Neil Young: "I suck"

Old SchoolOld School Posts: 763
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
From the latest issue of Guitar World:

GW: How would you characterize your lead playing?

YOUNG: It sucks! It's just a fucking racket. I get totally lost when I'm playing guitar. I'll just play a melody over and over again and change the tone, bend a string, do all that. I'm totally engrossed in what I'm doing. At one with it. But I suck. I've heard myself.

:LOL:  I love Neil.

Comments

• He's right!
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 10,067
    Finally, a guy that truly understands his own playing!
  • Couldn't agree more. Well said, Neil.
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    This erases all the shit I used to say about his playing.  A humble man is refreshing.  I can never talk shit about his lead playing again.  Every member on this forum is a MUCH better lead player than Neil Young.  NY makes Keef Richards look like EVH.  That being said, I won't comment on rythym guitar playing or songwriting. 
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,646
    Well that's mighty big of you Guns.
  • I like Neil, and I pretty much grew up listening to "Harvest" and "After the Gold Rush." I find his lead playing to be brutally ugly and somewhat endearing at the same time.
  • I LOVE his lead playing!  He does suck....but that is some of the most consistent and identifiable suckage out there...tons of character...
  • SoulstealerSoulstealer Posts: 2,305
    [quote author=FugaziOsborne link=topic=8857.msg135266#msg135266 date=1249973370]
    I LOVE his lead playing!  He does suck....but that is some of the most consistent and identifiable suckage out there...tons of character...
    [/quote]

I do too. I think he and Willie Nelson are both very unique and interesting to listen to, in that they both kinda suck, although Willie is more musical and has more ability......he just lays back SOOOOOOO much it's ridiculous, and he's kinda sloppy. He's crazy melodic, though.

Good for Neil! That's pretty funny, and refreshing.
  • He might not have much of anything in the way of chops, fluidity, or grace on lead guitar, but somehow I still like his lead playing. His attitude still comes through.

His tone is usually very questionable. He goes for a very different aesthetic than any other guitar player I've heard.
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    Neil is great!  And he sucks!  Gotta love that!
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,677
    He writes some good songs, but yeah, he's right about his lead playing.  A shit-faced drunk baboon could play better solos than he does.  But his honesty is refreshing, and seriously, if I record a song that sucks and people like it, I'm not going to complain, either.

By the way, my next sucky song is called "Severed Head in a Bowling Ball Bag."  So yeah...that sucks a bit.
    [quote author=Soulstealer link=topic=8857.msg135278#msg135278 date=1249986685]
    [quote author=FugaziOsborne link=topic=8857.msg135266#msg135266 date=1249973370]
    I LOVE his lead playing!  He does suck....but that is some of the most consistent and identifiable suckage out there...tons of character...
    [/quote]

I do too. I think he and Willie Nelson are both very unique and interesting to listen to, in that they both kinda suck, although Willie is more musical and has more ability......he just lays back SOOOOOOO much it's ridiculous, and he's kinda sloppy. He's crazy melodic, though.

[/quote]

WRONG.  Willie is a god damn genius lead guitar player.  His playing on "Stardust" is flawless.

• Ah...Stardust - what an amazing record! :) 

I just found the lp for $1.99 last week and it sounds great! (I've been on a debilitating vinyl kick lately :chuckle:)
  • SoulstealerSoulstealer Posts: 2,305
    [quote author=otcconan link=topic=8857.msg135331#msg135331 date=1250020794]
    [quote author=Soulstealer link=topic=8857.msg135278#msg135278 date=1249986685]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

WRONG.  Willie is a god damn genius lead guitar player.  His playing on "Stardust" is flawless.
    [/quote]

Hey, I love him too! He's in a different league from Neil Young, that's for sure. He doesn't SUCK, but he's certainly......unique.

I heard on NPR today that the only segment of the music industry that is actually expanding is...wait for it...

Vinyl.

Food for thought.  Yes, I have "Stardust" on vinyl.  No, it's not for sale.  Willie kicks ass on that thing.