Super Av in the house

Comments

• ChubtoneChubtone Posts: 3,160
    Very nice Dave. Congrats!!!!!!!!
  • A real beauty Dave!!!!
  • Demented TedDemented Ted Posts: 1,012
      :up:  :metal: Welcome to the club! The best things about the SA-uniqueness,comfort,versatility,resonance!And Byrd's loathing of humbuckers aside,I often wonder just how awesome a SA would be
    with a bridge humbucker installed.The guitar is just so "alive",I'm sure it would be wonderful.
  • SuperchiksSuperchiks Posts: 1,753
    Dave, that guitar looks really cool!  I would totally play one - purple I think!
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,624
    So do you get no choice with the bridge?
  • So do you get no choice with the bridge?
    I wasn't offered one. I honestly wasn't thinking about that. JB claims he tried 8 bridges and said this one sounded best to his ears on his guitar. It's the same bridge the other guys with SAs here have.
    I often wonder just how awesome a SA would be with a bridge humbucker installed.The guitar is just so "alive",I'm sure it would be wonderful.
    I agree. And, you know, the cool thing is that it is now MY guitar. If someday I decide I'm not in love with the SCs, I have a guy who can put in HBs and do anything else I might want done.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • That was the first thing I did was swap out the VV's for HS3's to thicken it up.

Hmm..I must have one of the few hardtails out there.

Dave, what neck style (or radius) did you spec?
  • Asymmetrical shape, flattest radius they would make, which was 12" -- Gibson radius.  And I measured my Hamer V to get the thickness of the neck at the nut that I wanted.  It seems pretty sweet. But I'll tell you another thing I didn't know -- that takes some getting used to -- the bridge use Telecaster string spacing. And I guess that is slightly different from a Strat.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • That's interesting - I didn't know Tele's & Strat's had different string spacing to begin with.  Now you got me curious as to what's on mine.

I'm guessing with the size of neck you had built that baby's gonna have a nice thick growl to it!
  • He says the Tele spacing is the same as a Gibson's, and it so the pup magnets line up better on the bridge pup.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    Is it a 1 5/8" nut? That's typically Gibson spacing. BC Rich was known to do that as well. Most other companies went 1 9/16 to 1 11/16".
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Sweet . :up: :up:

That thing will give you inspiration to play no doubt .

I've never played one .

Now I know you are comfortable playing a V so I imagine this to be similar but my question is how comfortable are you playing sitting down ? Some guitars I can only play standing up . :shifty:

The BYRD Cds I own have awesome single coil tone ....really clean yet razor sharp....I always loved the tone and classified it as a " super strat  " but I'm interested to know how versitile you can get .
  • Here was the exact spec we used:

Model:  Super Avianti  ® AE  (Artist Edition)

Specifications:

Neck: .780
    Shape: Asymmetrical
    Fingerboard Radius: 12"
    NUT WIDTH: 41mm (which I think is 1 11/16"
    Material: flame mpl/rosewood
    Finish: Gloss
    Frets: #6000
    Other: pearl dots

Body:
    Finish color: HOK Candy Apple Red  (CAR) over Orion gold GOLD base.

PICKUPS
    Bridge: (White) DiMarzio Virtual Solo(tm) DP420:
    Middle: (White) DiMarzio Virtual Vintage(r) Heavy Blues 2 DP409
    Neck:  (White) DiMarzio Virtual Vintage(r) Heavy Blues 2 DP409
    P.G. Color: New Ivory
    Hardware: gld, white pickups, white knobs
    Tuners: Kluson type split-shaft
    Bridge: Vint. 6 point trem, set up to float

Jeb,
    It's pretty much like V while seated. If you are comfortable playing a V sitting (which I am), you will also be comfortable with this. If not, you won't.

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,680
    Dave,  It depends on the Strat bridge in question. The vintage Strat flat mount E to E is 57mm. The vintage 6 screw Strat trem bridge is 56.36mm. The vintage narrow spaced flat mount and the current Fender American Standard spacing is 54mm which happens to be the same spacing as the vintage Telecaster ashtray bridge. Fender calls the 54mm spacing "humbucker" spacing. In comparison both the TonePros and Gotoh Tune-O-Matic E to E spacing is 52mm.

So vintage flat mount to vintage flat mount is Strat 57mm and Tele 54mm. I would think the Tele bridge would be easier to adjust to if you're used to playing humbucker loaded guitars. Also .... The Tele string spacing would work much better for conversion to humbuckers than the vintage Strat spacing.
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    Rick, I didn't know you American folks are able to use metric system now ?  :up: