Trans Siberian Orchestra, Smoothie King Arena, NOLA 12/20/17

Put any concert reviews you might want to do, here.
bourbonsamurai

i’m very excited to be bringing my son Erik to his first rock show in 15 years tonight. i can only hope they play Carmina Burana!
bourbonsamurai

ImageImage

positives:

1) TSO still writes the book on live Gibson/Mashall guitar crunch. never clicky or thin, always FAT FAT FAT. goddamn that has got to be a lot of fun.

2) TSO is at their absolute best doing the neoclassic thing. ripping harmonic minor scales, bombastic power chord accents, etc. Christmas Eve Sarajevo, etc.

3) the BEST production, as ever. TSO make the Kiss Love Gun tour look a bit pedestrian.

negatives:

1) no Carmina Burana

2) TSO should not play blues or swing (lol) EVER. this is the whitest band in history. even the black cast members have Augusta National tattoos.
mr_crowley

Awesome! I would love catching TSO live. Probably won't happen on this side of the pond though, at least not with the full production which is at least a point why see them.
bourbonsamurai

mr_crowley said:

Awesome! I would love catching TSO live. Probably won't happen on this side of the pond though, at least not with the full production which is at least a point why see them.

[/quote]
it’s worth it just to hear that CRRRUNCH. best live arena guitar tone i’ve ever heard.
Venomboy

They put on a good show. But every time I’ve seen them on the West Coast the guitars sound like they’re coming out of a Line6.
bourbonsamurai

it wasn’t any sort of modeler on this gig. live amps, what kind, i don’t know.
Duojett71

I saw the East Coast tour the Christmas before last. The two main guitarists were Chris Caffery and Joel Hoekstra. They were amazing. The did do some of that blues and swing when I saw them because there was a Christmas in New York theme in a section of the the show...and that was the part that Russell Allen sang. I thought it worked. These people are top caliber musicians and can pretty much play anything.....I thought they pulled it off. It was a hell of a show. i was glad I finally got to see it.
bourbonsamurai

Duojett71 said:

I saw the East Coast tour the Christmas before last. The two main guitarists were Chris Caffery and Joel Hoekstra. They were amazing. The did do some of that blues and swing when I saw them because there was a Christmas in New York theme in a section of the the show...and that was the part that Russell Allen sang. I thought it worked. These people are top caliber musicians and can pretty much play anything.....I thought they pulled it off. It was a hell of a show. i was glad I finally got to see it.

[/quote]
the TSO “blues” and “soul” only sounds good until you hear the real thing by comparison.. which is OK, Doug Alsrich can’t play blues either. lol this year’s show was about HALF the production they usually stage, and it was STILL18 semis full of stuff..