Donald Fagen Defends Steely Dan To Friends

Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,494
I thought this was pretty hilarious so I had to share. Plus it helps that I feel almost the same way about Steely Dan as I do Chicago...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/donald-fagen-defends-steely-dan-to-friends,2601/

Comments

• jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Great !!!!!

I really dig some of their music . I can't say I like everything .....not too many cats can get away with major 7th chords in a " rock " song . ( Page & Lifeson can )

But from a performance perspective you hafta respect it . I played a few tunes over the years and the guitar playing and overall song writing is indeed demanding and creative . I struggled with that opening backwards bend on Don't Take Me Alive . Where does that shit come from ? Its almost like a mistake that somehow worked . It drove me nuts . :arg: There is no room for error with their music but sometimes I felt like is was errors on top of errors . Everything has to be " just like the record " or your fucked .
  • Despite my love for all things Rock, the Dan are my favourite band.  I was always fascinated by the stories of whole bands of musicians going to lunch during recording and coming back to find another band already in their place.  Session guitarists arriving and leaving as if through rotating doors.

My fave was the recording done by Mark Knopfler for 'Time Out of Mind' on Gaucho. When it was released, he found that Donald and Walter had only used 7 seconds of his playing and had not used his solo at all.

Very funny guys.

Although they rarely come to the UK, I get a regular kick from our own 'Nearly Dan' tribute.  Wonderful band, full of fine musicians.

Jeb - Heres them doing DTMA live at 'The Stables', one of UK;s leading Jazz clubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellxza2YM7E

• That is a strange interview almost at times as if he is defending a band he is embarrassed to be into rather than one he was part of.

Not afraid to admit I really like them, when I'm in the mood to listen to some chill out music for me nothing does it like Aja. Fagan's solo album Nightfly comes close as well.

I guess it all is a bit 'clever', I saw a documentary about the making of Aja recently with all the stories about the session musicians, multiple takes and clever wee doo dahs here and there, it was interesting but I don't like thinking about music that way. Just sounds really good to me.

Have to admit never thought I'd be talking about liking Steely Dan on this forum  :wink:

Merry Christmas by the way folks

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,494
    [quote author=ShoogliePeg link=topic=17004.msg256875#msg256875 date=1419554096]
    That is a strange interview almost at times as if he is defending a band he is embarrassed to be into rather than one he was part of.

Not afraid to admit I really like them, when I'm in the mood to listen to some chill out music for me nothing does it like Aja. Fagan's solo album Nightfly comes close as well.

I guess it all is a bit 'clever', I saw a documentary about the making of Aja recently with all the stories about the session musicians, multiple takes and clever wee doo dahs here and there, it was interesting but I don't like thinking about music that way. Just sounds really good to me.

Have to admit never thought I'd be talking about liking Steely Dan on this forum  :wink:

Merry Christmas by the way folks

[/quote]

ahh....I guess American humor does not translate sometimes. This article is from The Onion....which is a satirical and fake news website.

I am not a Steely Dan guy and most of their music kind of annoyed me....so this article really cracked me up. Nothing on the musicianship....which was probably pretty top notch....but you know how that goes. Probably a band that either you loved them or hated them.....they still don't piss me off as much as Chicago though.....  :puking:
  • Oh dear I didn't get that lol  :blush:
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,125
    Steely Dan does not ROCK.
    [quote author=Joebuddha link=topic=17004.msg256892#msg256892 date=1419712885]
    Steely Dan does not ROCK.
    [/quote]

Haha....exactly  :LOL:
  • [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=17004.msg256788#msg256788 date=1419310465]
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/donald-fagen-defends-steely-dan-to-friends,2601/
    [/quote]

:laugh:

Love Steely Dan, though. Think I'll listen to "Katy Lied" right now.
  • [quote author=Old School link=topic=17004.msg257100#msg257100 date=1420467578]
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=17004.msg256788#msg256788 date=1419310465]
    [/quote]

:laugh:

Love Steely Dan, though. Think I'll listen to "Katy Lied" right now.

[/quote]

What a list of guitar players on that album !!

Hugh McCracken - guitar
    Denny Dias - guitar (solo on "Your Gold Teeth II")
    Rick Derringer - guitar (solo on "Chain Lightning")
    Dean Parks - guitar (solo on "Rose Darling")
    Elliott Randall - guitar (solo on "Throw Back the Little Ones")
    Larry Carlton - guitar on "Daddy Don't Live in That New York City No More"

I think there's plenty of 'rock' in early SD.  Bodhisattva, Black Friday, My Old School etc.

I know they are a tribute, but check out the UK's own 'Nearly Dan' doing Showbiz Kids - It sure rocks for me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JbY7nVboEQ

• otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,680
    I know the Onion is a satirical site, but why on earth would anyone feel the need to defend Steely Dan?

Obviously they are the lords and overseers of all that is cool in pop/rock/fusion/jazz/err..whatever it is they are.

In other words, they're cool.  Very.
    [quote author=otcconan link=topic=17004.msg257321#msg257321 date=1420836584]
    I know the Onion is a satirical site, but why on earth would anyone feel the need to defend Steely Dan?

Obviously they are the lords and overseers of all that is cool in pop/rock/fusion/jazz/err..whatever it is they are.

In other words, they're cool.  Very.
    [/quote]

I think there are a large minority of people who feel the way I do about Steely Dan(I am guessing anyway and I have had conversations with a few of these people). I understand the musicianship was great.....but I always got a little annoyed by that band and their songs. As far back as I can remember. I always felt that they were somewhat corny and pretentious. Fagan's lyrics hit me that way anyway. The more laid back stuff they had I could take from time to time.....but sometimes I was just downright annoyed by them and whenever a song of theirs came on the radio I would change it if I could.

That article link was sent to me by a coworker because we would always make fun of Steely Dan songs when one would come on at work. Whoever wrote the article must feel a similar way about Steely Dan and it was his or her little jab at them. Even if I liked Steely Dan I would have thought this article was funny. I probably am in the minority here about them....and the picture of Donald Fagan holding a stein of beer is priceless.

The fact that we are analyzing the article(or at least I am) is kind of funny to....
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,680
    To be honest, I defend Steely Dan because most of the time I'm listening to them, I'm in good company: image
    So I'm a little biased.