Science Fiction

2»

Comments

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    LerxstFan said:
    I find most movie and TV SciFi to be pretty horrible, although I did love 2001 and its sequel. I suppose there are more, but I am mostly a reader and tend to quickly forget anything I see in the theater or on TV.
    Same here!  I'm huge fan of the big  "Space Opera" novels, by the likes of Alastair Reynolds and the mighty Iain M. Banks.
    As an aside - If like me, you like to have music playing while you're reading, check out Darkspace. They're a Swiss(?) black metal band who specialize in dark, disturbing SciFi soundscapes. Great for background soundtracks!
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,697
    LerxstFan said:
    I love the TOS of Star Trek as well as the movies it spawned. The Next Gen was awesome as well, but I have lost intrest in everything else that came out after that. I dug the first Star Wars movie, but don't care much about the rest of the franchise. I am a huge Red Dwarf fan, especially trhe first 5 seasons. Beyond that, I get my SciFi fix through books. Philip Dick, Clarke, Heinlein (Especially Tunnel in the Sky), Asimov, Niven's Integral Trees, Haldeman's Forever War, to name a few. I find most movie and TV SciFi to be pretty horrible, although I did love 2001 and its sequel. I suppose there are more, but I am mostly a reader and tend to quickly forget anything I see in the theater or on TV.
    you ever read Harry Harrison's 'Stainless Steel Rat' series?  if you like Heinlein, i think you'll like it.
    Hey Cary, yes I've read most of the Rat series. Harrison was a blast to read. So was David Drake's Hammer Slammers. 
    BTW Cary and Snoogans, the Starfist series by Dan Cragg and David Sherman is also a fun read. Space marines like in Ian Douglas' series, but written more for fun. 
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    LerxstFan said:
    BTW Cary and Snoogans, the Starfist series by Dan Cragg and David Sherman is also a fun read. Space marines like in Ian Douglas' series, but written more for fun. 
    I'll look out for them!
    I've just completed Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series, Good stuff - think Battlestar Galactica as written by Tom Clancy.
    Snoogans said:
    LerxstFan said:
    I'll look out for them!
    I've just completed Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series, Good stuff - think Battlestar Galactica as written by Tom Clancy.
    I've read the first two books in that series. They were really good.

• bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,549
    LerxstFan said:
    Space Marines are my favorite sci fi trope.  Starship Troopers, anyone?  also, have any of you read the Master and Commander series, by Patrick O'Brien?  the world of wood, iron, and sail, isn't much different than science fiction.  i think there's 20 total books.
    Yeah, Starship Troopers was a fun ride for sure. Military SciFi has some awesome offerings.