Frusciante Quits Peppers... Again

Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091217/music_nm/us_chilipeppers

Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist quits, again

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante has confirmed he quit the chart-topping funk-rock band for a second time, claiming that "my musical interests have led me in a different direction."

Frusciante, 39, first left the group in 1992, ended up as a homeless heroin addict who lost all his teeth, and then rejoined five years later.

He revealed his latest departure on his Web site on Wednesday, saying that he actually split over a year ago while the band was on hiatus.

"There was no drama or anger involved, and the other guys were very understanding. They are supportive of my doing whatever makes me happy and that goes both ways," said Frusciante, who has released 10 decidedly non-commercial solo albums over the years.

Singer Anthony Kiedis, bass player Michael "Flea" Balzary and drummer Chad Smith are reportedly in the studio recording a follow-up to the group's Grammy-winning 2006 album "Stadium Arcadium." There was no official word on Frusciante's replacement.

Frusciante joined the Red Hot Chili Peppers after the 1988 overdose death of original guitarist Hillel Slovak, and recorded the albums "Mother's Milk" (1989) and "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" (1991).

The latter turning the band into global stars, thanks to hits such as "Under the Bridge" and "Give It Away." But the fame overwhelmed Frusciante, and he quit mid-tour in 1992 to feed his incipient heroin addiction.

Reports at the time described his skeletal state, covered in scars, abscesses and cigarette burns and reeking of excrement. Remarkably, he did not die and eventually ended up in rehab.

The band, meanwhile, had lost its way after replacing Frusciante with a succession of guitarists including Jane's Addiction veteran Dave Navarro, and eagerly brought him back into the fold to record its 1999 comeback "Californication."

Frusciante said in his statement that he was proud of his worth with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but continuing to work in that musical vein would go against his nature.

"There was no choice involved in this decision. I simply have to be what I am, and have to do what I must do."

(Reporting by Dean Goodman; editing by Jill Serjeant)

That sucks, I liked his work with them.

Comments

• VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,900
    Sad, hope the Chilli's get it sorted, I hope they dont go back to Dave N.... all said and done that boy can play, not that we all care to admit it sometimes, but HE can, just hope they sort it out with John, or find a monster, failing that call it a days lads.
  • ingveingve Posts: 1,616

In retrospect, I would have been happy had they called it a day following "Blood Sugar Sex Magik". As far as I'm concerned, it has all been underwhelming ever since.

One positive thing if they did decided to break up altogether..... Maybe Chad could then be free to play with Glenn Hughes full time!
  • I hear they're getting Josh Klinghoffer to replace him. He's played some Chili Peppers shows as a second guitarist, but I'm curious to see how he handles being the only guitar player. Frusciante has a such a unique style, Josh has a lot ot live up to.

On the other hand, maybe this will mean Frusciante can finally get a band together to perform his solo albums live, and he'll hopefully put out a killer solo record.

I figure that if his heart isn't in the Chili Peppers any more, than it's better that he move on.

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,494
    They should have gotten Tommy Thayer and hoped no one noticed......
  • ingveingve Posts: 1,616
    :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Oh man, he's going to put out some more of those shitty solo albums now. Bad news, people. If RHCP wasn't sucky enough these days.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Too bad. As talented as John is, his solo stuff does nothing for me. He could be doing great guitar driven rock stuff but most of it is nothing like that.
  • I guess I'm in the minority on this site, I think Frusciante's solo albums are great, especially his most recent one, The Empyrean. He does a lot of cool stuff with guitars on the album, like the great string-skipping solo on Enough of Me. I think Frusciante is one of the few true artists out there these days.

Frusciante has already done a bunch of guitar-driven rock songs, he wants to branch out, I understand. I think what he does with synthesizers is very cool, plus all the studio treatments he does to the tracks add a lot of texture to his sound.
  • SoulstealerSoulstealer Posts: 2,305
    I like John as a player, but I think he's a tad bit overrated. I guess that comes with being in a mega-huge band. I loved the dry tones and funk riffs on Blood Sugar Sex Magic, though.
  • I'd be slightly more interested if they recruited Shane Klingensmith.
  • Navarro is a monster player, but he just did not fit in the Peppers.  he fit perfectly in Jane's.

there is just something about Fruciante's tone I find lacking.  the songs are alright but I'm not hanging on JF's every note. 

his earlier stuff with them was way better than the pop pap they've been doing lately.
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,680
    Paging Dr. John5...
  • StevilStevil Posts: 3,334
    I like him...He has a cool vibe. I haven't checked his solo work.
    I like this solo. tasty stuff from flea too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiFgMeJXHfk&feature=related
  • [quote author=otcconan link=topic=9661.msg151823#msg151823 date=1264274818]
    Paging Dr. John5...
    [/quote]

I'm still waiting for their call...
  • At least they got a guy with a similar playing style...