One Last Melancon (New Pictures)

2»

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,271
    edited December 2019
    Glad it arrived safely from Singapore!
    Now that it did, I can tell you that I once had a pair of expensive, custom boots that did NOT never arrived from Singapore! (I didn't want to scare you). The bootmaker had to send me a second pair that arrived.  Not as easy to do that for a guitar made by a dead guy. 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • LerxstFan said:
    I really think your new guitar is the best of the bunch. Amazing. 
    I don't know about that but it certainly looks like a superb axe indeed. Maybe it's the fact it's the only one that's a real Tele? Let's be honest, the others are a Strat and a Les Paul in Tele shape....
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,781
    LerxstFan said:
    I don't know about that but it certainly looks like a superb axe indeed. Maybe it's the fact it's the only one that's a real Tele? Let's be honest, the others are a Strat and a Les Paul in Tele shape....

Part of the reason I like the new one is the fact that it is a "real" tele. The other part is that I love the neck as well as that color. 
  • LerxstFan said:

Part of the reason I like the new one is the fact that it is a "real" tele. The other part is that I love the neck as well as that color. 
    Yep. That neck is pure eye candy, and I bet it plays just awesome too. I might change my perception of teles due to this thread...
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    LerxstFan said:
    Pretty close on the Suhr Tele, (Strat control layout, "57 Strat extra deep belly contour and Strat bridge. The pickup layout, however, is the same as a "Nashville Tele" with a Suhr Classic Telecaster in the neck, a Suhr Strat V60 in the middle and a no longer available Suhr Broadcaster pickup in the bridge. I think they may have renamed that one to avoid problems with the Fender Custom shop. Also, unlike both a Strat or Tele, the slanted broadcaster pickup is mounted "direct to wood" in a carved out cavity in front of the Strat bridge. A medium "C" back of neck carve with a 12" radius on a neck of dark Pau Ferro. The body wood is alder.

On my "long time #1 electric guitar, (Melancon Custom T), I myself refer to it as a Les Paul +++ in a T-Style body and neck. The specs. ........ The body is mahogany with a burl maple top in gloss clear coat sporting a pair of Gerard's own PAF style pickups with a three way switch. That much, (body woods and pickups), match the Les Paul build. I call it a +++ because it has a 10" radius neck, (which I prefer), rather than Gibsons 12", a 1.65 string spacing rather than Fenders original 1 5/8" or Gibsons 1 11/16", (exactly half way between the two), a neck shape that feels like a '59 Les Paul at the twelfth fret but becomes a Fender medium "C" at the nut, a flat mount Strat bridge because of the flat top and a Fender 25.5" scale length, (all three guitars have this scale). If you noted the "mini" switch hidden just behind the tone knob that's a three way that turns both pickups into "two humbuckers in parallel", "split for two single coils" or "two humbuckers in series". This guitar really was Gerards creation that would include the best of both Gibsons and Fenders classic builds and I consider his goal a complete success. For someone like myself who grew up whipping back and forth between Fender and Gibson models the Melancon Custom T was a dream come true. I own more expensive guitars. I own more beautiful tops and necks. I don't care. This is my #1 electric guitar. I knew it the first time I played it and to this day that hasn't, and never will, change. Gerard Melancon somehow picked out my favorite specs from both brands and created my "inmyhands, arlum lightfinger, Richard Miller masterpiece instrument. It formed a bond with Gerard in my mind I could never break. And then ..... Gerard passed away. I bought my new Melancon in remembrance of and to honor Gerard. The builder that matched my own deepest desires for a guitar build. In my opinion..... The Master Builder.

And to LerxstFan ..........  I agree with you 100%. When I went to look for a guitar to honor Gerard I kept thinking "where did it all start?"  What did he select as his favorite base to build upon? While he also built other body shapes his #1 choice was always the Fender Tele shape X the Fender '57 Strat belly contour. This resulted in a guitar that looked like a Tele but incorporated everything that made the Stratocaster so damn balanced and comfortable. The deep carve, ('57 Strat models), made the body form fit the players body while, at the same time, lightening the body weight and creating a perfect balance between neck and body. You can remove your hands from the guitar and it hangs in exactly the perfect position. 

Because this was now the end for the models he would create and I felt I already owned owned his "best of all things learned" over a long career I thought I should go back to the the origin. Where did it all start? What was the font? What was the birth place of all Melancon models? The 1950s.  The Telecaster build. The color of my new Pro T reminded me of Elvis Presleys 1955 Cadillac Fleeetwood. The maple fretboard was mandatory but the unbelievable birdseye maple was a killer bonus. The ashtray bridge was mandatory and Wilkinson has a good reputation for quality. In spite of very few offerings of "brand new" for Melancon guitars still available I was lucky to find this one. I passed up some of his killer "last custom builds" that were priced far higher that Debi had already given her permission to purchase. They were truly magnificent but I already had my #1. I wanted his version of the starting point. I love my new Tele. Everything about it screams 1950s. Even "Alice" had a starting "hole" to enter. That's what my new Melancon means to me.
  • Pinky! 
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,143
    That salmon pink is gorgeous and I love a beveled Tele!

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    edited December 2019
    Thank you everyone. Your opinions and thoughts on my instruments mean a lot to me. Respect to all of you.

Note to Joebuddha ...
                 Because I consider you one of the most accomplished guitarists, music instructors, and among the most knowledgable about all things guitar related among our membership, (based on Amy's posts, Dave's posts and phone calls, your contributions to the Dino forum, the lessons and advice you offer, a skill level few players ever achieve and my own increase in knowledge and skill based on your posts and links), in one sentence you've made my day and possibly my week. 

Truly. I love my new Melancon T-Style  ........  :s  ....... screw it. I Love My New Melancon Telecaster. =) This guitar has all the ingredients of the original Fender Telecaster X the improvements I wish Fender would have made to their Telecaster model over the years. 

I wonder why no one at Fender ever put two and two together and realized a huge portion of the long term popularity of their follow up guitar build, (The Stratocaster), probably had more to do with its ultra comfortable body contours and perfect balance when hanging on a strap. Sure. In the '50s the Strats sexy spacey body shape pushed sales in a big way but, over the years, multiple guitar shapes from other manufacturers are comparatively equal or even better and yet the Strat will probably never leave production. It's simply the most comfortable body shape ever made. I would have thought someone at Fender would have thought to offer a guitar that combined the best of both models. In my opinion this combination, (with larger frets), would be electric guitar perfection. My new Shell Pink Melancon Pro T is exactly that. The best of a '52 to '54 Telecaster X the best of a '56 / '57 Stratocaster. I couldn't be more pleased!
    Post edited by inmyhands on
  • Joebuddha said:
    That salmon pink is gorgeous and I love a beveled Tele!
    I personally would not call that color Salmon pink -- too subdued (I've eaten a LOT of lox). It's also not Pepto pink. After looking around, I guess it is what they call it: Shell Pink.  
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,934
    Congrats!  That's a very refined take on the rawest of all guitar designs. The birdseye maple neck is gorgeous.