A white Xmas? I can only dream.....

ingveingve Posts: 1,616

I understand it's pretty damned cold over in the Northern Hemisphere at the moment. Well....

Today the mercury peaked here at 39 centigrade (102 farenheit) at about 4pm. By 9:30am this morning it was already passing 30. It's currently sitting at 36c, and it won't dip below 25c (77f) overnight. And it's only the start of summer.... January and February are traditionally the hottest months in Melbourne.

I've only ever spent two Xmases in the Northern Hemisphere, and all the decorations and songs make so much more sense when it's happening in the appropriate season. When it's celebrated in summer, things like "White Xmas", "Dashing through the snow on a one horse open sleigh" and Frosty the Snowman just don't make any sense at all. Still, it's premium drinkin' weather!

:drinkin: 

Comments

• I'm hearing you there Champ... The humidity is insane as well. Fortunately I have my my friend Mr.Boags here to take the edge of proceedings. :beer: :beer: :beer:
  • And we're not so bad in Sydney ourselves, bottoms up  :beer:
  • Hate. All. Of. You.
    Please send rescue team.  I'm allergic to snow. It makes me bitchy.
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    Well, snow is nice for Christmas, but this morning I almost hit a car that slipped in front of me and almost end up in the ditch.
  • M11M11 Posts: 841
    Right now it's almost an hour past noon and 24° C here in sunny Santiago. :cool:
  • [quote author=M11 link=topic=9704.msg148786#msg148786 date=1261583087]
    Right now it's almost an hour past noon and 24° C here in sunny Santiago. :cool:
    [/quote]
    Sigh.........
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    The "Winter" high is 28 and low is 12 in my city of choice. Summertime, it can go up to to 37 and 24 respectively. This is as moderate a city can get in this country, though the best time of the year is during winter.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    I'm looking for a place that's 78 F. on sunny days, 74 F. on rainy days, (preferably on Wendesdays only), and 68 F. overnight 12 months out of the year. Wind not to exceed 15 mile per hour. No mist, fog or drizzle. Cloudy conditions only allowed on days that it actually rains. If the city sits on a coast the water should be a constant 80.4 F.

If you know of more than one place like this feel free to submit a list. All submissions will be considered.

Rick
  • [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=9704.msg148821#msg148821 date=1261605429]
    I'm looking for a place that's 78 F. on sunny days, 74 F. on rainy days, (preferably on Wendesdays only), and 68 F. overnight 12 months out of the year. Wind not to exceed 15 mile per hour. No mist, fog or drizzle. Cloudy conditions only allowed on days that it actually rains. If the city sits on a coast the water should be a constant 80.4 F.

If you know of more than one place like this feel free to submit a list. All submissions will be considered.

Rick
    [/quote]

This is just shy of San Diego, CA I think. It's a little warmer but not humid. There is also Hawaii.  Again, a little bit warmer  but I don't think you'll have complaints.
    Can I come with you if you choose the islands?  Maui and The Big Island are my favorites.
  • ingveingve Posts: 1,616

You may have to get one of those artificial environment domes, like they used in Total Recall.
  • Y'all feel free to visit Boston and shovel my driveway out.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    Lady Guitar............
              No islands for me. Islands are cool for a vacation but rather restricting as a world to live within. You hardly get the car up to speed and your back where you started from.

Although now I have to ask. Are you more Ginger or Mary Ann? Debi knows I'm asking so I'm in the clear.

Rick
  • [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=9704.msg148845#msg148845 date=1261614370]
    Lady Guitar............
              No islands for me. Islands are cool for a vacation but rather restricting as a world to live within. You hardly get the car up to speed and your back where you started from.

Although now I have to ask. Are you more Ginger or Mary Ann? Debi knows I'm asking so I'm in the clear.

Rick
    [/quote]

Yes, the islands mean that everything is expensive and there isn't a plethora of good wine. Everything has to be imported. 

'You hardly get the car up to speed and your back where you started from."  :roll: :roll: :roll:  Ummm, well okay.  I bet you don't mind it once you're there though.  And don't forget the ocean.  You aren't limited to solid ground; there's no need to feel as though your personal world is confining.

You are perfectly welcome to ask whatever you'd like.  I am an absolute combination of Ginger and Mary Ann.  I think.  I have Mary Ann's low maintence attitude with most things. I think.  But I temper it with Ginger's eye make up and her slight tendency toward bitchy-ness.  I can pull off Mary Ann's wholesome, apple pie baking, pig tail wearin, dorky kindness and that's really how I am sometimes but I identify with Ginger's will and need for a large shoe library.  I'll get dirty and walk through the mud in bare feet for fun with Mary Ann, but I like a good Burgundy with my duck when I'm hanging with Ginger, know what I mean?

I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan. And never never let you forget you're a man, cause I'm WOMAN.....Enjoli......

:chuckle: Sorry, it's really late.  I have a massive headache and woke up on my sofa about 20 minutes ago.  I have no idea what happened, how this blanket moved itself from the other sofa over to me, what my crazy nightmare is supposed to mean or how I became so disoriented.  Further, why the fuck did I immediately log onto DRG upon waking??? :nuts: :wacky: