Alternative rock/metal

2»

Comments

• I can't really get into most Fishbone but I think this song kicks all kinds of ass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMz8NkpwI38
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,708
    Another great band from the early '90s was Mantissa (formerly Killing Time)
    Here's one of my favourite tracks -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMwLxyRId4&feature=related
    Bassplayer looks like a girl though....
    Official DRG threadkiller
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

I like alot of different styles of music but I find no redeeming value in 95% of this shit .  As far as guitar playing playing goes its virtually non existent  . :wank:

SOUNDGARDEN I can tolerate but only because I dig the vocals .
  • John Frusciante is my favorite guitarist. He's melodic, funky, a phenominal songwriter and a great singer, especially on his most recent solo album, The Empyrean. I really like his lyrics too, though they can be a bit cryptic at times, but at least he never has any filler lyrics. I like pretty much all of his material with RHCP, and I also love the album with Dave Navarro.

I agree with CrazyW, I think Navarro is a very tasteful guitar player with a unique melodic/harmonic sense. One of my favorite guitar parts of his is the airy chording of "Then She Did", which I think is on Nothing's Shocking. I think his work with the Chili Peppers is even better, probably because he was working with a better bass player.

I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan, though I think their lead guitarist is pretty much trash, or his solos at least. He's better at doing supporting melody lines. Eddie Vedder really makes the band for me, I think he has great lyrics, tone, range and note choice. The bass player, Jeff Ament, has an interesting tone and presence.

I like Soundgarden a bit, though I think Kim Thayil's solos are total bullshit. I like their riffs, vocals, and the songwriting, but it's basically Cornell's talent that is driving that band.  

Living Colour has some cool songs, but I can't stand Vernon Reid's solos. Muzz Skillings sounds great, LC has an awesome rhythm section and their singer has a lot of power and passion.

And how about a little band called Radiohead? They've got genius songwriting, great vocals, and lots of interesting textures all over their albums. My personal favorites are The Bends, Ok Computer and In Rainbows.

And then of course, there's the legendary Jeff Buckley. He's got to be one of the best singers of all time: he's got tone, range, phrasing, note choice, vibrato, sustain, and dynamics in spades. "Grace" is a superb album, and Buckley has a lot of great chord progressions in these songs. Even when he's doing covers, he always puts a unique spin on them. It's a tragedy that he died so young, he had so much potential.

There are some truly great bands from the 90's, it's a period of a lot of growth and experimentation.
  • [quote author=CrazyW link=topic=8664.msg131975#msg131975 date=1248039706]
    Dean Deleo has yet to impress me though.
    [/quote]

I know what you mean. Dean's not going to impress anyone in the agile fingers department, but he does occasionally play some cool stuff that really works for the song. I personally think his best guitar playing is on the "Tiny Music" disc. There's a song on there called "Lady Picture Show" that has a cool pedal point lick at the end of the solo. I like the solo in "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" too. I must admit though that part of the reason I like STP is because I grew up in the '90s (I was born in 1984), so there's a lot of nostalgia in those old songs for me.

From what I can tell, Peter from Candlebox is/was a chops monster under the guise of a '90s alternative rocker. There's a song on their first album called "Arrow" that has a blazing descending lick near the end of the solo. His guitar tone sounds like it's probably coming out a Dual Rec or something.
  • I've been listening a lot to Stevie Salas lately, got his album Shapeshifter last week. He is not a great songwriter, all the songs are decent but no really amazing tracks. It is an enjoyable album nevertheless. Some cool guitar playing, heavy funky stuff, bit of a RHCP vibe sometimes. Great players too like Norwood Fisher, Juan Alderete, Brian Tichy...

Loved the Rats album he did with Sass Jordan.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Navarro was great in early Jane's Addiction, not so much in the Peppers. Has he done anything of note since, other than show his nipples at every occasion? :puke:

As for the Peppers, I've got one word for you guys : Hillel.
    Everything they've done with him I love, everything without him blows chunks as far as I'm concerned.
  • [quote author=Sancho link=topic=8664.msg133572#msg133572 date=1248907011]
    Navarro was great in early Jane's Addiction, not so much in the Peppers. Has he done anything of note since, other than show his nipples at every occasion? :puke:

As for the Peppers, I've got one word for you guys : Hillel.
    Everything they've done with him I love, everything without him blows chunks as far as I'm concerned.
    [/quote]

Hillel Slovak is not nearly the songwriter Frusciante is. Sure, he could pull off a cool funky vibe, and I respect what he did for the Chili Pepper's early career, but before Frusciante came along, Flea was the main attraction. Frusciante made the band huge, he's a true visionary. Hillel was more of a stylist, he was basically part of the rhythm section so that Flea could go off. I don't think any of Hillel's solos are anything special.

Frusciante brought the pop songwriting sensibility to the band, and that's what made them big.
  • [quote author=Sancho link=topic=8664.msg133572#msg133572 date=1248907011]
    Navarro was great in early Jane's Addiction
    [/quote]

Agreed! Some of those solos on "Nothing's Shocking" are very shreddy. I especially love the leads on "Ocean Size."
  • Pigs in Zen from Nothing's Shocking absolutely kicks major butt!
    Perry is one of my favorite singers - no one sounded him that I'm aware of.

Dean Deleo is the total package, but from a chops standpoint - very 70's. He's like a Jimmy Page type or 70's progressive rocker playing in a mainstream alternative band. As a musician he's brilliant - the wacky chords and dynamic shifts. Tripping is one of my favorite solos.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    [quote author=Grotto link=topic=8664.msg134784#msg134784 date=1249510884]
    Hillel Slovak is not nearly the songwriter Frusciante is. Sure, he could pull off a cool funky vibe, and I respect what he did for the Chili Pepper's early career, but before Frusciante came along, Flea was the main attraction. Frusciante made the band huge, he's a true visionary. Hillel was more of a stylist, he was basically part of the rhythm section so that Flea could go off. I don't think any of Hillel's solos are anything special.

Frusciante brought the pop songwriting sensibility to the band, and that's what made them big.
    [/quote]

I beg to differ. Maybe Frusciante did make the band the pop sensation they've become, but I found them more enjoyable to listen to with Hillel.
    The whole vibe of the band went out the window when Hillel died.
  • [quote author=Sancho link=topic=8664.msg138353#msg138353 date=1252566316]
    [quote author=Grotto link=topic=8664.msg134784#msg134784 date=1249510884]

[/quote]

I beg to differ. Maybe Frusciante did make the band the pop sensation they've become, but I found them more enjoyable to listen to with Hillel.
    The whole vibe of the band went out the window when Hillel died.
    [/quote]

I think the vibe got a lot more interesting. Frusciante is great at doing the interplay with Flea, making the guitar and bass two equal voices in the scope of the music. Plus, Frusciante is great at doing very melodic, purposeful solos. "Wet Sand", off their most recent album Stadium Arcadium, is a great example of this. Honestly, who else plays anything like the kind of lead guitar Frusciante plays these days?

Before Frusciante, I thought RHCP was more of a gimmick. Frusciante brought depth to the band.
  • I actually think Mike McCready is a decent tasty 70's style player that made Pearl Jam kind of rock.

The dude from Candle Box and the guy from Ugly Kid Joe both freaking blaze on the guitar.  They are real deal badasses. 

Pride and Glory, our boy Zakk, in the middle 90's killing it.

I like some Smashing Pumpkins

I like some STP, Interstate Love Song one of the best songs from the 90's.  Dean makes Slash look like Eddie Van Halen, but Dean does have some cool songs and structure.

Brother Cane, if you don't know who they are, check them out.  They rock!
  • [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=8664.msg138445#msg138445 date=1252639852]
    The dude from Candle Box and the guy from Ugly Kid Joe both freaking blaze on the guitar.  They are real deal badasses. 
    [/quote]

The guy from Ugly Kid Joe has chops but his lead playing never really amazed me. Good but doesn't stand out. I was more impressed with the drumming and bass playing. Always liked Whitfield Crane's vocals too. The stuff they did after Ugly Kid Joe really isn't my cup of tea though.