California Transit Authority

Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
Great band formed by original Chicago drummer and jam master Danny Seraphine.  I have the album Full Circle and it is just great.  The guitar player does an admirable job playing the Terry Kath stuff.  Highly recommended if you like old school Chicago when they could still jam like crazy.  Only knock are that the horns are all programmed by synths.

I have scored tickets, for next Saturday night, to see these guys in concert along with a Q & A.  Just me, my son and 398 others at this intimate show.

Anyone else a fan of either version of CTA?

Comments

• LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,729
    Wow, this one slipped past my radar somehow. I am going to check it out.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,776
    Loved the band back in the beginning when Terry was alive and kickin ass on guitar, after his death they became more commercial and horn oriented so i lost interest...Alway wondered what would have happened if Terry was still alive and in the band. Still have those lps!
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    Terry Kath was freakin' great!  Chicago did manage to suck pretty hard after Terry's passing.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    I totally agree about Kath.  He is what originally attracted me to Chicago.  He is definately one of my top ten guitar influences.  I am looking forward to this show.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,494
    I cringe every time I hear a Chicago song....something about them always annoyed the crap out of me.....
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,776
    Well ya had to have been there....1969/1970   long hair, bell bottoms, a little weed....i was there  :(   rick were you?  :)

Anyway..this will sound dated...back then it was awesome...
    A couple audio clips below, see the video section for an oldie video clip....

don

(Off the wall guitar solo))
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    Donthegreek,
        I was the guy passing it over from the next table.  :weed:

Chicago was the culmanation of the old style bandstand group. All highly talented. All willing to bridge the gap between old and new. At that time there were Psychedelic bands, Woodstock folkers and the British Invasion groups were still players. Blues rock was very big and Hard rock was in it's infancy. Chicago came in riding on one word. "Cool". We play killer music and you'll choose to find a way to fit us in.

I look at Chicago in much the same way I look at Bobby Darin's choice to record his "Mack the Knife" album after having gained a foothold in the business with pop songs like Splish Splash and Dream Lover. "Cool" is never outdated.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,221
    Terry Kath made Chicago a rock band. Without him, they were just a horn section.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
    [quote author=cvansickle link=topic=9185.msg140558#msg140558 date=1254914793]
    Terry Kath made Chicago a rock band. Without him, they were just a horn section.
    [/quote]

While I agree about Kath's contribution to the band you can't just discount Seraphine in the mix.  Just listen to the drum solos on the Chicagi live set.  He was one of the most underated and under-appreciated drummers.  He just kills.
  • [quote author=cvansickle link=topic=9185.msg140558#msg140558 date=1254914793]
    [/quote]

I hear what you are saying.

For me - despite 'If You Leave Me Now' etc, CTA were on a gradual creative decline anyway.

'Beginnings' is one of my fave songs of all time. Just get your guitars out, bash them chords, roll with it and, if you are like me, sing your heads off. :)
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,729
    The first nine albums they did were awesome as far as I was concerned. I loved the way they mixed jazz and rock together. It was very cool. My favorite, besides CTA, was "Live at Carnegie Hall." That album just crushed. It is one of my three favorite live albums ever.
    I expect a really great show if the Cd I have and the internet clips are any indication.
    [quote author=Donthegreek link=topic=9185.msg140543#msg140543 date=1254891176]
    Well ya had to have been there....1969/1970   long hair, bell bottoms, a little weed....i was there  :(   rick were you?  :)

Anyway..this will sound dated...back then it was awesome...
    A couple audio clips below, see the video section for an oldie video clip....

don

(Off the wall guitar solo))

[/quote]

Not buyin into that....there is alot of music I love that was produced before my time....being around while they were producing any album would not have changed how I feel about them....
    I just found out that Danny will be doing and in store performance at my store on the 28th. Not sure if it is with the CTA thing or not. Should be interesting.
    he just did an in store here at Sam Ash as well a couple of days after I saw him.  Show was simply amazing.  His guitar player, Mark Bonilla, from Keith Emerson's band is the closest I have seen to Terry Kath on the original CTA stuff.  They did all of the best stuff and some great covers as well.  Highly recommended.