favorite non-dino solos

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,747
    Somewhere there's a Davey Johnstone in this convo, too.  I'll have to find the right song . . . 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
    edited July 2018
    Steve Howe may be the best NON-Dino soloist of all time . . . in a ROCK context. 

Around 8 minutes in . . .
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
    edited July 2018
    Robbie Krieger is another guy to consider. What besides Light My Fire should we be talking about?

Scotty Moore, James Burton.
    And Your Bird Can Sing

George. On 12 string.
    edited July 2018
    Ronnie Wood on Maggie May

And you can hum it from memory.  Memorable as fuck. And that's what matters.

Pretty much anything Robbie Blunt did with Robert Plant in the early 80s.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    Another little known Belew solo on a pop tune...

Any love for Alain Johannes (Eleven. QOTSA) here?

Is he Dino or non Dino?  I wondered bout him because QOTSA can lean Dino.
    Hmmm good question, borderline maybe...he's more from the Alt Rock side...Gabrels, Belew etc but heavier. He was only in QOTSA for a year or two.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,549
    why even with the categories, now?  we all like “Dino” artists because we grew up where 50 and 100w half stacks were de rigeur, and certain folks used those tools to great effect.  yet, Metallica has been touring with Fractal Axe FXii “amps” for years now.  maybe Belew, Lifeson and Gabrels were ahead of this 30 years ago while John Sykes was still fucking with Aqua Net and pissing in Dave’s suitcase?
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,204
    If we wanna go blatant yacht rock (which is a weakness of mine, I enjoy a lot of it) the solo on Pablo Cruise's "Love Will Find A Way" is pretty tasty.  I have no idea who played it.
    David Jenkins was the band's guitarist, according to the record jackets. I imagine he played the solo, but you never know, you know?

I enjoyed the heck out of their Album A Place in the Sun, which had "Whatcha Gonna Do" and "Atlanta June" on it. Really tasty keys and a cool bass bass groove too.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,549
    Did I already mention the solo on Easy by The Commodores?  If I did truly sorry.  This AM I thought of another really good solo on a Non Dino song.  Ritchie Zito on Dan Hartmann's "I Can Dream About You" from Streets of Fire.  HORRIBLE movie, AMAZING music.  LOL.  Also, now and again James Honeyman-Scott from The Pretenders could lay something great down, like the solo on "Kid."  If we wanna go blatant yacht rock (which is a weakness of mine, I enjoy a lot of it) the solo on Pablo Cruise's "Love Will Find A Way" is pretty tasty.  I have no idea who played it.
    that’s a TASTY ride
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    Ooh,ooh - I just thought of another one!
    The rather wonderful two-part acoustic and electric solo on Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat.

Ah, I just checked - it's two different players, Peter White and Tim Renwick...
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,646
    We've got everything Al Stewart's ever released. A killer songwriter and acoustic guitarist. His acoustic solos are always choice ear candy.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,605
    Is Dann Huff too Dino? The stuff he played for Faith Hill and Shania Twain is pretty tasty, whatever you think of the vocalists themselves. 
    What's in it for Me has a great slinky solo, and the lead on Man I Feel Like a Woman is fun to play.