Thrash metal

I always like to tell people that Guns N' Roses were the first band I started listening to. But actually I was really into thrash before that, I was a huge Metallica fan and also listened to Megadeth and Exodus. As soon as I got into GNR I didn't really listen to them anymore. I've tried to get into it many times but I just can't. The main problem to me is that it doesn't sound very melodic or tasty to me. The exceptions here are Metallica and Megadeth but I was never able to listen much to Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, Metal Church, ...

Most of the Megadeth stuff I knew was from Friedman era. I thought there were some great melodies in that stuff. Saw Peace Sells in the store today for € 4 and I picked it up. I think this sounds a lot more like thrash than the Friedman stuff. The playing on the album is superb but it doesn't do as much for me as Holy Wars or Symphony of Destruction. I don't regret buying it but I won't be spinning it all the time either. Still want to get the Friedman albums though.

Thoughts/opinions?

Comments

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    There's a lot more melody in Belladonna-era Anthrax than there ever was in Metallica.
    Metal Church aren't thrash, they just got thrown on that heap because it was the happening new thing when they emerged and their singer didn't sound like Steve Perry :wink:

I love thrash. It has to be my favourite subgenre of metal. Abattoir, early Annihilator, Evil Dead, Dark Angel, Exodus, Overkill, Whiplash... Bring em all on!
    Of the new generation of thrash bands I particularly like Municipal Waste (who err on the crossover side of thrash, like Nuclear Assault) and Warbringer.
  • I remember when the first Metallica albums were released. One of my friends went  really crazy about them.  At first, I was a bit reluctant, probably because they had less melodic content than most of the already existing metal bands. But I was amazed by the rhythmic madness and the huge wall of palm-muted riffing.

BTW, at that time, we didn't know about  "thrash metal",  we just regarded Metallica or Megadeth as new metal bands pushing boundaries further. After all, the first "thrash metal" song could very well go back to 1975 (the mighty "Symptom of the Universe")...

In the second half of the 80s, and beginning of the 90s, classic metal went through very disappointing times, and IMO the banner of metal was temporarily carried by the thrashers.  I never really became a fan of thrash metal though, but I really enjoy some of it: Metallica up to "Justice...", the two first albums of Annihilator, Testament with Skolnick.  Last but not least, there's Megadeth, by far my favorite thrash band... maybe because their sound has more of classic metal to my ears. 
  • I like to say I first started listening to thrash metal but really I was listening to other stuff that really had nothing to do with metal (hey, I grew up in the 90s, in an era where Nirvana seemed to have single-handledly knocked heavy metal out of the public eye - admittedly I was once a huge fan of Nirvana).  I also think the heavy metal genre had done itself in, and sort of set themselves up for their undoing in the 90s.

I got into thrash the moment I heard a Slayer song, and hell, was I blown away.  But I was listening to a classic Slayer song as this was already well into the 90s and Metallica had already lost their balls (I remember listening to some Metallica on MTV and thought it sucked).  When I stumbled through old Metallica stuff  from the same era as the Slayer song I had just heard I was equally impressed.  From then on, I really got into thrash - listening to ol' Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth (who I think are now my current thrash faves - them or Testament) , Testament, Anthrax, Exodus, etc.

I do agree that the banner of metal was sort of carried by the thrash bands and most referenced the dinos that preceded them as inspirations.  Because of that, I was becoming more aware of dino rock and so once I discovered it I couldn't get enough of it.  So then I listened to more dino rock but I definitely still listen to some good ol thrash metal.  There's something about thrash that pumps me up - yea, it generally lacks the tasty melody of dino rock - but its speed, atttitude, and agressive palm muted riffs are kick-ass. Anyways, I still dig it.
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,680
    I love thrash.  The early Exodus, Anthrax, Testament, and Metallica stuff is very good.  But the best thrash band of the '80's was Slayer, by far.

I always liked that Pantera picked up that ball in the early '90's and kept running with it.  There were others, of course, Kreator was pretty awesome.  Another much-overlooked early thrash band was Omen.  "Thorn in Your Flesh" was downright MEAN.
  • I think that ThrashMetal is not melodic. And Megadeth is in my humble opinion never played Thrashmetal. They were more melodic and more mainstream you know?
    But it is very funny to listen the Anthrax and Slayer sometimes (for 10-20 Minutes) Recently I listened to all Records of Testament (it's always the same song even after 20 years of Band Existence) But The new song of Forbidden kicks so much ASS!!!
    Check it out ;) http://www.myspace.com/forbidden__evil It reminds me of Testament because Steve Smyth played there before.
    [quote author=Caparison link=topic=9057.msg138502#msg138502 date=1252688178]
    And Megadeth is in my humble opinion never played Thrashmetal.
    [/quote]

Which is why the "Big Four Of Thrash" are Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth?
    I agree that Megadeth went in a more melodic direction after Rust In Peace, but by that standard the only real thrash band of those four is Slayer, who never wavered...

[quote author=otcconan link=topic=9057.msg138497#msg138497 date=1252686730]
    Another much-overlooked early thrash band was Omen.  "Thorn in Your Flesh" was downright MEAN.
    [/quote]

I've never heard Omen referred to as thrash before. Same as Metal Church really. In Europe they were either referred to as heavy metal or, if the reviewer was feeling creative, power metal. Although I do seem to remember some magazines ranking early Metal Church under the thrash banner, come to think of it :hmm:

Which is why I generally don't bother with labels and subgenres. AC/DC, Maiden, Slayer... It's all heavy rock to me :metal:
    I guess I mentioned Omen because their music to me sounds like riffs similar to Metallica's, played at mid-tempos.  They might not be pure thrash.

IMO, Slayer is the greatest thrash band because they never stopped being thrash.  All the others have.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 10,067
    Metal Church here in the early 90's was known as Power Metal... but then so were the likes of Savatage, Queensryche!! and Fifth Angel.
  • [quote author=otcconan link=topic=9057.msg138512#msg138512 date=1252692832]Slayer is the greatest thrash band because they never stopped being thrash.[/quote]

Reign In Blood is the best thrash album ever recorded.

• IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    alex skolnick is IMO the best lead player in thrash (well, maybe tying with marty friedman, abut in a metal context, skolnick pushes more buttons for me).
  • I'm really into Peace Sells, enjoy it much more than I thought possible. And the best is yet to come. But damn those songs are hard to play.
  • Ah, Thrash, nothing beats Metallica at their prime.

Seattle '89. A pure display of power. It gives me goosebumps every time.

:smile:
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    i'll raise you one wake up dead!
    :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kSvN1dQjxc
    [quote author=eanax_g link=topic=9057.msg140624#msg140624 date=1254975280]
    [quote author=otcconan link=topic=9057.msg138512#msg138512 date=1252692832]Slayer is the greatest thrash band because they never stopped being thrash.[/quote]

Reign In Blood is the best thrash album ever recorded.
    [/quote]
    You sir, are quite correct.
    I'd say there's very little to find fault with on any of the first five Slayer albums. Add to that the fact they're a killer live band and we have a clear winner.

One of the most underrated thrash bands has to be Overkill. They just don't seem to get any respect. They've been going at it for 25 years, have released a string of killer albums with very few duffers, are a super tight live band with maybe the best frontman in thrash, yet they are barely more than a footnote :036: