The first DRG-designed Dino pedal!

Behold the Dinosaur Rock Guitar Boost Delay

No one has ever made a pedal for the classic DINO LIVE use case of combining a boost for soloing with both fast and slow delays -- without using separate pedals, pedal looper/switchers or custom programmable options. Those options don't fit my scaled-down NYC rig requirements anymore.  So I decided to design a pedal and have it made.

Unlike the Mad Professor Cello and similar pedals combining boost and delay, the DRG Boost Delay is NOT designed to take a clean amp into crunch tone, but rather designed to boost an already-on-crunch-tone amp into a lead/solo tone.

It is basically a TS9 circuit combined with TWO digital delays, designed to work in front of the amp.  It works like this:
  • Dial in your boost settings with the green knobs.
  • Set your two different delay speeds orange D1/red D2.
  • Set the number of repeats you want -- it affects both delays. 
  • Mix is the balance between the wet/dry balance of the delays.
  • The On/Off footswitch on the left engages the pedal. Engaged, you get a green LED, the boost, which ever delay is active with it's corresponding LED.
  • The Delay footswitch on the right toggles between the two delays. 
  • Orange and red LEDs under the corresponding delay knobs shows which delay is active -- even when the pedal is NOT engaged.  
So lets say you set the orange Delay 1 for a slower delay and the red Delay 2 for a faster delay. 90% of the time I used the faster delay, so I leave the fast delay active and disengage the pedal with the On/Off.  Now I'm playing live and I get ready to solo: 
  • I just step on the On/Off, and I get the boost, the fast delay, the green On/Off LED and the red D2 LED.  
  • If I need to switch to a slower delay, I just step on the Delay switch, and I get the boost, the slow delay, the green On/Off LED and the orange D1 LED.
All you really have to do is remember ahead of time, which songs in the set need the slow delay, and make sure you make the slow delay active before you engage the pedal. And you can switch on-the-fly when necessary, with minimal tap-dancing. 

I've got the pedal and am still feeling it out to learn the ins and outs of it.  I may have to make some minor tweaks in the pots and or the wiper resistance in the pots. But otherwise, I think this is going to be pretty cool.
I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

Comments

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,699
    Oh boy...

Guess I won’t be buying the MXR Echoplex now.

i am a total dino player. I don’t do any Andy Summers/ The Edge type of thing,  with very minor Exceptions.

i know you got the idea from Schenker about the slow and fast delays. The boost seems to me like something EVH did in the old days with the echoplex (boosting and adding delay) to his plexi.

When is this gonna be available? This basically looks like the last delay I’ll ever buy.

• Oh boy...

Guess I won’t be buying the MXR Echoplex now.

i am a total dino player. I don’t do any Andy Summers/ The Edge type of thing,  with very minor Exceptions.

i know you got the idea from Schenker about the slow and fast delays. The boost seems to me like something EVH did in the old days with the echoplex (boosting and adding delay) to his plexi.

When is this gonna be available? This basically looks like the last delay I’ll ever buy.

Well it could be a while. First, I have to make sure I get it tweaked how I really want it, and see what tweaks are even possible.  I don't even have a business model in mind yet, but I did tell the guy who built it for me that if it turns out good, I might have a website full of guitarists who might want one.  If that's true, I deserve a cut because I designed it. But I haven't had that conversation with him yet. I'll have to gauge the demand. That's why I'm posting about it now.  Anyone interested in having one of these should chime in on this thread. I'm guessing the production price would be about $200 + shipping.

In the mean time, if you have an immediate need for something like the MXR Echoplex, I wouldn't hold off on buying it waiting for this. You could was sell it later if you determine you'd like one of these more. 
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I'm not in the market for one, because delay in front of the amp never works out for me.
    But kudos on getting custom gear built.
  • Disciple83Disciple83 Posts: 380
    But the MXR Echoplex comes in either the preamp-pedal form or the delay-pedal form. You'd have to get both to truly get the echoplex sound, no?  Unless you purchase the original Echoplex machine.  

I'd totally be interested in the DRG pedal!  I was thinking of getting another delay for precisely the same reason mentioned here at DRG: set one for fast delay, and another for slow.  The fact, that I can have that option AND can simultaneously engage my boost with one stomp would be great.

But so far, Dave, do you have any thoughts on how it sounds.  Does the delay sound good? How's the boost?
  • Sancho said:
    I'm not in the market for one, because delay in front of the amp never works out for me.
    But kudos on getting custom gear built.
    Fair enough. That said, once I have it running the way I want it, I will do a video and you can decide if you think it might.  People should understand it isn't gonna be studio-quality-for-recording fidelity. It supposed to be for live, in-the-moment-level fidelity.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,486
    edited September 2018
    But so far, Dave, do you have any thoughts on how it sounds.  Does the delay sound good? How's the boost?
    The delays sound good.  Both of them are identical and go 0-600 ms.  I'm wondering if I should go dedicated slow and fast? One 0-300, the other 0-600.  Right now, I think they sound better than the overdrive -- I need to test against my real TS9. My initial impression is I need to tweak more out of the ODs Tone control, and on the delay side, perhaps the Mix knob.  Like I said, I probably have to do some tweaking. 

The pedal is a bit noisy, but not more so than 3 separate pedals doing the same job, or my MP Cello from in front of the amp. If your use case is TRULY live/gigging it won't matter much.  If you're in a bedroom Tone Laboratory, it won't be for you.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,968
    I'd love to see a vid demo when you get around to it.It seems I'm always searching for a better delay.....I have a Carbon Copy (I dig it) & an Ernie Ball Ambient Delay which takes a little tweaking but is fun.....& just today my BOSS Space Echo pedal arrived & I really like what I hear so far outta that thing.....but this thing looks really cool.Keep us posted!
  • I'm with Sancho on this one.  I've never had luck with delays in front of the amp either, but would love to see a video demo when the design is finalized.  If it works it works.  I did want to add that for reference the few times I'd seen Schenker play back in 2010-2011 he was running the chorus and (just one at that time) delay through the effects loops of his Marshalls.  But again, if this sounds great there's no arguing with that.  Congrats Dave!
  • In the end of the day, the important thing is how does it sound. I have never used a delay in front of my amp, but I know EVH, Blackmore, or Schenker back in the day did. I am trying to emulate the old guys like them all the time, so if that's what they did when they got those magical tones, that's enough for me. I am not gonna be recording on a studio anytime soon, and if I did, I am sure a professional, studio quality delay would be in order.

But this appeals me for it's practical uses. Just a couple days ago I was thinking about all the tap dancing I do when playin something that needs a different sound for leads. I end up stepping on my tube screamer and then the analog delay. This makes that a breeze. and don't get me started on the slow and fast options...
  • this is rad
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,581
    This is really cool, I will most definitely get one when if it's become available for us to buy :+1: 

Have been pondering about getting the bigger Flashback model (x4?) just to have more delays at my feet but this is a much better solution. I've also struggled live when I've brought out a few pedals with engaging both the delay and the boost when it's time for a solo. This feels like it should do everything a Dino guitarist needs to take the center stage and rip.

I'm eagerly looking forward to sound clips :)
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,551
    So, what's inside ? I'm curious !
  • Here's a down and dirty video I did.  Sadly the studio room is full of all kinds of gear that makes a lot of noise when pedals engage. And I tried with the TS9 and the and the Cello, and they had the same noise issues, so it's not in the pedal.

• eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,444
    Great idea.
    So, turning the mix all the way down, it's a booster only. 3 options.

• i am staying intrigued by this.  if the screamer part sounds right, you got yourself a winner, here, Dave.