Something I did with my roomie about 1993

otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,680
Just a batch of songs I recorded with the greatest rhythm guitar player on the planet years ago.

Discuss and feedback welcome.  Recording aside (it was a Tascam 4 track), I think it was my best vocal performance ever.

Memory has it:

Guitars:  MIM Telecaster for most of the rhythm guitars
Bently acoustic for all the acoustic guitars
Sheba (a cheap heavily modified Strat copy) for all the leads

Drums:  programmed by Jeff
Bass:  performed by Jeff
Vocals:  ME

All production credits go to Jeff.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1019609

Not exactly Dino, but I think we really did a good songwriting job there.

Post edited by otcconan on

Comments

• otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,680
    I should mention that we did some guerilla recording there.  Sneaked the 4-track into the UTSA music department in order to drop microphones into the piano for "Pride's Masquerade."  But the cool thing is we recorded it in stereo and mixed it that way.  I supplied the mics and he suppled the 4-track.''

That was fun..
    And my Brian May fixation is pretty obvious here.
  • That sounded really quite good!!!! Nice vibe you got there!
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    You missed you time period. All the songs could've come out of the mid to late '60s electric folk scene. The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, CSN, electrified Dylan,.......    A little Petty, a little ELO........
    Rick, that's Jeff.  He's totally fixated on the Beatles and the Who and the Byrds.  It should come as no surprise that his main guitars are Rickenbackers.  His father gave him an old 345 that he started on, and since it was vintage he sold it and with those funds bought a 360 and a 360/12.  Throw in the 335 he already had and he is rocking 3 Ricks.  I remember he played a black MIM Telecaster on that album, though.  But the addition of an MXR Phase 90 somehow added something resembling a clean Ric 12 to the mix.
    Oh...forgot to mention, on some tracks, you have drums, bass, drum overdubs, rhythm guitar, vocals, and two lead guitars.  The kinda persistent hiss on those recordings comes from the enormous bouncing (ie, sound-on-sound) needed to cram 7 or 8 tracks into 4.  The hard part of that is you better make damn sure you have everything mixed just right the first time or you're screwed (we encountered the same problems Les Paul did).

But unlike Les, instead of bouncing to another track we bounced to another TAPE.  So even though we still had degradation, a bad mix to start was not a great loss...you just try again.  The problem is it takes forever to edit and mix on tape.  I came into this forum extolling the mighty superiority of tape...but for complex recordings, with multiple instruments, and two (or sometimes, just one) musician behind the thing, tape is monumentally challenging and annoying.  It's rewarding when you get it right, though, and it taught me a lot about miking guitars and amps and recording drum machines and bass and piano that has assisted me in the digital medium.