The Video Game Music Thread

JasonJason Posts: 1,931
In my early days of learning guitar, TAB really didn't do it for me because they were often inaccurate online. So I resorted to just my ears. I never really thought about it -- but I probably became ear trained by playing video games. This is probably a "young Dino" topic – but the first modern video game (Mario Bros.) did come out in 1985 so technically it fits in with the 80s part of the DRG timeline. Video game music as a genre or art didn't really take off until early 90s IMO. The idea behind video games wasn’t to just give people entertainment – it was to GLUE THEM to their consoles, and having catchy music became part of the whole deal.

I think the reason why I like Schenker and Blackmore so much is because of all the classical music I was exposed to as a kid...and I'm not talking about Mozart or Chopin. I'm talking about the Japanese video game composers -- most of whom were classically trained. The video game music pretty much warmed me up to music. The only other significant musically related events in my life were hearing the Bluesbreaker album and discovering DRG alchemy profiles.

My mother tells me stories about how I used to hum along to the video games while I was still in the crib. My brothers used to play them in the next room.
When I was 5 or 6 years old I discovered, and started a video game addiction that lasted a solid decade. For better or for worse, was that I was amazing at them. I was the guy who everyone wanted to team up with at the parties. Lmao. it was the only thing I was good at for a long time. I kept on discovering new games, and it became a sort of unlimited supply of challenges – and music.

When I was about 14, I discovered emulation and it became possible for me to revisit the video games I had played in the early days. I spent a lot of time playing all those old games, some of which I hadn't played in 5 years. I noticed that most of the time I was reminiscing about the music. I had heard the story dozens of times (I used to do speed runs...ie: when you beat the game in a time limit, and then try to break your own record).  Since putting down the controller down at age 16 (and having barely touched it since) I can still hum most of those video game themes by memory. As I got older I learned to appreciate it even more. For example, when I think of world map on Final Fantasy 6, this song pops right into my head:
(Terra)

Most of these tracks are like half a minute to 2 minutes and they're looped. Especially in RPG's where the music is linked to a character. Chrono Trigger is one of those very character driven games. Part of the allure of the music is that it corresponds to scenes and characters. Then there’s the Castlevania series – which ALWAYS had killer music. The Mario games had good music too, but they weren’t quite as advanced as FF and Castlevania IMO.

Here is a couple links for each video game. The ones in bold are the most important:
Chrono Trigger:
(Boss)
(Schala)
(Corridors of Time)
(Undersea Palace)
(Memories of Green)
(Manoria Cathedral)
And probably the best character theme ever:  
(Frog)
Final Fantasy:
(Cyan)
(Normal Battle)
(Boss Battle)
Dracula X:
(Bloody Tears..this is the theme of the whole series)
(Vampire Killer – a little bit of rock there ;) )
(Bloodlines – a bit of funk, then a sweep, then orchestration :D )

Flying Dragon 64:
(Ryuhi)
(Hayato)
Super Metroid:
(Intro Theme)
(Brinstar Theme)
Post edited by Jason on

Comments

• JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,125
    Hey Jack,
    Thanks so much for posting this, it's actually quite timely for me right now.
    My partner and I are putting together music to take to a video game convention where we are going to be presenting demos to a bunch of different game companies with the hopes of getting some of it in games.
    Since I'm not a gamer I had very little idea of what to go for musically, so thanks man that was a big help.
      Joe
  • Cool thread.  I've been a long time video game dispiser and you've put an interesting spin on it for me.  I never stopped to listen to the music while these games are playing because I never stopped to give the actual games a chance to grow on me.  This is the first account I've heard of anything interesting or positive coming out of these things.  You and Joebuddha have softened the hate!
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,931
    I think video games to my generation are akin to what Dino music was for your generation. At least for a lot of men. Women gamers are a recent phenomenon. Women were never serious gamers back in the old days. I think it's as high as 40% now or something, which is amazing. Source: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_gamer)

I've noticed that a lot of the video game music has busy rhythms going on -- usually in the bass, but it's not uncommon to have that in the percussion sounds. I realize the sounds are kind of primitive (that's MIDI right?) but the ideas are what drive these songs.

Joe, let me know how it goes!! I've noticed that a lot of these games use standard vocabulary (pentatonics and blues-based melody lines) but they're made using non-western sounds or digitized. That's why they don't "rock".
    One of my major projects (once I get my first batch of original material done) is to revisit video games and record a rock version of one of my favorite video game tunes.
  • Angelina Jolie- The first Queen of female video game players  :mrhappy: ....................

• Speaking of that, more recent video-game music has been made by some great axemen out there...

I really dig this band called Crush 40... The band makes most music for the Sonic video-games as well to some other sega ones... The singer usually is Johnny Gioeli (from Hardline and Alex Rudi Pell fame):

Plus, dinos are also making their shot. Marty Friedman has contributed to a song in one of Sonic's most recent video-games:

In addition to that, there's this game called Heavy Metal Thunder, which soundtrack was made by some great names (Dinos and not Dinos), including Michael Schenker, Marty Friedman, Sex Machineguns and Earthshaker. Here are some excerpts:

Michael Schenker with Hiroyuki Namba - Mask of Glory

Nanase Aikawa with Marty Friedman - Love Terrorist

Sorry if I went a bit  :offtopic:, but I guess people who don't know those songs won't really mind.

• g_stringg_string Posts: 1,664
    [quote author=Jack V link=topic=9959.msg153001#msg153001 date=1265494608]
    I think video games to my generation are akin to what Dino music was for your generation.
    [/quote]
    It's true. Video games were the best thing to come outta the 90s.

Best Crush 40 song btw:

Jun Senoue has a kick ass rhythm style and great tone but I would like to see him write more shreddy solos and get more control over his vibrato. The only solo I like from him is on that link I posted. note that I've only played up to Sonic Heroes which sucked so I haven't heard any of the newer Sonic music since then. Tony Harnell from TNT was also on that Sonic Heroes album which is how I found out about TNT.

Mega Man X has the most Dino soundtrack of any video game. Think Akira Takasaki riffs but in 16 bit MIDI format. Example:

Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda and Koji Kondo are GODS. I used to be a JRPG addict but lately I've been playing PC shooters but I totally miss the music.

Some of my faves:

Blaster Master stage 1:

Zelda Link to the Past Dark World:

Super Metroid Brinstar

FFVI Decisive Battle:

Dragon Quest III Flight:

Chrono Trigger To Far Away Times:

Terranigma overworld (obscure one... thank heaven for emulation!)

Super Mario Bros main theme, the grand daddy of them all and it's evil twin:

"The whole point of music, from the beginning of time, is to be happy." - Robert Plant
  • [quote author=G String link=topic=9959.msg153503#msg153503 date=1265944749]

Mega Man X has the most Dino soundtrack of any video game. Think Akira Takasaki riffs but in 16 bit MIDI format. Example:

[/quote]

hey you should record a cover of that it would kick some serious ass.
    Ask and thou shall receive

http://www.divshare.com/download/10453733-e29

The riff is deceptively hard to play.
    "The whole point of music, from the beginning of time, is to be happy." - Robert Plant
  • wow man that was awesome!!! you had it done already??? or you just did it on the spot???
    On the spot. All it is is drums and guitar L&R. I don't have a bass so it sounds kinda thin.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,931
    Diablo I theme:

Check out that medieval sounding stuff. I LOVE this stuff.
    Castlevania SOTN intro (Dino)

FFVII boss (Dino)

FFX battle

Street Fighter II Guile:

Final Fantasy VI has the greatest soundtrack of any video game IMO. Dancing Mad!
  • PowerMetalPowerMetal Posts: 1,790
    I think a castlevania track was inspired by Motley Crue's "Looks that kill".

• Heaviest thing Crush40 have done :metal:
  • [quote author=G String link=topic=9959.msg153503#msg153503 date=1265944749]

[/quote]

Nope.