Music as Entertainment Only Vs. What We Each Think

HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
Reading this from the Petrucci thread:

[quote author=Fence link=topic=8999.msg137645#msg137645 date=1251983416]
From the interviews that i've read and things I know from a hunch. He (Petrucci) doesn't see music as something self fulfilling. He says that music is for entertainment only. Only fun. Which works for most folks. But it shows in his music.
[/quote]

Music for me (and probably most people here) is something far more than entertainment. Music to me is the most effective way to communicate emotion to another. It can transcend language, geography, preconceptions. It can motivate, affirm, sober, commiserate, and yes, be one heck of alot of fun.

Sometimes, I actually resent music, because it means so much. That's when I know I need to back off a little, put the guitar and cds away for a little while, spend some time doing different, affirming stuff with my fiancee. But I never lose my basic feeling for music, and I respect it for its power. It's a bit like love itself.

I'm curious how others here feel about the above quoted post concerning Petrucci, and of course their thoughts on music.

I don't necessarily mean this thread to be "deep", I was just curious.

Comments

• [quote author=Haffner link=topic=9007.msg137657#msg137657 date=1251995283]
    Reading this from the Petrucci thread:

[quote author=Fence link=topic=8999.msg137645#msg137645 date=1251983416]
    From the interviews that i've read and things I know from a hunch. He (Petrucci) doesn't see music as something self fulfilling. He says that music is for entertainment only. Only fun. Which works for most folks. But it shows in his music.
    [/quote]

Music for me (and probably most people here) is something far more than entertainment. Music to me is the most effective way to communicate emotion to another. It can transcend language, geography, preconceptions. It can motivate, affirm, sober, commiserate, and yes, be one heck of alot of fun.

Sometimes, I actually resent music, because it means so much. That's when I know I need to back off a little, put the guitar and cds away for a little while, spend some time doing different, affirming stuff with my fiancee. But I never lose my basic feeling for music, and I respect it for its power. It's a bit like love itself.

I'm curious how others here feel about the above quoted post concerning Petrucci, and of course their thoughts on music.

I don't necessarily mean this thread to be "deep", I was just curious.
    [/quote]

I disagree with the original quote.  The songs he has written have been about his late father as well as some clearly turbulent personal relationships, so I don't buy that he sees music as entertainment only.

• IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    i totaly agree haffner. music is always present in my life. and it always has been, even when i didn't play guitar. its simply a part of my life, and i really can't see it any other way. yeah. sometimes is nice to give it a break just so you can do something else, but really, it never leaves.

its really food for the soul and it's entertainment.
  • ChubtoneChubtone Posts: 3,160
    I would need to read an actual quote from Petrucci saying what we are attributing to him here. I'm not saying he hasn't said it, just that I haven't read it. I don't think you get anywhere near the technical prowess that Petrucci has attained by not being deeply into music. Imagine the hours he has spent to get to where he is. That is extreme dedication. He went to Berklee School of Music. He writes extremely deep songs. Now maybe he was talking about how the normal person feels about music or maybe he was commenting on the actual place of music in society. After all, music is really just entertainment. It's just way deeper than that for the people creating it.

When I play Xbox 360, that is entertainment. When I create music it's substantially deeper than that. When a normal person listens to what I created though I think it is just entertainment. Hopefully entertaining in a good way.  :LOL:
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    As with Chubtone, I have not seen that quote.  I can't see JP seeing music in that manner given the songs he has written and what the topics mean to him.  I agree also that you don't pursue music to the level he has without being devoted to it which means you put a piece of you into it.  Making music to me is something very personal whether it is writing a song or interpreting a song.  I have never been at a point in my life where music was not partof it.  I do however separate out stuff that has personal meaning and stuff that is pure entertainment.  My wife lets me know when my music creation collides with family life and I expect that as I can be a bit obsessive sometimes.  A balance is needed for me at least.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=9007.msg137665#msg137665 date=1252005901]
    Making music to me is something very personal whether it is writing a song or interpreting a song.  I have never been at a point in my life where music was not partof it.  I do however separate out stuff that has personal meaning and stuff that is pure entertainment.  My wife lets me know when my music creation collides with family life and I expect that as I can be a bit obsessive sometimes.   A balance is needed for me at least.
    [/quote]

I totally feel this.

At one point in my life I had to give up on making music, because it meant so much to me, and I didn't feel like I deserved the pleasure of making it. When I first got back into it, I became so immersed that for a short while I couldn't see that I was hurting my fiancee through neglect and bad prioritising. She couldn't tell me at first because I was working really hard, and she could tell how much it meant to me. After awhile things came to a head. Today I stay as focused as I can, while looking out for signals from my girl. As much as music means to me, love has to come first, ya know? As great as music is to me, I'd be nothing without her around.
  • This is a really great thread, I can't wait to read what people think about this topic.  It's thought provoking, and I expect that the dialogue will be excellent.  +1 for starting this Haffner.

Music is a bit different for me in I treat it more as a hobby than as an integral part of my life.  That's not to say that music doesn't mean something to me, because it does.  I enjoy listening to it and when I'm listening, I do feel intense emotions and link memories to songs.  It's just that making music is more play time and for fun than for deep personal reflection.  This probably stems from the fact that ever since I can remember, I've been competitive and active in whatever activity I can find and enjoy doing.  I enjoy the fulfillment that comes from attempting to master something that is difficult, and music/playing the guitar is one of those endeavors.  I've also never really been an emotional person; I have my ups and downs, but that part of me definitely isn't developed as much as most other people.  Most of my life has been doing rather than reflecting.  I love being in the moment and getting the most out of life given the opportunities that I've been blessed with.

What I play is a reflection of me and what I'm thinking, but I don't make it too personal in my own mind.  If I'm playing for something and they like it, that's great.  But if they don't, it's not a big deal either, because I'm still enjoying it myself and playing what I like to hear.  Music has always just been an expression of happiness, never to express sadness or love or any more intense, passionate emotions.  Perhaps that will change as I get older, but for now, it's all for fun and nothing serious.  I think if there's any emotion to be expressed in my playing, it's just joy and a little sense of humor.
  • Music is an integral part of my life. Before I played guitar, I was effectively asleep and not very motivated to have any kind of success. Music really opened me up, and gave me a powerful outlet for my emotions.

My songs convey my feelings of loss, heart break, false hope, longing, loneliness, awakening, and internal triumph. I feel like I can truly be myself when I'm playing music, like I'm really giving others 100% of myself.

Music has given me the confidence to be a more disciplined, healthy person. It's made me start taking school and exercize much more seriously, and it has given me hope and personal direction.

Playing music just feels right to me. Everything about it comes to me very naturally. My life makes more sense when I'm involved with music. It is the fiber of my being.

Sure, music is entertaining, but it's much more than that. It is the pure expression of our souls, and like Haffner says, it transcends other forms of communication.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I'm a huge fan of music and very fortunate to have some god given ability and am able to create as well as duplicate music each and everyday . Its been that way for over 30 years .

Music as entertainment ? Indeed it is . Taking it too seriously kinda takes the fun out of it . Most of us have a deeper appreciation than most people and we should consider ourselves lucky that such a subjective and intangable subject speaks to us on a level which most people don't possess the capacity to truly understand .

I can't tell you how great I feel spreading my guitar gospel to those who would never be exposed to it . That has become a truly motivating factor for me and my obsession with music and performance .
  • Great thread Andy!  The way I consider music, and its importance in my life, have changed a lot through the years, but it has always been there, in one form or another. I'm just an amateur player, mostly playing for myself nowadays, and never in my life thought of becoming a professional musician. As a consequence, I don't feel I have the right to claim that music is more than, strictly speaking, entertainment to me... However, listening to music feeds my inner world, and playing guitar provides me a cryptic way to express feelings that I would keep for myself otherwise. There's also a part of discipline and knowledge that involves, at least, a very active and immersive form of entertainment.  

As for Petrucci's quote... I don't know the context, but I agree with Chubtone:  I can't imagine someone reaching such a level without being deeply into what he's doing.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    I'm happily flattered and moved that this thread has provoked such deeply felt responses. Cheers to all of you :beer:.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,895
    Music has been my live, music has been my living as  I have been fortunate enough to have earnt a good wedge for it at times,  music has been my dispair, my friend, my enemy, my lover, my motivator,  my handicap, my commincator but above all for me (my) music is in its purest when it entertains others.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    Music is many things, to different people at various times in their lives.
    Music has always been an obsession for ME, and I don´t know why, Nobody in my family plays.
    Other people have often had difficulties understanding my tastes in music, because I hate "functional music", music designed to make you dance (disco/club music), or feel relaxed (new age), or whatever it´s designed for.
    Music is an art form to me, and conveys feelings I appreciate and enjoy, while others thinks it´s useless noise.
    And to their ears it is, you can´t educate people to feel the same things in a given piece of music as you feel.
    when i was 15 i was into the first three Mike Oldfield albums, big time, and found them very serene, rural, to my senses.
    A friend I had found it extremely horrifying music, because he associated it with The Exorcist (the movie), so music really can mean very different things to different people.
    My 20 old son played Mad World, the Gary Jules version, for me on piano the other day, I didn´t know that he had learned it, and I was just overwhelmed to tears by love for this beautiful and gifted young man, my son, all triggered by the notes he played.
    Amazing.
    But as I said; the same music means very different things, emotionally, to different people. It´s all about what YOU put into the music.
    Like Lex Luthor says:
    " Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe."
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,650
    Michelangelo spent near half a decade of his life creating art on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Yet, at the end of the day, the ceiling's main function is to keep the rain out and the incense in. So... What purpose did his art serve? What sense of purpose drove him to create the art?

Merriam-Webster offers multiple definitions for it's entries. For the word entertain a couple of those are... "a. To keep, hold, or maintain in the mind." "b. To receive and take into consideration."    Among the definitions of entertainment is "Something diverting or engaging".

If art, of any type, has any function, it's to entertain the mind of those who see or hear it. It's a form of entertainment that engages the mind and causes it to think or react in one form or another.

In the musical art form these mental engagements can result in anything from a physical desire to dance or cry or bang your head or even laugh to emotional desires to feel or be in touch with deeper sensitivities to thought provoking desires to understand or read into or get something out of or attain an alternative viewpoint, etc.

All art forms are entertaining. I doubt any would exist if they weren't.

Rick
  • music is definitely a gift, a really beautiful gift... irreplaceable.
    I love watching shredders play fast as entertainment, not as music... only a few shredders sound musical anyway...
    and I hate modern music... I can't see them as entertainment or art.... I don't understand most people these days...
  • I'm in the music is entertainment camp myself. It can change your mood, bring out different feelings and become a big part of your life. But so can alcohol, drugs and love. :evil_laugh: