UFO Appreciation

Today is all things UFO for me musically. I found this after listening to all my UFO stuff....I'm not sure I've ever seen this one before. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZkKmuHclV4

Comments

• Yes. The Roundhouse videos. A great record of Schenker-era UFO, though I don't believe it's the pinnacle of Schenker on video. I think his best work captured on film is the MSG 81 Rockpalast footage.

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,725
    Yeah, for sure the Rockpalast stuff is aweosme and I still watch it regularly. I love this just for Way and Moog alone. They are both really on it in these shows.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,484
    Yeah I remember those videos. I think the first one may be the only live video footage with Danny Peyronel on keyboards. Cool footage....even with the awkward stage clothes.... =)
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    Yes. The Roundhouse videos. A great record of Schenker-era UFO, though I don't believe it's the pinnacle of Schenker on video. I think his best work captured on film is the MSG 81 Rockpalast footage.

Love the Rockpalast footage ditto the Roundhouse stuff... this from 83 is also a personal fave, loads of awesome close-ups... just wish it was more than a measly 20 mins....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPkMivnHpkY
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,794
    Osky said:
    Yes. The Roundhouse videos. A great record of Schenker-era UFO, though I don't believe it's the pinnacle of Schenker on video. I think his best work captured on film is the MSG 81 Rockpalast footage.

Love the Rockpalast footage ditto the Roundhouse stuff... this from 83 is also a personal fave, loads of awesome close-ups... just wish it was more than a measly 20 mins....

Same here, I love the Rockpalast footage, but the Dortmund 1983 recording is my definitive Schenker reference. It's completely out of this world. 

As for Schenker-era UFO, I always thought the studio releases had a lot of filler, so "Strangers of The Night" easily supersedes them AFAIC.  Maybe it's heresy, but my favorite studio album of UFO is "The Wild, The Willing and The Innocent" with Paul Chapman. Songs and arrangements are consistently strong on that one. "Making Contact" isn't too shabby either, although it's more "commercial" sounding.  For some reason, I never liked "Mechanix" as much as those two, but it's quite good too. 

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,941
    edited October 2019
    Strangers for me, and Obsession.
    But I also really like The Wild, The Willing and the innocent, Makin Contact, Mechanix and Misdemenour.

Atomik Tommy Mcclendon was rather underrated back then, imo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fGCCITHDVM

Post edited by Agrippa on
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    edited October 2019
    Ditto Strangers and Obsession for the Schenker years. I too have a soft spot for The Wild, The Willing and the innocent (TWTWATI LOL!) as that was the tour I first saw the band live on in early 1981. Tonka played his arse off and did a stellar job but although his playing to me is exciting and interesting, it doesn't hit me in the soul like Michael's does. But on its own merits its a great rock album and probably my fave non-Schenker LP.
    Post edited by Osky on
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,725
    For my part, as far as UFO's studio albums are concerned, I think Obsession and No Heavy Petting are their peak. There are more fillers on the others, but those two are rock solid. 
  • Making contact is my favourite Chapman LP.   Doing it all for you my favourite track. 
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,077
    I personally thought all their "filler" tunes were quite good during the Mad Mikey era; they were like an art rock/heavy rock band back then.Some of the more obscure tunes on each release (Phenomenon/Force It/No Heavy Petting/Lights Out & Obsession) were just as good as their more Dino stuff IMO....
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,484
    Osky said:

Same here, I love the Rockpalast footage, but the Dortmund 1983 recording is my definitive Schenker reference. It's completely out of this world. 

As for Schenker-era UFO, I always thought the studio releases had a lot of filler, so "Strangers of The Night" easily supersedes them AFAIC.  Maybe it's heresy, but my favorite studio album of UFO is "The Wild, The Willing and The Innocent" with Paul Chapman. Songs and arrangements are consistently strong on that one. "Making Contact" isn't too shabby either, although it's more "commercial" sounding.  For some reason, I never liked "Mechanix" as much as those two, but it's quite good too. 

I personally never thought their was a lot of filler on the Schenker era UFO stuff. 'Obsession' and 'Lights Out' are my favorites of that era......I also think the Chapman era records are as strong. 'No Place To Run' is great as are most of the others with him. I think the Chapman era is very underappreciated in general and I think Paul Chapman was a great player.