The Misfits//Glenn Danzig

JasonJason Posts: 1,931
I was a huge Misfits fan back in high school. I had some compilation from their classic lineup (1977-1982) , and their 1997 album, American Psycho. I haven't heard their output in awhile, but I stumbled upon this MTV  video of Danzig's "Mother '93" (link: ) and have since gone on a hunt for my old CDs. I actually prefer American Psycho's sound to the Misfits earlier records (probably because it leans more towards dino territory and the recordings are 1000% better). Here's "Dig Up Her Bones" from American Psycho (link: )

This thread talks about unnoticed talent: (http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=9795.0)
I think Danzig is quite possibly the most underrated metal singer EVER.
American Psycho is a pretty good album from what I remember, but I believe it is more punk/thrash than dino.

Any Danzig/Misfits fans on the DRG forum?

Comments

• crnoperjecrnoperje Posts: 497
    I actually think that Glenn is THE best singer in metal history, to me he comes across as a mix of Elvis, Jim Morrison and Roy Orbison. Evil Elvis!
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I was a huge Danzig fan for his first three solo albums. Those are some of the best records of the nineties.
    Then of course he had to go all crap on me :wall:

As for the Misfits, my favourite album is Famous Monsters, with Michael Graves on vocals. Highly recommended!
  • RushFanRushFan Posts: 211
    The Misfits with Danzig is hit and miss for me. I like some and much I can do without. I haven't heard any Misfits without Danzig but everyone I've ever comes across that has says it isn't as good. I wouldn't know though. I like Danzig solo alright. The first album has a lot of songs I used to like. I've heard a few others (2,3 etc) and they weren't too bad either but not up my alley with a CAPITAL UMA.  :tongue:
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    [quote author=RushFan link=topic=9805.msg150641#msg150641 date=1263303862]
    I haven't heard any Misfits without Danzig but everyone I've ever comes across that has says it isn't as good. [/quote]

These are probably the same people who say Sabbath is only Sabbath with Ozzy :wink:
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    not familar with a ton of his work.  I have heard some of his early solo records and really dig his voice.  It has a kind of dark Jim Morrison vibe about it.  I still listen to the sing Mother just not sure which version since he released it abut 10 tiimes.  My favorite Danzig moment though, is the You Tube video of him getting knocked out back stage.
  • [quote author=Jay G link=topic=9805.msg150645#msg150645 date=1263305707]
    My favorite Danzig moment though, is the You Tube video of him getting knocked out back stage.
    [/quote]
    :LOL: No idea.... now I have to search for it....
    here is the link.

• That was AWESOME!  :roll: Especially since he was the initiator of the physical part of the altercation.  Good stuff! Thanks, Jay.
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    [quote author=Jay G link=topic=9805.msg150654#msg150654 date=1263312911]
    here is the link.

[/quote]

Epic Fail.
    glad you enjoyed.  Many years ago this was one of the very first viral videos to go around.  I used to know the story but can not recall anymore.
  • RushFanRushFan Posts: 211
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=9805.msg150644#msg150644 date=1263305426]
    [quote author=RushFan link=topic=9805.msg150641#msg150641 date=1263303862]
    I haven't heard any Misfits without Danzig but everyone I've ever comes across that has says it isn't as good. [/quote]

These are probably the same people who say Sabbath is only Sabbath with Ozzy :wink:
    [/quote]

:chuckle: You are probably right in most of the cases.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,931
    [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=9805.msg150659#msg150659 date=1263313954]
    [quote author=Jay G link=topic=9805.msg150654#msg150654 date=1263312911]
    here is the link.

[/quote]

Epic Fail.
    [/quote]
    I remember watching it when it first came out. I was waiting for Danzig to use his martial arts. Epic Fail is right.
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    I like the original Misfits but that's because i was lisatening to a loot of punk rock back in those days.  Contrary to popular belief, Misfits were not real popular at all in the punk rock underground and were considered to be a cheapo KISS rip off by most reviews of their stuff.  When they played in Houston in 1981, maybe 20 people were there.  Reviews in the underground press slammed them mercilessly.

It wasn't until Metallica started wearing Misfits t shirts that Misfits started making any money-and then just from Tshirt sales.  Most of the kids wearing Misfits shirts in the mid 80's had never heard the band.

Metallica did an instore at our shop on the RTL tour, and when the band arrived, they requested that we take their new album off the stereo, and instead handed over a Misfits compilation tape.  What was funny was, kids standing in line (seriously, like 500 people showed up) wearing Misfits t-shirts, and complaining about the 'shitty music'  Seriously.

About 1984, Danzig brought his new band to Houston (SamHain) and there were maybe 50 people there.  During the show, there was a gas leak in the club.  Danzig bailed at the first whiff and went and hid in the van across the street. A more mature/professional frontman might've stayed one moment to instruct the audience to get out of there for their own safety.  Instead, he split mid-song, the band followed shortly after, and the crowd was left to figure out what was going on.  Not cool.  Danzig lost me then  and there.  Which it too bad because I like his singing and his bands.

There  is a live recording of a Frank Zappa concert where a fire breaks out in the hall.  You can hear FZ calmly explain to the band to get the hell out of there, and then he stays behind and calmly instructs the audienced to exit the building in an orderly fashion. THAT is how a professional who cares about his audience acts. (BTW, pretty sure this is the event that inspired "Smoke on the Water")

The best Danzig story (besides the knockout punch) is one I read about a kid who found Danzig's 'haunted' house in LA.  The kid was waiting around hoping to get an autograph and he heard Glenn instructing a handyman that the spooky gate wasn't spooky enough, and he wanted it to 'squeak' when it opened.  So the guy goes to work on the gate and Danzig splits.  The kid hangs around all day and gets pissed off, so he waits until the handyman splits, and then he goes and oils the gate so it won't squeak.  Of course, Danzig comes home later and is furious because his spooky haunted house doesn't have a squeaky gate.
  • [quote author=Breakfastime link=topic=9805.msg150782#msg150782 date=1263402125]
    I like the original Misfits but that's because i was lisatening to a loot of punk rock back in those days.  Contrary to popular belief, Misfits were not real popular at all in the punk rock underground and were considered to be a cheapo KISS rip off by most reviews of their stuff.  When they played in Houston in 1981, maybe 20 people were there.  Reviews in the underground press slammed them mercilessly.

It wasn't until Metallica started wearing Misfits t shirts that Misfits started making any money-and then just from Tshirt sales.  Most of the kids wearing Misfits shirts in the mid 80's had never heard the band.

Metallica did an instore at our shop on the RTL tour, and when the band arrived, they requested that we take their new album off the stereo, and instead handed over a Misfits compilation tape.  What was funny was, kids standing in line (seriously, like 500 people showed up) wearing Misfits t-shirts, and complaining about the 'shitty music'  Seriously.

About 1984, Danzig brought his new band to Houston (SamHain) and there were maybe 50 people there.  During the show, there was a gas leak in the club.  Danzig bailed at the first whiff and went and hid in the van across the street. A more mature/professional frontman might've stayed one moment to instruct the audience to get out of there for their own safety.  Instead, he split mid-song, the band followed shortly after, and the crowd was left to figure out what was going on.  Not cool.  Danzig lost me then  and there.  Which it too bad because I like his singing and his bands.

There  is a live recording of a Frank Zappa concert where a fire breaks out in the hall.  You can hear FZ calmly explain to the band to get the hell out of there, and then he stays behind and calmly instructs the audienced to exit the building in an orderly fashion. THAT is how a professional who cares about his audience acts. (BTW, pretty sure this is the event that inspired "Smoke on the Water")

The best Danzig story (besides the knockout punch) is one I read about a kid who found Danzig's 'haunted' house in LA.  The kid was waiting around hoping to get an autograph and he heard Glenn instructing a handyman that the spooky gate wasn't spooky enough, and he wanted it to 'squeak' when it opened.  So the guy goes to work on the gate and Danzig splits.  The kid hangs around all day and gets pissed off, so he waits until the handyman splits, and then he goes and oils the gate so it won't squeak.  Of course, Danzig comes home later and is furious because his spooky haunted house doesn't have a squeaky gate.
    [/quote]
    The day is young but YOU WIN! This HAS to be the best post of the day.  Thanks for sharing!!!!
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,931
    LOL Agreed.  :up: