Adrian Belew is a beast.

otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,680
You cannot dispute this!

Comments

• Thanks for that Conan!  One of my favorites.

I remember the first time i heard this, on college radio in Houston.  I was driving and had to pull over and stop to listen to this crazy music.

The only other time I ever had to stop driving and just listen was the first time i heard John Coltrane ('My favorite things')
  • That was fun.  After watching it I feel like Adrian Belew and David Byrne should spend time together and see what happens.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    After that, I went and watched a bunch of other Crimso videos as well. One of my all time favourite bands.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=9655.msg148168#msg148168 date=1261071056]
    That was fun.  After watching it I feel like Adrian Belew and David Byrne should spend time together and see what happens.
    [/quote]

They already did.  Adrian was in the extended lineup of Talking Heads and Byrne certainly learned a thing or two from him, judging by some of his guitar work in the concert film 'Stop making sense'
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,776
    Belew is awesome.....the animal sounds etc he does on guitar is so cool....Seen him several times with KC...an amazing band regardless of the lineups.

The double trio lineup was awesome also!

Wish they'd get back together and do something new.
  • [quote author=Breakfastime link=topic=9655.msg148178#msg148178 date=1261075973]
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=9655.msg148168#msg148168 date=1261071056]
    That was fun.  After watching it I feel like Adrian Belew and David Byrne should spend time together and see what happens.
    [/quote]

They already did.  Adrian was in the extended lineup of Talking Heads and Byrne certainly learned a thing or two from him, judging by some of his guitar work in the concert film 'Stop making sense'
    [/quote]

OH!!! How funny.  I really don't know that much about King Crimson but  I went through a whole Talking Heads phase several years ago. I have Stop Making Sense but have never seen the film. I'll have to check it out.
  • [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=9655.msg148190#msg148190 date=1261082430]
    [quote author=Breakfastime link=topic=9655.msg148178#msg148178 date=1261075973]
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=9655.msg148168#msg148168 date=1261071056]
    That was fun.  After watching it I feel like Adrian Belew and David Byrne should spend time together and see what happens.
    [/quote]

They already did.  Adrian was in the extended lineup of Talking Heads and Byrne certainly learned a thing or two from him, judging by some of his guitar work in the concert film 'Stop making sense'
    [/quote]

OH!!! How funny.  I really don't know that much about King Crimson but  I went through a whole Talking Heads phase several years ago. I have Stop Making Sense but have never seen the film. I'll have to check it out.
    [/quote]

I'm not sure if Belew is in the movie, he might be but it's been 20 years since i've seen it.  But I do remember in one tune, Byrne has a  Strat, and plays a solo that's just demented fat feedback bent and warped like crazy whammy bar shit.  It sounds like a Belew solo-and it may be, Byrne might just be hamming it up for the camera.  That's a great concert film, by the way.  

Belew played some live dates with the band and pretty sure he guested on some studio stuff.  I would not be surprised if Eno just had him recorded a bunch of random stuff and then it got used in various contexts, including possibly 'flying in' a recorded solo for Byrne to mimic in concert-weirder stuff has happened with them art rockers!

[quote author=Donthegreek link=topic=9655.msg148186#msg148186 date=1261080221]
    Belew is awesome.....the animal sounds etc he does on guitar is so cool....Seen him several times with KC...an amazing band regardless of the lineups.
    [/quote]

This had me doing a double take-I thought "Belew played with KC and the Sunshine Band?!?!?" before i realized that KC means, you know.

That damn Disco thread has me all confused.
  • [quote author=Donthegreek link=topic=9655.msg148243#msg148243 date=1261115813]

[/quote]

wow!  That was mesmerizing. :weed:  Fucking amazing!
  • [quote author=otcconan link=topic=9655.msg148130#msg148130 date=1261048725]
    You cannot dispute this!

[/quote]

OMG! did you see Fripp SMILING??? Unbelievable. :)

I always thought that Fripp and Belew were such diametrically opposed musicians that the chemistry was perfect. If you know what I mean. Not sure if I do. LOL!
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    I recommend you check out some of his more recent material he does with the Trio.  It is him and two young folks from my local area that he grabbed from the Paul Green School of Rock.  They are Julie Slick on Bass and her brother Eric Slick on Drums.  They are a quite impressive rhythym section.  he has been touring regularly with them over the past few years.