Pissing match between Derek Riggs and Iron Maiden

sticks89sticks89 Posts: 509
Link on Derek's home page...I guess their relationship has really soured...

This link has been removed
by Derek Riggs

This is because Iron Maiden are complaining
about which pictures are on my site,
and then they started quoting contracts at me.

Right now I am too tired and too busy
to work out what they are complaining about
so I have removed the entire link.

So if you want to see the pictures
you will have to buy the book
"Run for Cover, the art of Derek Riggs"
which is available from my website shop.
Enjoy the rest of the site.
Have a better one (than I did)
all the best
D

Comments

• IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    geeze, i hope that riggs will still do the maiden cover art. its not the same without him
  • I'd say that's bad form on Maiden's part-even if they do have contractual rights to the artwork, they should still let the artist post some of it -at no further profit to himself- on his website.  Especially if they want to maintain good relations with the guy.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 10,067
    Some of the shit Riggs has been selling to other bands over the last few years perhaps made Maiden want to not be associated with him, lol.... the Riggs covers are still THE Maiden covers in my eyes.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    Without taking anything away from the music created by Iron Maiden......I wonder if they haven't forgotten the importance of the album art in their original rise from the slew to the few. The old rule of "Ya gotta have a gimmick" paid off in spades for this band.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    [quote author=Isaac link=topic=9589.msg146769#msg146769 date=1260122597]
    geeze, i hope that riggs will still do the maiden cover art. its not the same without him
    [/quote]
    There's more wrong with Maiden than just the covers...

[quote author=Super Avianti link=topic=9589.msg146782#msg146782 date=1260140985]
    Some of the shit Riggs has been selling to other bands over the last few years perhaps made Maiden want to not be associated with him, lol.... the Riggs covers are still THE Maiden covers in my eyes.
    [/quote]
    Yep. Riggs has done some really abominable work over the years. You can buy one of his stock designs for a very reasonable price, but unfortunately they usually look like computer generated crap.
  • ingveingve Posts: 1,616
    [/quote]

You know, I can't resist modifying that a little to suit my feelings about the band.

"Geeze, I hope that Gers will leave the band. It's not the same with him."

:evil_laugh:
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    [quote author=ingve link=topic=9589.msg146838#msg146838 date=1260171011]
    [/quote]

You know, I can't resist modifying that a little to suit my feelings about the band.

"Geeze, I hope that Gers will leave the band. It's not the same with him."

:evil_laugh:
    [/quote]
    i'm likin' your version better!  :up:
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,494
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=9589.msg146830#msg146830 date=1260168303]
    [/quote]
    There's more wrong with Maiden than just the covers...

[/quote]

Most Maiden fans including myself would disagree. The band is doing pretty well these days. The last album was one of the their most successful albums to date and they still do it without the help of mainstream radio. My only issue with Maiden these days is I wish they were a 5 piece consisting of the classic lineup.

From what I understand is this is not the first time Maiden and Riggs have had a falling out. I believe after 'No Prayer..' their relationship ended on bad terms and that's why they started using other artists.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 10,067
    Most successful.... hmm I doubt it in terms of album sales.. and in terms of quality of product... not even close.
    [quote author=Super Avianti link=topic=9589.msg148138#msg148138 date=1261051762]
    Most successful.... hmm I doubt it in terms of album sales.. and in terms of quality of product... not even close.
    [/quote]

Overall albums sales I am not sure. 'A Matter Of Life and Death' was their highest U.S. charting album to date however....but we are living in different times as far as albums sales go. Whatever the case....they have maintained a huge amount of Worldwide success since 'Brave New World' was released in 2000. That's probably a longer tenure of success than they enjoyed in the 80's.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,082
    Am I missing something here? I thought the fallout with Riggs happened years ago.....? :hmm:
    [quote author=Stitsel link=topic=9589.msg148304#msg148304 date=1261191955]
    Am I missing something here? I thought the fallout with Riggs happened years ago.....? :hmm:
    [/quote]

I think it did when they decided to use someone else's artwork for 'Fear Of The Dark'. Not sure if that is the reason, but they did not use him again until 'Brave New World'. He also drew the artwork for the the "These Colors Don't Run" off of the last album. Not sure if this current thing is a real fallout. Maiden are still pushing Riggs book on their website and online store.
  • I'm a huge IM fan and I think their latest album is just awful.
    it's embarrassingly bad to my ear.  every song starts with a slow clean thing on either bass or guitar - it's like they just lost it - boys, wtf? 
    they are still great live of course, but the songwriting fire seems to be gone. 
    DOD was pretty average too. 
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    skorb, you've just summed up what I think has been wrong with Maiden for the last fifteen years.
    :clap:
  • M11M11 Posts: 841
    Totally agree with Sancho and skorb, I think Iron Maiden lost it after Fear of the Dark, to me that song is the blueprint of every Maiden song since, the recipe would be:

- Song in Em, other chords used would be C, D and G.
    - Clean power chord arpeggios with the bass and guitar for the first part of the song
    - The fast part then the galloping part that drives the fans apeshit.
    - Solo with harmonised melody played by two guitars.
    - End with the slow part with the power chord arpeggios (it's like they forgot other chord forms).

If only they would do more songs like Prodigal Son, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Revelations ...