Paul McCartney

JasonJason Posts: 1,931
I've been procrastinating an acquisition of Paul McCartney's catalogue. I have the Beatles stuff once they standardized the releases (Rubber Soul onwards IIRC). I started getting into his post-Beatles solo stuff and I'm REALLY digging Band On The Run. I've had it a number of years now, and I appreciate it even more with every listen. I'm a fan of good songs more than anything; and from what I've heard so far, Paul certainly delivers. My next album from him will probably be Venus and Mars, if I can find it IRL.

What do you think of Paul McCartney?

Comments

• Musical GOD.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    my favourite beatle. fantastic consistent songwriter.
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    My favorite Beatle as well, and I happen to share a birthday with him. Band On The Run, IMO, is his best post Beatles album, but I think his music has been really weak outside of the Beatles and Wings, which is basically everything since 1980... But hey, that's like 15 to 20 albums worth of great material in just about 16 years ('63 to '79?). He has written plenty of duds, PLENTY, but I think "Maybe I'm Amazed" itself makes up for it all lol. One thing McCartney never really gets credit for, his bass playing, he comes up with some really tasteful bass lines, some of them just really sing, "Silly Love Songs" comes to mind.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    love Paul, he is one of my musical heroes.  I am not much of a Beatles fan but completely dig Wings.  Band is a great album and has my all time favorite Paul song - Nineteen Hundred Eighty Five.  I would recommend the video Wings Over America if you can find it.  I do not believe it has ever made it to DVD.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,221
    Band on the Run and Venus and Mars are my two favorite McCartney releases, post-Beatles. He's a top musician, an amazing songwriter, and he has a really pleasant singing voice to listen to as well. By the time he recorded Wings Over America, the live LP, he had assembled a killer touring band too. I always liked the playing of Jimmy McCulloch.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,638
    [quote author=cvansickle link=topic=9628.msg147613#msg147613 date=1260656267]
    Band on the Run and Venus and Mars are my two favorite McCartney releases, post-Beatles. He's a top musician, an amazing songwriter, and he has a really pleasant singing voice to listen to as well. By the time he recorded Wings Over America, the live LP, he had assembled a killer touring band too. I always liked the playing of Jimmy McCulloch.
    [/quote]

Absolutely!  :up:

One of my favorite tracks from the Rock Show video:

The whole show is on Youtube.

Jeez, what can you say about Paul that isn't part of the global conciousness. Part of the greatest songwriting team of the 20th century. Most successful musician of all time. Part of the band that literally changed the world. One of the inventors of the self contained rock band as we know it. A musical legacy that everyone from your grandparents to your grandchildren in all corners of the world know the words and music to, instinctively. The list goes on and on.

Dave summed it up perfectly. Musical GOD.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    [quote author=pprovost link=topic=9628.msg147627#msg147627 date=1260665915]
    [quote author=cvansickle link=topic=9628.msg147613#msg147613 date=1260656267]
    [/quote]

Absolutely!  :up:

One of my favorite tracks from the Rock Show video:

Jeez, what can you say about Paul that isn't part of the global conciousness. Part of the greatest songwriting team of the 20th century. Most successful musician of all time. Part of the band that literally changed the world. One of the inventors of the self contained rock band as we know it. A musical legacy that everyone from your grandparents to your grandchildren in all corners of the world know the words and music to, instinctively. The list goes on and on.

Dave summed it up perfectly. Musical GOD.
    [/quote]

Great clip.

I think Paul is the only one of the four who actually moved past being just a former Beatle, maybe cause he's the only one who actually had a second full fledged band after the Beatles that stood on it's own merits as a band.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    The finest writer of melody that ever lived. A master of the "hook Line". The one single person I've studied the most in my quest to improve my own songwriting skills over all these years. Along with John Lennon's sense of harmony and lyrical input and George Martin's knowledge of the studio came some of the most outstanding musical releases ever made.

Yet, even before George Martin entered the picture and long after the Lennon / McCartney songwriting team broke up Paul was, and is, a songwriter's guide to excellence.
  • As much of a King of Pop as MJ, and much more Rock than MJ ever was. When I add up my favorite Beatles songs, I like John's a little better.  But it's like 52% to 48%.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,125
    Paul is my all time forever favorite songwriter. IMO by far the best guitarist in the Beatles as well.
    His first solo album McCartney is my favorite, especially because he played all the instruments and engineered the entire album by himself.
  • [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=9628.msg147632#msg147632 date=1260669532]
    As much of a King of Pop as MJ, and much more Rock than MJ ever was. When I add up my favorite Beatles songs, I like John's a little better.  But it's like 52% to 48%.
    [/quote]

I'm like 85% to 15% John wins.
    I am one of the world's leading Beatles dorks.  I have a t-shirt with the artwork from Sgt. Pepper on it.  I am superimposed onto the album cover standing next to George and reaching up to give him a kiss on the cheek.  I have a dollar bill with John's face on it. I can recite every line in A Hard Day's Night and Help.  And I still think they're funny.  I attended a two hour lecture on the Paul Is Dead Rumors.  D O R K.

I will always hold a place in my heart for Paul the Beatle. And I'll always have a place in my heart for him otherwise but alas, he is my fourth favorite Beatle.  I don't care for most of his post Beatles work as opposed to how I feel about John and George. And yes, even Ringo whom is my 3rd favorite. But I'll always go to see Paul live given the chance. I've gone twice and I recognize that he's inspiring to musicians and to other people and that he's made a valuable contribution to the world of music and the world in general. 

I think there's a lot to be learned from his songwriting ability, his charisma, his good heart, and his poise and good taste in digesting what was and is an unprecedented career in the entertainment industry. It's just that some people like strawberry ice cream and some people like rocky road.  I'm  a Lennon follower. I have McCartney issues. Big ones. But I would never tell anyone else they shouldn't learn from him or try to absorb what they can. 

Awww....can't we all just get along? :icon_syda: :icon_syda:

• [/quote]

Great clip.

I think Paul is the only one of the four who actually moved past being just a former Beatle, maybe cause he's the only one who actually had a second full fledged band after the Beatles that stood on it's own merits as a band.
    [/quote]

..............ohhhhhhhhhhhh no... I'm trying REALLY hard to stay politically correct during this thread. I keep finding little snipits like this one that are making it REALLY hard!!!! :silenced: Dude. The only one of the four who actually moved past being just a former Beatle?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Am I the only person on the planet who could care less about the Beatles ?  :fu: :snoozin: :snoozin: :snoozin: :snoozin:

I'll never forget Howard Stern playing Linda McCartney's isolated vocal from Hey Jude .  :ha:

• [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=9628.msg147640#msg147640 date=1260677219]
    Am I the only person on the planet who could care less about the Beatles ?  :fu: :snoozin: :snoozin: :snoozin: :snoozin:

I'll never forget Howard Stern playing Linda McCartney's isolated vocal from Hey Jude .  :ha:

[/quote]
    Yes. Yes you are.