Comments

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    It's a pretty heavy thought to think you can be at the level Mick was at and a contract change after his departure from the band ended his royalties. Part of me wants to bitch slap the rest of the band for not saying "continue to pay him from the albums he has been credited for". I guess Mick J. and Keith missed class the day they discussed "Do the right thing".

I was a teenager when Mick Taylor came aboard and, although the last Brian Jones as lead guitarist album, "Let it Bleed" was just killer, the following tour featured Mick Taylor and spawned the album "Get Your Ya Ya's Out". That live album, more than anything else, moved the Stones from their somewhat dated "blues rock" format to a raw harder rockin' style that ushered in their presence as a viable '70s rock band. With "Sticky Fingers" as a follow up their "60s band label" was brushed aside. Where many of their "band" peers drifted into history the Stones continued on into a career of historical proportions.

Mick Taylor never really contributed much to the songwriting, but, his lead work helped to solidly rebadge the band into a viable future.
  • I love the Stones music, but they have always been scum as people. They're screwing him.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I guess this is why you have good lawyers look closely at the contracts or at least have a buddy who is a good lawyer.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,797
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=9159.msg140080#msg140080 date=1254355148]
    I love the Stones music, but they have always been scum as people. They're screwing him.
    [/quote]

Yes, that's a shame. These guys are very rich...  they wouldn't even see the difference if they let him get paid decently...
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Business as usual, I guess :ohwell:
    How many other former members of really big bands do you reckon live in less than luxurious conditions?
    My guess, quite a lot.

This is not really that much different to bands being screwed over by labels and managers.
    I'm not up on my Stones history can somebody tell me why Mick T left the band? There might have been some bad blood going there which has resulted in this unfortunate turn of events.
  • I sent the link to my older brother. He was a big Stones guy back in the day. This is part of his reply:

I saw him play once in NYC at the Lone Star bar; this was probably late 90’s.  There was a warm-up band, a bunch of high school kids, and the place was full of their fans – most of them left when they finished.  There weren’t many people there, which shocked me.  When MT came on, he was apparently unhappy with his sound, and spent the set complaining to the sound guy and yelling at his band.  This was the summer, and he was wearing a long coat and winter scarf.  Somebody heckled him – “hey Mick, its 90 degrees out … what’s with the scarf?”  The whole thing was kind of embarrassing and sad, not at all what I was expecting.

Anyway, I hope he does get a lawyer; he certainly deserves some of the money.

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    Sancho,
              Mick was never really a fan of the Stones music. He was younger than the other members and was called in because of his skill level and reputation as a gunslinger in recording studios. With Brian gone Mick J. saw a chance to grab a great lead player and offerred Mick T. the position. Within a few years the Stones lifestyle had led Mick T. into drug addiction, ill health, etc.

Mick T., because of his age and personal taste in music, never really felt like one of "the boys".  What finally ended it was one of the Mick J. - Keith Richards periods of disagreement that escalated to the point that band practice, studio time and touring were like a constant series of battles between the two. For someone like Mick T., it was just the last straw.  Kinda like.... I can't live this way. This shits not worth it. I'm sick, fucked up, and pissed off at these two idiots that can't seem to come to terms. I'm leaving.
  • I think a big reason why he left was Jagger and Richards were constantly screwing him out of songwriting credits. Mick claims he had a lot to do with "Moonlight Mile" and a few songs on It's Only Rock and Roll, but only received credit for "Ventilator Blues" off of Exile on Main Street.
  • Actually, if you read the article, it says he felt that he would have been dead in less than a year (due to drugs) had he not left. He's been giving that answer consistently for years. Not everyone can be Keith.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=9159.msg140093#msg140093 date=1254364122]
    I guess this is why you have good lawyers look closely at the contracts or at least have a buddy who is a good lawyer.
    [/quote]

I've heard stories of people suddenly 'not makiing the cut' when they try to bring in their own lawyers to scrutinize the legal stuff.

i.e., "it's our way or the highway" sort of a deal: "Here's the contracts, here's our lawyer, he says it's good.  you okay with that?"

it's a lousy business, and like they say-the time to sell out is when you've found a buyer.  Wait a week or two, and you might be out of luck.

Back to MT-I was under the impression that he wrote a lot of riffs (like 'Can't you hear me knocking"-one of the Stones' toughest-sounding riffs) and was never credited for them, his early 80's settlement with the Stones was their way of 'paying him off to keep quiet' about the whole thing.

• Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    Mick Taylor could have gone down as a legend.  Its all very sad how it ended for such an awesome player.

I just put on Sticky Fingers, damn, what a classic album.  Mick's solo's on Sway are fucking killer.  He so easily could have been in a dino band if he desired.  No problem at all.

• I'm going to see him in a couple of weeks - Really looking forward to it !!