Paul Gilbert 2019-05-31 Token Lounge, Westland, MI (Detroit)

Put any concert reviews you might want to do, here.
guitard

Paul is touring in support of his latest CD "Behold Electric Guitar" (release May 17, 2019) and he truly is supporting this release on this tour as ten of the 16 songs he performed are on the new CD (see bolded song names below). Also somewhat surprising (to me, at least) is that Paul played slide on nine of the 16 songs he performed. He has a very nifty way of seamlessly switching between playing with a slide and playing without a slide - which he does by attaching the slide onto the body of the guitar just below the neck. You can see this in the Youtube video link I've included (starting at the 2:42 mark).

Paul loves to talk between songs to explain how the next song came about. Most of the time, I don't like this as it becomes tedious - especially for someone like me who came to see a guy play guitar, not joke with the crowd. However, Paul is not only an amazing musician, he's also a really funny guy who has a great way of entertaining you with his witty stories and explanations. You can see and example of his story telling at the beginning of the video sample below.

I thought it was kind of a light crowd for a Friday night. That didn't seem to bother Paul at all though. I got there a little early and was able to get in the front and watch Paul from a distance of 5-6 feet or so.

1. Blues For Rabbit

2. Havin' It

3. Green-Tinted Sixties Mind (slide)

4. Gonna Fly Now (Theme From Rocky) (slide)

5. Let That Battery Die (slide)

6. Everywhere That Mary Went

7. Sir, You Need To Calm Down

8. I Own A Building (slide)

9. A Herd Of Turtles

10. Every Snare Drum

11. Fly By Night (slide)

12. Racer X / Beatles medley (slide)

13. Life's Been Good (slide)

14. Still I'm Sad (slide)

15. Things Can Walk To You

16. Love Is The Saddest Thing (slide)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8rFh204mhc

Jay G

Seeing Paul in just 3 days. I love Paul. While not my favorite set any Paul is better than no Paul. Had tickets to see him just this past September but was hospitalized for emergency surgery and missed the show. I was devastated. It was only my 2nd missed show in 41 years and over 1000 shows. My health issues has been flaring up the past several weeks but there is no way I am missing this weeks show.
Jay G

Great show last night. Playing was stellar though not typical Paul and the stories were great. He is just another great technical musician who does not take himself or the music business in general too serious.