sung by a White woman on "Great Gig in the Sky" by Pink Floyd cultural appropriation?

Nah, well, I well,

Let me tell you how I come down on all of this horseshit. I learned my first rock n' roll riffs from Chuck Berry. I later picked up licks from Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen, and Brian May. An American Black serviceman, an immigrant from Holland, and and Englishman....How American is my guitar playing?

British schoolchildren listening to outlaw radio picked up blues radio in the 50's and all a sudden there's a "British blues craze" going on, leading to the Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds, and all that craziness. I could go on and on about this. Music is music. Genre doesn't matter. Run DMC and Aerosmith already proved that, and that was in the '80's. Get the hell over this.

Ever grow vines for wine? Where do the best varietals come from? Something pollinated in Burgundy gets deposited in Bordeaux, and you get a hybrid. Cool, isn't it? Cross-pollinization. Why is this not possible, or even acceptable, or, shall we, preferable in music? Jesus came here to tell us there were no limits. He SHOWED us there were no limits when he rose. The people who killed him were RULED by limits. Everything was structured and organized, even the food you ate, and who you ate with, depending on whether he had part of his manhood removed or didn't (yeah, that's a clinical way to say circumcision).

Why do we treat music as this static, sterile thing that should never be changed? What kind of fool tells Uli John Roth he can't play "The Four Seasons" by Vivaldi on electric guitar? Why can't I play "America The Beautiful" arranged for 4 electric guitars? Why?

THE REPRESSION OF FREEDOM IS THE REPRESSION OF ARTISTIC EXPRESSION. SOMETHING MAN NEEDS TO SURVIVE. TAKE THAT FROM HIM, AND SURELY THE SEED HE PLANTS, WILL DIE. (write that down, if you like, it's not a quote, it's me)

So, everybody, loosen up when you say "these kids these days with their music" and such. Because their music came frome somewhere. Likely somewhere about 10 years ago in their timeline, but it's in human DNA. Music. It's there. How can a half-deaf 51 year old man wake up, with a song in his head, go downstairs to his piano, and repeat the notes he heard? (or grab his guitar from mid sleep and do it, for that matter) I have perfect pitch. I did not really believe something like that existed until my father tested me. Closeblinded, he played one note on the piano. It was an Eb. I called it out.

Shut up and just call it MUSIC and enjoy it in all it's forms. The world is better for it, and so are all of us. No, it's not a TED Talk, just the ramblings of an overworked retail slave. There you go.

And rock on!

Dinosaur David B

I've come to this.

John. I've tolerated your many drunken rambles here for years because you've been a member for years and you do it infrequently. But if you mention Jesus on this forum again, you're banned. Understand?
Every cord/cable is a cunt.