thigns you just can't seem to appreiciate in metal?

124»

Comments

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,965
    [quote author=mr_crowley link=topic=9325.msg142790#msg142790 date=1256926531]
    I mean you can't take lyrics like: "We are from hell and are going to rape your soul while we are eating your sister's heart" seriously.

[/quote]

That´s so COOL !
    Who is it ?
    Darkthrone ? Mayhem ? Who !?

In all respect, to me the question is, how many

"A dawn on the run, nowhere to hide in a life of
    Corruption, insanity has won, I'm living in hate
    And preaching destruction
    I'm screaming tonight, my vengeance
    To fight has killed all morality
    The cries of the toll and madness control
    And liberate my energy - Axe to the wax!"

(Axe to the wax ???)

do you have to hear before you´ll WANT to hear lyrics like the ones you made up/quoted ?
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,627
    I just made those up... But I just can't like lyrics like that... Sure I like some dark lyrics like Ozzy, Priest, Maiden, Accept etc. and think those are quite cool but mostly these bands take it to another level that just makes it funny and not cool at all... everything can be done to a certain level before it becomes a parody of itself
  • T-MANT-MAN Posts: 271
    "...a fine line between clever and stupid."

In regard to metal lyrics,many metal bands have crossed into "The Realm of the Stupid." Stupid lyrics in metal are not confined to one sub-genre,although some sub-genres such as death-metal,black-metal and grindcore seem to revel in lyrical nonsense. (My guess is that it is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek humor...kind of like Manowar,etc.) How often can one sing about battles,dragons,decaying bodies,serial killers and murder?

I've found that many younger metal fans tend to gravitate towards bands with severely violent (or "brutal" as they put it) lyrics. The music is secondary to the lyrical angle. The general sonic formula is always the same...detuned guitars + growling cookie-monster vocals. Having some sort of gimmick related to imagery (I.e.-Black-Metal/Viking/Pagan/Folk-metal) seems to add to the appeal. Having a lead guitarist that can "sweep-pick" (regardless of the quality of the execution and application of the technique) is often appealing as well to younger guitarists.

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,965
    [quote author=T-MAN link=topic=9325.msg142926#msg142926 date=1257017342]
    Having a lead guitarist that can "sweep-pick" (regardless of the quality of the execution and application of the technique) is often appealing as well to younger guitarists.

[/quote]
    + 1. After the wacken festival every year I´m like: "If i never hear a distorted sweep picked lick again, ever, I´ll die relatively happy"
    :puking:

Every contemporary metal band has several spots for the guitarist(s) to showcase their "sweeping" and harmonically they could just slowly strum a barre chord down up down, and it would exite me just as much.