Buckethead

JasonJason Posts: 1,931
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=yaCErlW-3p8
the guy is SO unique.
but what is with him? he has like dozens of albums. has anyone listened to them?

Comments

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,675
    I have numerous albums he has done.  They all different and unpredictable.

Chicken Noodles II - is not like anything else he has done.  It is just him and another guy whose names escapes me.  Buckethead plays guitar the the other guy plays just a Fender Rhodes.  I quite like it.  Mellow, bluesy, funky.

Octave - this is the one with Jonas Hellborg.  Flat our shred fest.

Colonel Claypools Bucket of Bernie Brains - did a coupe of albums with Les Claypool, Bernie Worrell, etc.  Very funky and strange.  Kind of like Primus. 

I just ordered Chicken Noodles I from my local shop but have no idea what to expect.

His best selling are the Young Buckethead.  I have not heard the CDs but have seen some of the video footage on Comcast On Demand.  His playing appears to be good but the footage and sound quality suck.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,646
    Of course.

If you'd like to hear the type of real masterpiece work he's capable of try to find a video or recording of him playing Nottingham Lace. Brilliant!

I forgot a funny story you may not have heard.  Since he first appeared on the scene the rumours are that he is really Paul Gilbert.  It has long since been proven false but started I guess because Gilbert was one of his guitar teachers.

tell me more about this Nottingham.  I am not familar with it.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,931
    Apparently it took years to find out that his name is Brian Carroll.
    how do people find out information like this? From what I understand, he NEVER speaks.
  • This is outstanding, the outro to "Animal Behavior" live in 1995 with Praxis :

• jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Venomboy and I ran into him at NAMM one year and he actually stopped Art to point as his T-shirt . Something to do with comic books I think .

He had his bucket on and did not speak . :nuts: Just stopped and pointed . 

As a guitar player I admire his technical prowess and the backyard vids of him screwing around make me laugh . I dig the humor .

I put him in the same boat as Micheal Angelo , Impelliteri and Rusty Cooley as shred robots . Great technical players but too mechanical for my taste . Don't get me wrong...I like what he does....I just can't listen to him for very long .  :snoozin:

Guys like Greg Howe , Shawn Lane and Guthrie Govan can hold my interest longer .

JAY....I was told Octave of the Holy Innocents was crap . I have yet to hear it for myself . Please advise .
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,931
    but in that video he does like really....almost circus-like sounds.
    he's soooooo strange but I respect him for his unique eccentricity.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    No question the guy has tons of creativity and the chops to express himself at a high level . Devoting his talent to making " circus sounds " is entertaining at best but just seems like kinda a waste of time IMHO . He has clearly raised the bar when it comes to unrelenting wankery .

Buckethead IS entertaining and i understand his appeal . I just wanna hear melodic invention rather than circus sounds or scales that never stop .
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,646
    Nottingham Lace is an actual melodic musical piece that can be found as the last track on the cd "Enter The Chicken". How I wish Buckethead would get through the goofy phase and do more work like this. Nottingham Lace always reminds me of Jason Becker.

Rick
    [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=7853.msg116698#msg116698 date=1232256761]
    Venomboy and I ran into him at NAMM one year and he actually stopped Art to point as his T-shirt . Something to do with comic books I think .

He had his bucket on and did not speak . :nuts: Just stopped and pointed . 

As a guitar player I admire his technical prowess and the backyard vids of him screwing around make me laugh . I dig the humor .

I put him in the same boat as Micheal Angelo , Impelliteri and Rusty Cooley as shred robots . Great technical players but too mechanical for my taste . Don't get me wrong...I like what he does....I just can't listen to him for very long .  :snoozin:

Guys like Greg Howe , Shawn Lane and Guthrie Govan can hold my interest longer .

JAY....I was told Octave of the Holy Innocents was crap . I have yet to hear it for myself . Please advise .

I have heard a few folks tell me it was crap.  I just got Octave a couple of weeks ago at the recomendation of someone from another forum.  I have not listened to it yet.  My description was based on the person that told me to get it.  I will check it out and let you know.
    [/quote]
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    [quote author=Jack V link=topic=7853.msg116689#msg116689 date=1232247300]
    Apparently it took years to find out that his name is Brian Carroll.
    how do people find out information like this? From what I understand, he NEVER speaks.
    [/quote]
    ahm...
    There´s been several interviews in GP with buckethead/Brian Carroll. I knew, because of GP that his name was Brian Carroll 15 years ago.

And he IS an undeniable talent, the Praxis records are amazing, imho. They do suffer under Bill Laswells typical bass-heavy production, but are great never the less.

Whatever he did in GnR, I just couldn´t care less, but I hoped he got payed, and payed well.

• Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    I thought he had some kick ass solos in the new GNR and was the best player they had since Slash.  I agree that he can play anything, but rarely captures the vibe of the song in his solo, but when he does watch out.  To me, he is more tasty than Ron Thal and can really play some emotional stuff.  Thal is a virtuoso as well and just as quirky with the weird sounds and playing a guitar shaped like a foot.
    I thought I read that all of his GNR solos were re-recorded by Thal.  In fact I think Thal re-recorded everything done by all 5 or 6 guys prior to him.
  • FenceFence Posts: 282
    This guy is a great musician. I don't like him as a guitarist only. I really like his slow , atmospheric , spacial dreamy stuff. That's where the gold is. He has to be a shredder cause he is modern and that kind of showcase get's him in the spotlight. He is part Jason/Gilmour/Gilbert. He obviously has issues when he has to solo on a GNR album. But the whole "mask" and "no" talking prevents him from hitting bigger exposure. It's not normal.  But his music is. 
    Population Override. That's the album I like the most. I haven't gone through the whole discography.

His music is expressive but his acting skills aren't . That is a bit self mutilating. 
  • He has amazing, (and I mean AMAZING) chops, he can play anything, I once saw I video of him in a GNR show doing some country-shred-fingerpickin stuff that blew my away. But Ive rarely heard him play anything with melody or taste, I can watch him shred for a couple minutes but thats it, and all his wierd noise stuff, that I cant stand for even 10 seconds. Last but not least, his whole persona annoys the shit out of me