What truly frightens me...

13»

Comments

• pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,659
    [quote author=EP3383 link=topic=9084.msg139076#msg139076 date=1253228683]
    I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that good Classic Rock also sounds natural and raw.  That's part of the formula IMO.  The production techniques of today take away from that vintage feel, which is an important part of getting the vibe right for Classic Rock.  I think something needs to be done about that, because it is restricting the flow of new music into the genre.
    [/quote]

I always got that feeling from the Black Crowes. Even though they came along later, they sound and feel like a 70s band.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• ingveingve Posts: 1,616

When Tesla came out with  "Mechanical Resonance" in the late 80's, everybody was labelling them as a 70's
    retro band too.

:hmm:

• maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Went to see a friend's band last night.  There were 5 bands on the bill for $10.  Got there midway through the 3rd band's set.  They weren't horrible, not really my cup of tea and the sound really sucked.  The next band I saw was Doll House Accessories.  They were really good.  I told the band leader after the set how good they  were and asked if they had anything out, but alas they are in the process of recording.  They had a couple of songs that were pure dino, but most of their set was a pop/punk/alt structure.  They had good old fashioned solos and the guitarists did a good job.  I was really impressed.  It gave me hope for the future of dino, but as I said earlier I think it will be morphing in one shape or form.  The other band was Chasing Curiosity.  They were good, but more in the alt punk format.  They had great stage presence and the songs are good, but we had moved up to be with the parents of our friend.  The sound there was not as good as we were on one side of the stage and this was the side with the bass and drums.  All in all a good night and it does give me hope for dino because all these kids were brought up on dino and incorporate it into thier playing.  Lots of fun.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• JasonJason Posts: 1,931
    All very good points here, especially Rick's.
    Part of the reason I keep telling everyone that my band isn't going to sound like "classic rock" is because I don't want to be painted into that corner. I don't understand why I can't play pop songs with heavy guitars and add a solo -- call it wtv u want (though it's mostly hard rock/heavy metal) and just carry on.
    Airbourne copped ACDC's sound. Jet copped the Beatles' sound.
    I realize Australia has a hard rock revival scene but they really should have tried to do something different and new; rather than adhere to a specific formula (marshall plexi's, clean crunchy tones, gibsons, similar kind of vocals). IMO I think different production could have saved those bands from being labeled as unoriginal -- I think they had good songs. Oasis also got dogged with the Beatles comparisons.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    The problem with Oasis was that Gallagher kept saying they were better than the beatles who he would then go on to state were their heroes.  No they were not better than the beatles, but they weren't half bad

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• ingveingve Posts: 1,616

Weren't half good either.....