New York Dolls

Ok, that are not really a Dino band.....so I figure put this post here.  Ive heard of them....just never heard them. Always linked them in my head as a dress up transvestite punk trash band from NYC. Ive seen lot of those pics of old KISS posters from 73 when they opened for the DOLLS or on same bill.
Now.....growing up with the Dino bands in late 70's/early 80's......I also had some Ramones, Pistols and Clash albums on my turntable.  Traded with some friends at  school  who happen to like that music as well as the dino bands.
Somehow the New York Dolls slipped my by. I watched a dvd other night called New York Doll. Sad tragic story about their original bass player Arthur Killer Kane. Thats what set my spark.  That and seeing Social Distortion last  Sunday night.
  Any DOLLS fans here. Any memories. Best albums?
  I heard some snips off first album at Amazon...and swear it was riff from Poison's first album. LOL.

Comments

• BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    wow, the New York Dolls! That's taking me back a long ways. I'm from New York so I remember when they were on the scene
    but I never ventured out to see them. I did have their first album and I loved it, especially the song Personality Crisis. When I
    first saw photos of them I was thinking WTF is that?!? They were probably one of the first bands I saw dressing up in that
    trashy hooker style, for lack of a better term. And didn't drummer Jerry Nolan have a pink kit?

I imagine they were a fun band to catch live and I'm sorry I never took the time. I think they embodied that rebellious rock 'n roll
    spirit and probably influenced quite a few bands back in the day. Not exactly the kind of stuff I listen to nowadays but back then
    I was young and they caught my attention.

I saw Queen at the Beacon Theater in New York around the time they had Night of The Opera out and after the show as everyone
    was leaving I remember seeing David Jo Hansen in the crowd and I think he was the one who blurted out "Queen is for queens".
    I can't remember what I did 2 weeks ago but I can remember that.  :chuckle:
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,221
    I never heard the New York Dolls in their day. I listened to a few of their songs for the first time just a few years back. Meh. Not bad, just nothing to make my jaws drop.

But I remember around 1979, David Johanson had a solo LP and a song called "Melody" was getting play with DJ Sky Daniels on WLUP (the Loop!). I remember thinking at the time what a powerful vocalist he was, with a very distinctive voice.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • I love the Dolls!  But I won't go see any of their reunion shows...two original members doesn't really seem like a reunion to me.

Plus, in this day and age, they're not really relevant as current artists-the shock value of what they did wore off a couple of decades ago.

so i have no interest in seeing them or hearing their new records.  BUT-those two albums from the early 70's are great!

And the doc about arthur Kane (the only NYD who was actually gay) is pretty awesome/heartbreaking.
  • ingveingve Posts: 1,616
    [quote author=Breakfastime link=topic=9368.msg143055#msg143055 date=1257121925]
    And the doc about arthur Kane (the only NYD who was actually gay) is pretty awesome/heartbreaking.
    [/quote]

WTF? Where are getting that snippet of wisdom from? Arthur wasn't gay. He was married several times and a reknowned womanizer.

I love the Dolls. David has one of the most distinctive voices.
  • [quote author=ingve link=topic=9368.msg143057#msg143057 date=1257122536]
    [quote author=Breakfastime link=topic=9368.msg143055#msg143055 date=1257121925]
    [/quote]

WTF? Where are getting that snippet of wisdom from? Arthur wasn't gay. He was married several times and a reknowned womanizer.

I love the Dolls. David has one of the most distinctive voices.
    [/quote]

A buddy of mine in LA told me this years ago.  I dunno, always just thought it was funny/odd (because many people look at the band and say 'what a bunch of fags').  Plenty of gay men get married and have kids, and chase pussy.  Maybe he was bisexual, maybe he 'turned', maybe my friend was wrong.  But I also heard this more recently from another rock and roll old timer (unrelated to the first source) so who knows?  Not that it matters, it was just an aside actually.  I don't really care what a person does in their private life (so i probably shouldn't have brought it up anyhow)

But hey-I've been wrong before!
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,125
    I'm a Dolls fan.
    I went to High School in Manhattan in the 80's and one of the big clubs Danceteria used to have cut out parties during the day for High School kids.
    They used to play the Dolls first album to death.
    They are a great band for a teenage boy to do drugs and have unprotected public sex too, good times...