So, I guess I've watched and tried hundreds of videos

A place to discuss specific playing techniques.
Dargavel

I have exactly two sweeps I can do. I practiced a two octave minor arpeggio to within an inch of my life, and a corresponding 1 octave down sweep. I use neither of them in my regular playing, as I've moved into a much more . It sounds like you've done more than enough research on the subject, but I think Andy's tips on practicing are a good place to start. Nothing beats dedicated practice, which I can soundly say because I have lost so much speed and precision recently due to a lack of dedicated practice.
Dr Nick

I'm also very limited with sweep picking - if I think I need a sweep within a song I'll practice THAT SWEEP until it's ok, use it, and then probably forget it until the next time. I certainly don't do prolonged sweep stuff, and hybrid picking is an occasional thing as well - I can do it if I have to, but need to work up to it.

Basically I don't play enough, so these advanced things tend to atrophy.

Shame really.
Nick Layton

Sweeping is not that difficult compared to mastering alternate picking, for example. As Andy said it really comes down to massive repetition with good form. When I was first learning it back in the day there weren't any Youtube videos to watch, it was mainly what I could glean from instructional books/videos/magazines in the late 80's early 90's. I truly sucked at it and almost gave up in the beginning. It seemed impossible. But I made a decision to give it 3 months of consistent work...then one day, low and behold, it started to click. Now it's easy and I don't practice it or use it a ton in my playing...just here and there. But I love having it as a tool for expression.

One thing I found is that certain shapes and patterns helped me more than others. My advice is to stick to a few simple exercises in the beginning and hammer them with massive repetition.

Mike I know you have already seen this, but if any of you other guys are looking for a guide to help with sweeping I've got a free tutorial you can check out here: http://www.melodicfireleadguitar.com
Haffner

I'm too freewheeling/Iommic a player to be precise when sweeping (but all respect to those whom are, it takes a lot of work!).

I do use sweeps when I feel they fit what I'm doing. I try not to play too many obvious, perfect root-third-fifth oriented chord patterns, preferring to superimpose outside, "weird" notes over the base chords when the spirit moves me,

I just started with three note patterns I picked up from the more rudimentary Guitar One magazines, then Joe Stump sent me a bunch of instructional dvds and live stuff with him playing. Just watching him made me much more interested. I told him last year that I was really inspired to learn how to sweep from his videos...but then I just started mangle-morphing it into my own thing until it was unrecognizable from what he does lol! I was always concerned about making my own way with the stuff I learned.

These days I prefer to listening to Blackmore do his sweep-dabbling on "Knocking At Your Back Door" than I do the virtuosic masters of the technique. I like the sound of it over brutal death metal, too.

But that's just me, and I'm first to admit it's amazing when people really nail that technique, no doubt.

Vandenberg

I have always found that when I have used it ( sweeping) it felt wrong, a bit like tapping, I can do it but for ME personally I don't have anything to say with it, that hasn't been said before, just my bag on it, great technique is still a worthy pursuit, on another note ~I always found that sweeping was really annoying in the end, just sounding like a lollipop stick in bike wheel, a bit like slap on the bass just because you can doesn't mean you should imho.:)
Bytor

I'm not looking for sweeping to be my mainstay or prominent technique.. I just want to be proficient at it. And I am not :s
Joebuddha

So for me sweeping came through just practicing one exercise over and over again for months.