Buckethead

Comments

• I like him.  I saw him live twice, and he didn't disappoint.  Amazing guitar playing, robot moves, and he even busted out the numchucks.  Yeah he can shred with the best, and can play mechanically, but when he does that, he's doing it deliberitly.  I mean the songs are literally called giant robot vs something, or droid assembly, and he is going for a mechanical vibe. Regardless of what people want to say, he does play with a ton of feel and emotion.  I for one think that he does a really good job of capturing the vibe or atmosphere of his music.  Just look at the titles and listen and you can picture a whole show in your head.  It's pretty cool.  I like what he does.  Yeah it's not normal but I like how he doesn't take himself too seriously, and has fun with what he's doing, and you have to respect someone who made it in mainstream music wearing a bucket on his head, and playing distorted Disney tunes.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,931
    I just wonder how he gets by without speaking. I mean...holy shit. That's a textbook example of "music speaking for itself".
    The other that comes to mind is MS when he joined UFO. He spoke German. They spoke English. the only way they could communicate is thru music. You see where this is going.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    Here's why Buckethead stopped me:

Jeb, my wife, my son, and I were walking around and here comes Bucket and Bootsie Collins. A small mob was following them and they wouldn't stop for pics.

I stepped in front of Bucket and he stops and points at my shirt. I'm wearing a Mr Punch shirt (Vertigo/DC graphic novel with art by Dave McKean). McKean created a comic book and album art for Bucket. I also stood next to Bucket (sans mask) at McKean's booth at the San Diego Comic Con back in 1995 or so. His nametag did say Brian Carroll at the time.

So I ask Bucket if I can get a pic with him and he nods excitedly. I heard a few moans and I think people thought since I had a baby with me that Bucket took a pic with me. It was just the shirt and being a fan of the same artist.
    woah. that's really crazy. what does he look like under the mask?
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    His face wasn't particularly distinctive. Just another long haired guy in a flannel shirt.
    It would be cool to have a persona like that...
    you could play one style of music under one persona and then use your other persona to do other things. Okay I don't know why someone would want to do that unless in exceptional bizarre circumstances. (Paul McCartney's Thrillington comes to mind). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrillington
  • FenceFence Posts: 282
    He's  the Batman of our time. Not just a man more like a symbol. The hate and bashing, he can take it all. Doesn't matter to him.  :clap:
  • crnoperjecrnoperje Posts: 497
    [quote author=merlo_zeppelin link=topic=7853.msg116725#msg116725 date=1232325767]
    He has amazing, (and I mean AMAZING) chops, he can play anything, I once saw I video of him in a GNR show doing some country-shred-fingerpickin stuff that blew my away. But Ive rarely heard him play anything with melody or taste, I can watch him shred for a couple minutes but thats it, and all his wierd noise stuff, that I cant stand for even 10 seconds. Last but not least, his whole persona annoys the shit out of me
    [/quote]

this is not true. you can talk like that when you go through all of his discography, sure most of the stuff is shredding, cause he has tons of albums, but at least 6-7 albums is pure emotional playing and great acoustic stuff. so don't be mean :shred:
  • you re right, I ve only heard very little of his stuff, but that was I heard didnt make feel like digin deeper.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    [quote author=Jack V link=topic=7853.msg116782#msg116782 date=1232391363]
    woah. that's really crazy. what does he look like under the mask?
    [/quote]
    This is the original Guitar Player article
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,114
    I am a big Praxis fan.
    Any time you put Bootsy and Bernie together with Brain on drums and Buckethead on guitar it's pretty sick.
    He mentioned in an interview that he actually did as Brian years ago that he got a lot of his atonal lines from Slonimsky's Thesaurus of scales and melodic patterns.
    That fingerpicking piece he does sound like something from that book.

I was at this show back in the day Shawn and Jonas opened up and then Buckethead came on and stole the show, but Shawn just reminds me of Sam Kinison here.
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    [quote author=Jay G link=topic=7853.msg116720#msg116720 date=1232312242]
    I thought I read that all of his GNR solos were re-recorded by Thal.  In fact I think Thal re-recorded everything done by all 5 or 6 guys prior to him.
    [/quote]

No, Thal plays some rythm on almost ever song and has a few solos.  The best solos were bucket and they were not altered.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,675
    [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=7853.msg117109#msg117109 date=1232754140]
    I thought I read that all of his GNR solos were re-recorded by Thal.  In fact I think Thal re-recorded everything done by all 5 or 6 guys prior to him.
    [/quote]

No, Thal plays some rythm on almost ever song and has a few solos.  The best solos were bucket and they were not altered.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.  I was not aware.  i have the CD but have not cracked it open as of yet.  Do you happen to know how the guitar parts are officially credited?
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    [quote author=Jay G link=topic=7853.msg117115#msg117115 date=1232764568]
    [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=7853.msg117109#msg117109 date=1232754140]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.  I was not aware.  i have the CD but have not cracked it open as of yet.  Do you happen to know how the guitar parts are officially credited?
    [/quote]

The booklet has the guitar parts credited in great detail.  Robin Finck, Bucket, and Thal all have solos.  Several songs feature both a Robin and Bucket solo, or a Ron and Bucket solo.  Bucket's solos are very distinctive. 

You can hear a Thal solo on the song "Shackler's Revenge". Its played on a fretless.  Its okay.  The rythym parts to that song are Bucket. 

On the song Chinese democracy, there is some rythym that is low in the mix going on during the versus, that is thal.  The power chords is Finck and Fortus I think  and there is a Robin solo and bucket solo.  Robin's solos are generally slower and just not as good as bucket's.

Bucket has some good solos on Chinese Democracy, If The World, Prostitute, Sorry, and There Was a Time.

Thal has I think 3 solos off the top of my head.  Shackler's revenge, Catcher in the Rye, and Bedoins and Ryhiad or something like that.  Pardon the spelling. 

Overall the guitars blow.  Some nice solos, but the riffs suck balls.  There aren't any.  None of them grab you.  Of the lead players on the album, Bucket was by far the best.  Finck blows and Thal at times seemed out of place. 
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,675
    I appreciate the heads up.  I am still not sure when I am going to gove it a spin.