Keith Richards going for it during guitar solo

Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
I am not sure what drugs if any Keith is on here, but he just kept playing during his solo... Good stuff, and this is old Keith, not the young Keith that used to solo a good bit!

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 1,931
    Brings tears to my eyes. I have a soft spot for rock veterans who go for it.
    Kudos to Keef.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,900
    That brought tears to my eyes to, man the drugs DONT work!
  • Old SchoolOld School Posts: 763
    That was great! Thanks for posting it  :up:
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    For fans of raw, down and dirty. Good for you, Keith!
  • Brings tears to my ears.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,797
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=8933.msg136547#msg136547 date=1251124867]
    Brings tears to my ears.
    [/quote]

:roll:  Not exactly a tight performance... but, well, it's cool to see them still rocking... 
  • I was just referring to the solo.  Keith -- like Pete Townshend, tried to play decent leads for a short period around 1968.  The solo on the studio version of Sympathy is about as close as Keith ever got to sounding like a lead guitarist. And then, mercifully, Mick Taylor joined.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,797

I was just referring to the solo.  Keith -- like Pete Townshend, tried to play decent leads for a short period around 1968.  The solo on the studio version of Sympathy is about as close as Keith ever got to sounding like a lead guitarist. And then, mercifully, Mick Taylor joined.
    Yep. Mick Taylor really raised the bar.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    [quote author=Seven Moons link=topic=8933.msg136553#msg136553 date=1251130617]

I was just referring to the solo.  Keith -- like Pete Townshend, tried to play decent leads for a short period around 1968.  The solo on the studio version of Sympathy is about as close as Keith ever got to sounding like a lead guitarist. And then, mercifully, Mick Taylor joined.
    Yep. Mick Taylor really raised the bar.
    [/quote]

Agreed

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,494
    That performance looks like it was around the early 90's....I could be mistaken though. Jesus that staging is massive....
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=8933.msg137165#msg137165 date=1251608541]
    That performance looks like it was around the early 90's....I could be mistaken though. Jesus that staging is massive....
    [/quote]

I think the reason for the extended solo is to give Mick ample time to come down from that platform where he starts the song. It looks about 200 feet high!

When they played here  a couple years ago in Zilker park we could hear it miles away.   They released the show on DVD and i saw it a while later...outgrageous production. It was a huge stage with seating up in the balconies-yes the stage had balconies.  The stage also had a detachable section with drums and amps and the whole band rode out into the middle of the crowd (of course the pathway was fenced off) and played several songs on a platform out there.  Crazy.
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,680
    They really haven't had a legit lead player since Mick Taylor.  Ron Wood is better playing bass and Keith is just atrocious.  Jeff Beck confirmed in a recent interview that he was offered the job after Taylor left, but by then he was riding high off Blow by Blow.  Plus, he's kind of reclusive and isn't one to do massive tours.  But if he had taken that gig, he'd probably have a LOT more hot rods.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I am not so sure Jeff's style would fit into RS.  He tends to like to experiment much more than the stones are prone to.  Not sure him and Mick would have hit it off either.  Keith and Mick were close, but from what I understand that relationship would turn toxic very quickly and then resolve itself until they took that break.  They have actually taken several breaks over the years if you look at output distance and tour scheduling.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• starkstark Posts: 626
    I guess you have to have been brought up on the Stones to appreciate it. I was never, and still ain't, a fan. To my ears he sounds sloppy, untight and not really sure of what his next move will be. Compared to, for instance, Billy Gibbons, old Keef really gives blues a bad name in this solo imho.
    I'm sorry if I offended any "true fans" here, but it's a bit like with Ace Frehley, who is also often put on a pedestal and made "untouchable". Just because he was a really cool idol, doesn't necessaily mean he's the greatest thing since powdered milk when it comes to the tone, technique or feel of guitar playing. Of course, some of my own "untouchable" idols probably affect other people in the same way.
    It's just my point of view and I stand by it.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,943
    [quote author=stark link=topic=8933.msg141835#msg141835 date=1256041905]
    I guess you have to have been brought up on the Stones to appreciate it. I was never, and still ain't, a fan. To my ears he sounds sloppy, untight and not really sure of what his next move will be. Compared to, for instance, Billy Gibbons, old Keef really gives blues a bad name in this solo imho.
    I'm sorry if I offended any "true fans" here, but it's a bit like with Ace Frehley, who is also often put on a pedestal and made "untouchable". Just because he was a really cool idol, doesn't necessaily mean he's the greatest thing since powdered milk when it comes to the tone, technique or feel of guitar playing. Of course, some of my own "untouchable" idols probably affect other people in the same way.
    It's just my point of view and I stand by it.
    [/quote]
    + 1
    May I stand beside you ?
    I never got the stones either, the who, yes, but stones, no. And when I was a teen they went disco with "Emotional Rescue", and then I just gave up on ´em, though later I´ve come to appreciate "At their satanic majesties request" and "Love you live".