The two Davids...

Lonesome CrowLonesome Crow Posts: 633
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
For some reason, after years of not listening to them, I dug up the entire Pink Floyd catalog and pushed play.

Funny how one guy can affect another's playing.  With Roger Waters, David Gilmour rules.  The absolute epitome of melody, atmosphere, tone and pure musicianship.  Seriously, IMHO, it's the best blues-based playing ever.  Miles above and beyond anybody else.  What makes it so phenomenal was Gilmour's ability to take stock blues licks and make them sound other-worldly through his sense of melody and playing for what fit best in Roger's compositions.

Take Roger Waters out of the equation and Gilmour (and Pink Floyd) sucks.  Everything becomes pedestrian and mediocre.  Beer commercial blues licks.  The same recycled shit you've heard a gazillion times from every dude who picked up a Strat and thought that "Forever Man" was the be-all and end-all to guitar.

The difference is so stark, I wonder if Gilmour himself realizes it. 

Thoughts?

Comments

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I don't agree. I do believe Pink Floyd as a band was better with Waters, but as a guitarist Gilmour is very much his own man.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,825
    The last Pink Floyd albums are lackluster, that's true, but it's more a problem of inspiration/songwriting IMO. This is where the absence of Waters can be felt.

As for Gilmour, I've heard great playing from his live at Gdansk... so I presume he doesn't have lost much. He's still my favorite non-dino/metal player, by far. Gilmour's strat wailing over a layer of organ is pure aural bliss :

:offtopic:
    On a sidenote, I remember seeing on the French TV a short documentary about '39-'45 warbirds from Gilmour's aircraft collection (now sold). He used to own a Spitfire which was an absolute beauty. He also owned a nice P-51, notice the nickname of the plane:
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,962
    Funny enough, I just had this same discussion on another forum.
    And I tend to agree.
    Gilmours Pink Floyd hasn´t got the same caliber guitarist that Waters Pink Floyd had.

Exhibit A: Eric Clapton out-Gilmours Gilmour on Waters´ The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking, and Gilmour hasn´t produced anything that caliber by himself since his 77 solo album imho.

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,668
    Roger's swollen head X Gilmour's desire to deflate Roger's swelling produced some excellent music. Either player does OK on their own, but, that "icing on the top" "this will pop his bubble" just isn't there when they're not working together. IMO this is a good example of how emotion can add to an artists output. Even anger or jealousy can result in a player pushing the envelope. Roger needs David's best playing and David needs Roger's best writing for either to produce "peak level" results. In this pissing contest the puddle, rather than doubling in size, becomes ten times larger when they piss together. (pardon the mental imaging).
  • FenceFence Posts: 282
    This is probably the most constructive insight I've had the pleasure witnessing.
    Division Bell I like for two songs. But those songs (are:Terminal Frost, High Hopes) I like the most. I appreciate Gilmour's arranging and production choices more. But I agree , it's half Floyd.

Plain retarded . Terminal Frost is from A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

I actually pick up most good vibes from Moore's solo effort
  • [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=10319.msg157903#msg157903 date=1271701287]
    Roger's swollen head X Gilmour's desire to deflate Roger's swelling produced some excellent music. Either player does OK on their own, but, that "icing on the top" "this will pop his bubble" just isn't there when they're not working together. IMO this is a good example of how emotion can add to an artists output. Even anger or jealousy can result in a player pushing the envelope. Roger needs David's best playing and David needs Roger's best writing for either to produce "peak level" results. In this pissing contest the puddle, rather than doubling in size, becomes ten times larger when they piss together. (pardon the mental imaging).
    [/quote]
    Do you mean that when they are pissing they grab each other´s Pink Floyd and make it way bigger? :evillaugh:
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    With or without Waters, Gilmour has a very unique style and touch: one note and you can recognize him and not only because of his tone (i.e: playing acoustic guitar solo).
    I think he his my favorite non Dino player.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,639
    [quote author=yngwie666 link=topic=10319.msg157974#msg157974 date=1271791552]
    With or without Waters, Gilmour has a very unique style and touch: one note and you can recognize him and not only because of his tone (i.e: playing acoustic guitar solo).
    I think he his my favorite non Dino player.
    [/quote]

Same here. David hasn't lost anything either as seen here playing his 1954 Fender Stratocaster #0001:

The note that he plays at 1:10 is signature Gilmour
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,787
    Always loved David (both davids) and the band.Seen em many times.One of the all time greats!

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,518
    While I am no fan of post Waters Pink Floyd...I don't agree that Gilmour's guitar playing sucks away
    from Waters. Gilmours first self titled solo album is great. I did not like the Floyd albums without
    Roger but as stated earlier it was the songwriting not the playing. I also didnt care for the
    Floyd album without Rick Wright.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,128
    I like the post Waters stuff, mostly for Gilmours playing though.
    I do have to say that it's funny how much Rick Wright looks like Glenn Tipton in that first clip Seven Moons posted.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,113
    I love anything with Gilmour on it, all incarnations of Floyd & all his solo material.
  • SnoofleglaxSnoofleglax Posts: 122
    David Gilmour is my number one biggest influence and favorite guitarist outside of Dino music and metal. I love his phrasing, his sense of melody, his incredibly emotive soloing style, bends, and pretty much everything else. I had the great fortune to be the guitarist in a few shows covering Pink Floyd songs, among them Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here. Needless to say, it was a total blast, especially when they extended the solo jam at the end of Comfortably Numb by about two minutes.
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,686
    I think Gilmour rules regardless of the situation.  In Floyd, of course, he's fantastic.  I get very angry when people talk about how Waters made that band, because the truth is his ego KILLED that band.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I still like what PF does, but I think the foil of Waters to Gilmour and vice versa was tantamount in the success of Floyd.  While Waters solo stuff is pretty good and so is PF minus Waters, they were so much better as a team.  However, so much negativity will eventually cause a rift and then a split.  I think Gilmour's solo stuff owns the Water's solo stuff though.  And then you listen to the Water's solo stuff and the guitarists he chooses are very reminiscent of Gilmour.  Go figure.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.