John Mayer goes Dino with ZZ Top and Slash

Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area

A blues guy going more dino versus a dino going more bluesy, anyway, a sloppy jam, but still cool.

Comments

• LegacyLegacy Posts: 878
    That was alright, Slash and Gibbons were cool, can't say I think much of John Mayer, I still haven't got over his god awful cover of Panama :

:diebitch:  :puke:

• Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547

OMG, not he didn't?!?!?!?!  What was he thinking on this one?!?!?!?
  • whoopass1whoopass1 Posts: 1,395
    [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=8930.msg136438#msg136438 date=1251062395]

A blues guy going more dino versus a dino going more bluesy, anyway, a sloppy jam, but still cool.
    [/quote]

Call me crazy, but I actually like John Mayer's solo on this tune.  :shock:

• LegacyLegacy Posts: 878
    When he sticks to his Blues playing he's ok.

Nothing special, but capable.

Though when he tries to play stuff that's out of his league like Dino stuff, it's just embarrassing.
  • Hmmm, I liked Mayers solo the best of all three solos, with Gibbons being close second. Slash's solo is kind of mwaah.
  • [quote author=Legacy link=topic=8930.msg136499#msg136499 date=1251097571]
    When he sticks to his Blues playing he's ok.

Nothing special, but capable.

Though when he tries to play stuff that's out of his league like Dino stuff, it's just embarrassing.
    [/quote]

Agreed, he's strictly a blues guitarist.  He doesn't have the right feel for rock playing.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,931
    IMO, he doesn't even have the right feel for blues. I find him terribly boring. Good songwriter though.
  • I like Mayer's solo the most here as well.

John Mayer is one of the best modern guitar players out there. He's very melodic, and though I'm rather neutral towards his blues playing, I think he plays the best, most evoking stuff when he's playing his own music.

Listen to "Where the Light Is", his recent live album, to hear some great guitar playing, both acoustic and electric.

John Mayer is a phenomenal musician, and even though there are many people who love to hate him he is undoubtedly extremely talented.

Honestly, I'd much rather listen to him play guitar than Michael Schenker.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    I didn't think the "Panama" thing was all that bad...was just a few guys up there trying to have some fun....was also an excuse to for Mayer to play his 20k Frankenstrat......although I am sure being a Fender endorse he didn't even pay half that....