Epiphone makes the REAL Viv Campbell siggy LP.

Why the hell couldn't Gibson have made this guitar?

When I was 16, I had three bumper stickers on the back of my Dodge Dart: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and The WHO.  Not much has changed. 

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,366
    That was a cool interview. I wish they had talked about the guitar itself though. I hope its not a typical POS Epiphone for $400-500. Epiphone has put out some cool signature guitars from time to time....but most of their shit sucks. Gibson probably should have put this guitar out and maybe they will....but I imagine it will be another 4k signature LP.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,607
    A very cool interview indeed. I'm surprised this is an Epiphone model. It seems kind of disrespectful of Viv. Epiphone, (compared to Gibson)), is second string right out of the gate and Viv deserves better. 
  • Why the hell couldn't Gibson have made this guitar?

Because the price tag.

Gibson has a minimum, Epiphone not.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,499
    edited February 2019
    The GIBSON sig prom video.

So you can choose on an Epi or Gibby one.

Post edited by eduardoritos on
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,882
    The Epi looks better than the Gibson and more in keeping with Viv's actual LP at the DIO  time.  I actually rather like it.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,599
    They are going all in on Viv aren't they? The Gibson sig, the revived Nightswan and now this? It is cool :)

Seems like a weird choice, yeah, but Epiphone has put out some really nice looking signature guitars these last years... The Brett Hinds is really nice and I would love the Faulkner V - that looks kick ass!
    Also both the Bonamassa and the Slash Firebirds seems like nice guitars which I would love to have. I actually have the Bonamassa one in my "watch list" at Thomann...
    Haven't played any of them though so I don't know what quality it is but I do believe they are fine guitars :) I've heard so at least.

My big problem with Epiphone is that I really don't like their headstocks. I don't think they are pleasing. The "slightly off" look is weird to me... 
  • The Epi looks better than the Gibson and more in keeping with Viv's actual LP at the DIO  time.  I actually rather like it.
    That's my point! 

The Gibson VC sig is a NEW design they created with VC -- and every one I've seen advertised is well over 9lbs.  It has about as much to do with anything VC was ever associated with as the Ace Frehley Signature Washburn has to Ace.

When I was 16, I had three bumper stickers on the back of my Dodge Dart: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and The WHO.  Not much has changed. 
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,882
    The AF-10V now that was crock of shite of a guitar lol

9lbs for the VC? even an elasti strap isn't going to help that brick of an axe.
  • 9lbs for the VC? even an elasti strap isn't going to help that brick of an axe.
    Exactly. And this is a GCS LP.
  • Is Viv a big enough name to warrant a $4000 guitar? He isn't exactly Jimmy Page...

Just like the Faulkner V, it seems to me this Epi can move more units than they could under the Gibson name.

Shame of a Headstock, really. I have never liked the epi shape. Otherwise this could have potential.
  • Is Viv a big enough name to warrant a $4000 guitar? He isn't exactly Jimmy Page...
    I have never been able to figure out what the determining factor is for whether a guy gets a signature Gibson guitar made. It's pretty clear it is NOT just money or popularity. Feels more like they blindly pull names from hats.

Lenny Kravitz gets a signature Flying V. 
    Michael Schenker didn't get a signature Flying V, but I think Rudi did.
    An obscure to the masses John Sykes gets a very expensive, exacting recreation of his black custom.
    Gary Moore doesn't get a very expensive, exacting recreation of the Greeny 59 LP, DOES get a turd of a signature LP with no binding that looks cheap and has nothing to do with his history.

• Lenny Kravitz gets a signature Flying V. 
    An obscure to the masses John Sykes gets a very expensive, exacting recreation of his black custom.
    Gary Moore doesn't get a very expensive, exacting recreation of the Greeny 59 LP, DOES get a turd of a signature LP with no binding that looks cheap and has nothing to do with his history.

Michael vs Rudy kinda makes sense, since in the long run the Scorps are a much bigger band than anything Mad Mike ever did.

The Sykes I just don't get. He basically appeals to the target audience of this site, and I don't think any of us has one.

I remember that Gary LP. Boy what a turd that was...

• Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,730

Lenny Kravitz gets a signature Flying V. 

Michael vs Rudy kinda makes sense, since in the long run the Scorps are a much bigger band than anything Mad Mike ever did.

The Sykes I just don't get. He basically appeals to the target audience of this site, and I don't think any of us has one.

I remember that Gary LP. Boy what a turd that was...

Gibson also make guitars for people who can't play (Grace Potter, Lizzy Hale) whereas Epiphone gets killer players like Jeff Waters of Annihilator or Richie Faulkner...  

Nothing against Epiphone, I own an old korean Epi Iommi signature SG which is a lovely guitar. But apparently these last years they've moved their production to China, and this is not particularly engaging.