Philip Sayce

2»

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=9017.msg137995#msg137995 date=1252332433]
    He plays very well, but he sounds very 1-dimensional to me.  Like he's got that one set of pentatonic licks down very well, and that's his whole bag. Granted, I only watched a couple of clips.
    [/quote]

I really liked what I saw of Sayce...in fact, I'm kind of weird because I actually liked his original/improv material way better than that of a veteran like Doug Aldrich (the latter for me shines mostly when he plays other people's stuff). But I'm a sentimental idiot: I really love pentatonic stuff when mastered, and I'll take it any day over harmonic minor and mixolydian caffeine abuse.

But, like Dave, I'm waiting for something more: a good ole Aeolian, Lost Horizons/We'll Burn the Sky would be quite welcome.
  • Doug has a lot more stylistic diversity.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • OMG, you guys kill SRV a few weeks ago and praise this UNORIGINAL guy?!?!?!?!  Yes he is a great player, but there is a guy just about like this in every medium size town in all of North America. 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=9017.msg138011#msg138011 date=1252346962]
    Doug has a lot more stylistic diversity.
    [/quote]

You have a good point. But neither of them have too much going on in terms of phrasing, do they? 

I should point out that I do respect Doug Aldrich as being a really good player, and in Sayse's case, at least I like the style he's playing in. Not quite Eric Gales, but then again not bad at all, in my humble opinion.

[quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=9017.msg138012#msg138012 date=1252347385]
    OMG, you guys kill SRV a few weeks ago and praise this UNORIGINAL guy?!?!?!?!  Yes he is a great player, but there is a guy just about like this in every medium size town in all of North America. 
    [/quote]

Well, you might be right. But Vaughn's unoriginality manifests itself in a style and sound that bore me to tears. Sayse doesn't.
  • Chubtone would mop the floor with this guy.  Stevil, I see what you like about him, but with guys like Stark, Chub, Soulstealer in this very forum I am not sure this guy is all that.  And, in his genre, you have guys like John Mayer that write hit songs.
  • there is a guy just about like this in every medium size town in all of North America. 
    Exactly!
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=9017.msg138014#msg138014 date=1252348435]
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=9017.msg138011#msg138011 date=1252346962]
    Doug has a lot more stylistic diversity.
    [/quote]

You have a good point. But neither of them have too much going on in terms of phrasing, do they? 

[/quote]

aldrich's solo stuff has MONSTEROUS grooves, and his lions stuff and what i've heard  of burning rain has fantastic phrasing. doug is one of the best.

midnight sun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyx03co5Bv8
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    We're comparing apples and oranges .

Aldrich is a " hired gun " . When I saw him with Dio he nailed everything . He had Viv's tone and phrasing down to a " T " then switched to a strat and channeled RB with ease .

Sayce is a jammer . Probably never plays the same thing twice and doesn't rely on technique to get his point across . Sayce probably couldn't play a Steve Vai lick not because he can't but because he has no desire .

• IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    yeah, but when aldrich is doing his own thing in his own bands, he's flat out on another level compared to his whitesnake and dio stuff IMHO. and he got his own thing going for lead in his own bands. it's like lynch meets sykes meets aldrich's own style of flying around the neck. his dio and whitesnake stuff isn't as good lead wise as his earlier stuff. i believe that it was chubtone that said that aldrich is more "vanilla" in his note choices no0w. probably because he's got to fill a role in dio and whitesnake. and it's a really specific role that doesn't allow for much deviation, because both bands have such a dedicated fanbase. but i digress. i still really like this guy, phillip sayce. he's really gritty and bluesy. and his playing is exciting, something that i often miss in these hendrix and SRV influenced guys. 
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,697
    Been listening to Peace Machine a lot today and have to say it just kills. There is the obvious Hendrix vibe, but I am feeling a good bit of Trower in the structure of the songs as well. I would never try to compare this guy on a technical level to players like Aldritch. It just aint the same thing. With Sayce, I get the feeling that its all about the jam and the feeling of the song. His tone is excellent for this music and his delivery is just excellent. John Mayer may write hit songs, but he doesn't move me the way Sayce does. Thanks for the heads up on this guy Stevil, I am really digging him.
  • StevilStevil Posts: 3,334
    [quote author=LerxstFan link=topic=9017.msg138040#msg138040 date=1252369845]
    Been listening to Peace Machine a lot today and have to say it just kills. There is the obvious Hendrix vibe, but I am feeling a good bit of Trower in the structure of the songs as well. I would never try to compare this guy on a technical level to players like Aldritch. It just aint the same thing. With Sayce, I get the feeling that its all about the jam and the feeling of the song. His tone is excellent for this music and his delivery is just excellent. John Mayer may write hit songs, but he doesn't move me the way Sayce does. Thanks for the heads up on this guy Stevil, I am really digging him.
    [/quote]

You're welcome man, I've been enjoying Peace Machine too. The Tone, the feel. There are a lot of Hendrix/SRV types out there but they lack the fire and the attitude. Philip has that. I wish some day, I'll master the attitude he has in my playing.