The Night Flight Orchestra

The Ghost thread made me think some forum members might enjoy this band. It is a side project of members of swedish metal bands who are reviving late ‘70s-early ‘80s AOR: think of a weird mix of Foreigner, Russ Ballard, 80s Rainbow, Toto and Survivor, among others. They have the style down pat, and whiile the result is obviously cheesy and half-serious, these guys are excellent musicians and the songwriting is incredibly catchy. 

They have already released three albums, and there’s a fourth coming soon. Here are a few tracks - thoughts ?

Midnight Flyer and Sad State of Affairs, off the last album: 

Transatlantic Blues off the 1st album  (I really like this song)

Preview single off the upcoming album:

Comments

• MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 601
    I like this band, they remind me of listening to the radio in the early 80s.. also would be popular In the Phillipines...
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,618
    Everytime I hear them I enjoy it but they never really catched on - it just seems a little bit too silly their whole "act". They seems to be doing pretty good though which is cool. I might just give 'em another shot :)  
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 601
    I'm sort of the same Crowley, I like them but not enough to make the purchase (so far).  That Transatlantic Blues song reminded me of Christopher Cross.  
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,781
    I'm in the process of checking out full albums on YouTube.  I just listened to the first and last ones. The first one is much better IMO, but I might be biased because it's much more rooted in a "big 70s rock" sound à la Kansas, and I'm more receptive to that kind of sound than to 80s radio-rock. 
    If anything, it seems they've become more gimmicky since Nuclear Blast signed them (which is not really surprising), but they'll get bigger budgets and exposure, so more power to them...   Still, both albums have excellent songwriting and musicianship, and represent likeable carefree music. 

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,460
    I heard some of this a while back....some of it is pretty good. I looked them up and noticed the bass player is Sharlee D'Angelo of Mercyful Fate and Arch Enemy. Don't recognize the other names.