The 'weirdo' guitar players

BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
The Angus thread got me to thinking today about guitar heros and their images, particularly the ones with a very 'un-rock' image-not the 'cool/tough' rock guitarist image of guys like Slash or Blackmore, but the real weirdos, guys like Zal Cleminson (who dressed as a Mime), Rick Nielsen(Huntz Hall) and Angus Young(schoolboy).  I figure Ace Frehley(Spaceman) and Ritchie Stotts(mutant transvestite) would figure in there as well.  

From the 80's we have CC DeVille (Phyllis Diller), because let's face it, he's more famous for his outrageous looks than for his guitar playing.

Nowadays we have Buckethead (giant robot guitarist w/bucket on his head), John 5 (horror/goth look), and Bumblefoot (although i don't think he does the image thing, isn't he just a long haired guitar player?) flying the flag for the 'un-rock' image but these guys are all rock guitarists at heart (and accomplished ones, at that)

What other 'weirdo' rock guitarist are there?  What do you guys/gals think about this kind of concept, how do you feel about these players and their bizzarre images?

Comments

• Frank Zappa has to be the king, no?
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=9734.msg149266#msg149266 date=1261973073]
    Frank Zappa has to be the king, no?
    [/quote]

Well he's a weirdo,that's for sure.  But i'm thinking more along the lines of visual weirdness....
    although FZ was also into visual weirdness, but for the most part he was just another long haired guitar player, visually speaking:

i'm talking about the guys who had a schtick, and worked it for ages, you know-the schoolboy, the Huntz Hall, the Bucket...you could almost say Gibbons' image too because when ZZ went with that look it was considered pretty weird for MTV...
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,638
    Dave Hill from Slade (The Elton John of guitar glam)
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• [quote author=pprovost link=topic=9734.msg149269#msg149269 date=1261974771]
    Dave Hill from Slade (The Elton John of guitar glam)
    [/quote]

Yes!  He is a perfect example.  I always thought he had the awful-est outfits (and guitars) of any rock star.  
    ...and possibly the weirdest haircut of any human. 
    This particular outfit is baffling, apart from the platform 'money boots' which makes perfect rock star sense, the outfit itself is just...bizzarre

I mean-it's cool but it's also "what were they thinking?"
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,638
    I think that his hair was cut that way so that he had room for even more sequins:

I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit?????
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,943
    The british Black Metal outfit Akercocke are great visually (and musically), the whole "dressed up like british country gents" against their more traditional heavy-metal looks (hair and stuff) work great visually, imho.

(warning: includes a pretty girl, agrippa style, maybe not for everyone).
  • ingveingve Posts: 1,616

Not bad, Agrippa, not bad at all. It's good even with the sound muted.

:woohoo:
  • lasm2000lasm2000 Posts: 137
    What about Paul Gilbert in a spacesuit?

• [quote author=ingve link=topic=9734.msg149284#msg149284 date=1261990885]

Not bad, Agrippa, not bad at all. It's good even with the sound muted.

:woohoo:
    [/quote]

The world needs morre "agrippa-style" videos!  Cool band with an interesting juxtaposition of image and sounds...

I also think Paul Gilbert in a '2001' space suit and Wes Borland (I'd forgotten about him, although not real familiar with his music he always did have some bizarre imagery going on) qualify as genuine 'weirdos'
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,797
    He's not a real weirdo, but I always thought that Buck Dharma had very unusual clothes for a heavy metal lead guitarist. He was looking more like a very rural 70s guy going to a country fair with his best suit (first pic below), or just like your average joe (second pic below). But what a talented guy... great guitarist and terrific songwriter.

imageimage
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Ace has got to be one of the leading guitar playing weirdos of all time . He paved the way for Transgender Aliens everywhere . I love the interview where Ace is laughing his ass off the entire time while Gene is pissed off with his arms crossed in the corner . All the stories about him shitting in Limos and zipping his cock up in his pants .  :roll:

Vinnie Vincent is a weirdo .

John 5 has got to be a weirdo .

• ingveingve Posts: 1,616
    But there's good wierdo and bad wierdo.

Ace =  :metal:

Vinnie =  :puke:
  • How about Gwar? I've never really even listened to their music, but I've found the costumes hilarious  :tongue:
    Case in point:
    According to wikipedia he is Mike Derks, AKA 'Balsac the Jaws of Death'.  :rotflmfao:

Pure gold, no?
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    :rotflmfao: GWAR was at mac hall about a month ago.