uncomfortable truths

2»

Comments

• MAdXMAdX Posts: 1,993
    I'm reading a great book at the moment talks about this; the War of Art by Steven Pressfield. 

"A pro sees her work as craft, not art. Not because she believes art is devoid of a mystical dimension. On the contrary. She understands that all creative endeavour is holy, but she doesn't dwell on it. [...] The sign of the amateur is overglorification of and preoccupation with the mystery. The professional shuts up. She doesn't talk about it. She does her work."

Great read if you want to become serious with any sort of dream or aspiration in life. 
  • Andy GAndy G Posts: 1,006
    Speaking as a professional musician, I can tell you categorically - if you want to get paid, you have to deliver what the customer/client/audience wants. Simple as that. Studying different styles will help you cover the bases. It's hard to make a living from music and most musicians need every edge they can get. 

However, diversity does not equal brilliance. As a musician, having the ability to take any gig going is great for paying the bills, but as a listener, I'd rather listen to a master who is passionate about his chosen style than a jack-of-all-trades ANY day.

• SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    Yep. That is pretty much it. It all depends on what you want to do in music, and there is no one-size-fits-all answer here. That said, having a larger stylistic vocabulary will make it easier to find ones own musical voice – even if I don't know anybody who approaches this in as impractical a manner as the opening meme suggests.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,646
    I totally agree with Andy G. I have an appreciation for most all forms of music but readily agree that no one becomes the best at playing any style by playing all styles. It's the player that picks 1, 2 or 3 similar styles and works hard at perfecting them that truly becomes a master. Whether it be SRV, B.B. King, EVH, Paisley, Page, Blackmore, Chet, Iommi or YJM ......... dedication and practice to a particular style is the path to perfection.

Because I play to write and write in so many different styles I gave up on guitar greatness long ago. At times I have to struggle to be adequate to perform the music I write.

I love the electric guitar but will never master it. I'm good with that. All you need is love.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,048
    I'm not a pro, but I don't care; I still consider myself a musician......I play what I love, plain & simple. I don't care about being percieved a "serious musician" or whatnot by someone who has a particular philosophy; I play what I love, when I want to play it, how I  want to play it.I don't care about paying the bills when I'm playing music, & I don't believe that makes me any less of a musician. Talk about a can of worms....we all have our own version of reality/beliefs etc. but I'd never make a bold statement & proclaim it law....but, that's just me. 
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,549
    Stitsel said:
    I'm not a pro, but I don't care; I still consider myself a musician......I play what I love, plain & simple. I don't care about being percieved a "serious musician" or whatnot by someone who has a particular philosophy; I play what I love, when I want to play it, how I  want to play it.I don't care about paying the bills when I'm playing music, & I don't believe that makes me any less of a musician. Talk about a can of worms....we all have our own version of reality/beliefs etc. but I'd never make a bold statement & proclaim it law....but, that's just me. 
    but..  it IS law, if you want to make valid new music.  you just can't allow yourself to be sewn into a straightjacket, by your own preferences.  the world moves a lot faster than most people think it does.
    but..  it IS law, if you want to make valid new music.  you just can't allow yourself to be sewn into a straightjacket, by your own preferences.  the world moves a lot faster than most people think it does.
    What is "valid new music"? 
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,549
    Andy G said:
    shit people will buy now, and in the future, so you can fuckin eat and pay your rent, and not have to suck some diseased, greasy cock, in order to do so.
    Andy G said:
    shit people will buy now, and in the future, so you can fuckin eat and pay your rent, and not have to suck some diseased, greasy cock, in order to do so.
    Ok. Good luck with that.