Apple to end iTunes

LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,660
Well, this sucks for me. Maybe for some of you as well. Early on, I bought a ton of iTunes songs. I wonder if they will pull the license agreement for the songs people bought?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/apple-set-to-get-rid-of-itunes-reports-say/

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,607
    And replace it with something worse. That requires a dongle.
    When I was 16, I had three bumper stickers on the back of my Dodge Dart: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and The WHO.  Not much has changed. 
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,660
    Yep, time to move on LOL
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 589
    I imagine they'll have a way in place to let users keep the individual tunes previously purchased.  It'll be interesting (and probably painful) to see how this works out for us long-time Apple users.  
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,509
    I dind"t trust on that service just because of that thing. Id always suposse that gonna ends that way.

Your money on songs you don't own and, suddendly, turned off. 
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,739
    I use the iTunes app exclusively to manage my backup library of ripped CDs, and to burn CDs too.  So, as long as there's a substitute for that, I'll be fine. I never used their online store, as I never wanted to pay for music files that are password protected, and not transferable to standard devices.
    For the most part, I always bought downloadable MP3s from Amazon. They don't pull all the proprietary crap that Apple does.
    When I was 16, I had three bumper stickers on the back of my Dodge Dart: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and The WHO.  Not much has changed. 
    It's timely that this was announced now, I was just thinking about this happening a few nights ago.  I'd read another article that says that Apple will still allow access to purchased songs in the new apps, but I think the writing is on the wall.  I'll probably be converting my purchased/imported from CD/converted iTunes songs to MP3s shortly and backing them up, which I should already have done by now.  I've purchased MP3s from Amazon before, but only when iTunes didn't have the songs I was looking for.  From here on out I'll do the reverse.  Streaming is great and I've come around to using and liking it, but I still prefer to own the songs by my favorite artists.  
  • Eclipse IIEclipse II Posts: 292
    Haven’t used iTunes in years since I moved to Spotify. It was always awful though. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,379
    I tried to use my Itunes on my phone this morning in my car. When I clicked on the app it didn't do anything and then the app just disappeared altogether. Luckily I have the Amazon music app on my phone and started using that. Itunes is still on my Mac....I wonder what will happen to all the songs I have imported from my CD's? Also the songs I have purchased? I guess I will try to back everything up somehow.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,791
    Duojett71 said:
    I tried to use my Itunes on my phone this morning in my car. When I clicked on the app it didn't do anything and then the app just disappeared altogether. Luckily I have the Amazon music app on my phone and started using that. Itunes is still on my Mac....I wonder what will happen to all the songs I have imported from my CD's? Also the songs I have purchased? I guess I will try to back everything up somehow.
    Geez. This is starting to sound like a pain in the neck. I will definitely back up everything later today. I have never bought a single song from their store, but I have a lot of CDs backed up there, some which i no longer own physically.
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,660
    I have a back up of iTunes on a removable hard drive. I think it is alright so long as it is on a computer, I am playing songs on this PC at the moment. I am not going to do any Apple updates on iTunes. Who knows, maybe I will get to keep it rolling for awhile. Either way, I am never buying another Apple product. 
    LerxstFan said:
    I am not going to do any Apple updates on iTunes. 
    WARNING: That won't do it!  iTunes is now embedded in the OS. It's not a separate application anymore. You can no longer just upgrade iTunes separate from the OS.   If you want the latest iTunes, you have to upgrade the whole damn OS. So don't let them do any auto upgrades if you can help it. 

Apple have become total tech Nazis, and I too will not buy another Mac laptop, though I'm stuck with mine for now and my work-issued one. 

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,379
    I just read that Apple is dropping Itunes and introducing Apple Music. They say it is supposed to run faster and is more streamlined. Apparently Itunes got away from what it was supposed to be. All the music you have on your Itunes library will transfer over to the Apple Music App once you update to the Catalina OS.
  • M11M11 Posts: 824
    edited June 2019
    According to this article:
    Does my iTunes collection go away?
    No way. Every song you've ever bought, ripped, uploaded or imported will already be part of Apple Music when you upgrade from your current Mac OS version to Catalina. All the files that are already on your computer will remain. Apple isn't liquidating anything you already own, but it will reorganize where the files live.

Even my ripped CDs, MP3s and playlists?
    Yep, even those. You'll find them in your Apple Music library.
    The thing that worried me the most was this:
    What happens to iTunes Match?
    iTunes Match is a feature that gives you access to a song you bought through another service, say Amazon. Apple Music already has the feature built in, so you won't miss out if you subscribe.
    I've been using iTunes Match for years so I can have available, in the cloud, the music that is not available on iTunes (or any other streaming platform for that matter) but that I ripped from my CD collection.

Post edited by M11 on
    As I understand this, the iTunes Match functionality will be built into Apple Music when you upgrade to Catalina so nothing will be lost.  For people like me that have been paying for both Apple Music and iTunes Match, I wonder if we will stop being billed for iTunes Match subscriptions and/or if Apple Music pricing will increase when we upgrade.