A repair nightmare.

Hey Guys,
 So most of you guys that I have met know that I play a really beat to shit looking Strat that started life as a Mary Kaye Custom Shop Relic. When I got it, it had a beautiful curly maple one piece neck that was never right. I had that neck on it for 11 years and I would say that in that time I probably got about a months worth of playing time on it. There was one occasion in particular back in 98 were I was playing it onstage in mid July and during the second song of our set the neck bowed mid song! 
 So anyway about 12 years ago I had my then repair guy who I loved and trusted replace the neck with an Allparts Baseball bat neck that I absolutely adore. That guitar replaced my PRS and every other guitar I own as my main instrument, I almost never play any of my other guitars except for my Tele and that doesn't even get the love that it should.
Over the years I have tried many pickups but for the last few years I have had Duncan Little 59's in both the neck and bridge and recently decided that I wanted to change out the neck pickup. So after looking around at my options I decided to switch to a YJM Fury. 
 My current repair guy Evan Gluck who has been voted best repair guy in the country a few times and does product reviews for Stew Mac was backed up and going out of town. So a buddy of mine who owns a small guitar shop in Brooklyn convinced me to let his guy work on my baby. So I drop off the guitar with the pickup and a set of strings in the gig bag to my buddy on a Tuesday expecting to get it back in a couple of days.  By Friday I started to get a little antsy without my main squeeze and I reach out to my buddy to get an ETA on its return. He informs me that his repair guy was almost done with the fretwork and that he should have it back to me by Monday. My response was "FRET WORK? I only wanted the pickup swapped out!"  My buddy explained that his guy would do that but that the frets were really worn and that they needed a grind and polish. My stomach turned I was literally sick at the thought of someone grinding my frets, I love big frets, I grew up playing scalloped fingerboards and I hate low or small frets.  My buddy tells me not to worry his guy is "The Best" and that I'll love it when I get it back. 
 So Monday comes and I call my friend to ask about the guitar, he tells me that his guy hadn't realized that I needed the pickup changed and that he was swapping it out now.  I was able to control my temper with him on the phone but when I picked up the guitar the next day I went through the fucking roof. 
 The dude had set the guitar up and then had to pull off the strings to switch the pickup and instead of using a new set of strings he put the ones that were on there back on sloppily, then he set the bridge pup to high so that my high E didn't ring at all, also the 3 middle pup positions were noisy and intermittent, Once I took off the strings adjusted the pickup height and restrung it the set up sucked and I couldn't bend above the 10th fret without it fretting out.  I tried to adjust the neck and do my own set up but to no avail.
The worst part is that this guy who I've never met decided without asking that my guitar was too dirty and cleaned off the 12 years of dirt and grime that I had never touched!! I was so pissed off I couldn't see straight.
So I emailed Evan with the heading "Dude, I'm sorry but" and I dropped it off with him this past Monday and I am about to go and pick it up. 
 Evan's response after seeing it was that they had "Fucked your guitar up dude" 
So anyway I am now heading out to pick up my baby and I have once again learned my lesson about repair guys once and for all.

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,270
    edited July 2020
    Ugh. That's awful.  Sounds like the fool who plained Blackmore's scalloped fingerboard flat on his #1 because it looked worn.

What's with these idiots?  JUST DO THE JOB YOU WERE ASKED TO DO -- NOTHING MORE. If you find something else that seems wrong, PHONE ME and ASK.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Before and after photos please. 
    "These riffs were built to last a lifetime." Keith Richards B)

BDR-529  

Member:
    Squier Army
    Schecter Society

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,313
    My god, that was painful to read. It's like that idiot that "fixed" EVH's No.1 Marshall in the 90's and destroyed the Brown Sound.

I know a couple guys like that. There's this guy locally that claims to be great at his stuff, but has more bad reviews I can count. He has wrecked more than a few otherwise fine instruments.

I hope you can salvage something out of this.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,802
    I had similar issues twice  (different guys). 
    It's a nightmare. 

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,597
    Oh damn...that sucks Joe....I hope you gave your friend an earful about his jack leg luthier...
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,638
    that is awful.  there's a store here in town that has a similar hack in the shop, and he's been there for YEARS.  i'll try to find a photo of the "fretjob" he did on one of my guitars years ago and post it.  it's crazy how thusly incompetent people somehow manage to retain employment.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,143
    Well the good news is that I got it back from my guy and it plays great.
    Jury is still out on the new pickup though.
    Joebuddha said:
    I have been curious about those Fury pickups for a while, so if you can share your thoughts on them it would be really appreciated.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,802
    Joebuddha said:
    I have been curious about those Fury pickups for a while, so if you can share your thoughts on them it would be really appreciated.
    Me too. 

I hate the 60 cicle hum. 
    I think Duojet and Bytor have them or have had them. I looked at them when I was doing my Moorecaster, but the specifications showed the Hot Stack Plus (which I chose) accented the mids more, and the YJM Fury was voiced a bit brighter.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    I wonder if guitar techs who go through "Tech School" ever get good enough to be a shadow of the guys who came up through the trenches? If any tech altered a single thing on one of my guitars I hadn't asked for I'd have him / her  or the store he / she works for paying me the price of a replacement guitar to the exact specs of the guitar they ruined for me. Screw up doing something I requested and you'll never see my face again. Screw up my axe doing something I didn't request and you'll owe me a new one no matter what the price.
    I understand the sentiment, but good luck collecting. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,143
    So for me this is a weird situation to be in, I teach both my friend and his kid plus I occasionally work at the store he owns back when working was a thing. He didn't charge me for the "repair" and my guy basically charged me to undo what the other guy did and install the pickup. 
     As far as the pickup goes I don't think I like it. I haven't had the chance to play it through anything other than my little Vox practice amp but I expected more. It's very dark sounding and not quite single coil enough. 
    But I'll live with it for a bit and make a decision in a while. 
    I am picking up my 540S on Wednesday so I'll have that to play with for a while and I ordered a new Floyd from FU-Tone and a Zebra Coil F spaced Screaming Demon to put into my ESP M1 Deluxe one of my buddies is recommending I try The Chopper in the neck position of that one. 
    @Joebuddha ;
    Where is Evan's shop located? I found the website, but it just says "upper Manhattan." 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
    I think Duojet and Bytor have them or have had them. I looked at them when I was doing my Moorecaster, but the specifications showed the Hot Stack Plus (which I chose) accented the mids more, and the YJM Fury was voiced a bit brighter.
    That tells me all I need. I am not into overly bright sounds, and YJM’s tone these days is so ear piercing I wouldn’t want anything like that. 

Those stack models seem like a Better fit for me.