Kinda late, but..... Christmas toys anyone?

StitselStitsel Posts: 2,191
edited January 16 in General Guitar Discussion
I scored myself a few: 

1st I got an ESP Ltd range Black Metal series EC .....I was looking at their "model clearance sale" tab & they were blowing these out for $549 shipped, complete with a bag of swag.....it was supposedly a factory 2nd, with "minor blemishes"....so I figured what the hell.....well, the thing is like brand spanking new & super high quality. Not a scratch or ding or anything, it literally looks /feels / plays like brand new, was barely out of  tune when I got it. The extras....wow, a nice drawstring bag to carry stuff in, an ESP truckers cap, a sticker, a nice leather key fob, and....a badass studded leather strap.....wow.....kudos to ESP for not screwing around!!

https://www.espguitars.com/products/20402-ec-bkm

It's actually one of my nicer guitars all of a sudden.... the Seymour Duncan Black Winter PUP is also one of the best pickups I've ever heard....

2nd I had to get another V, found this & my jaw dropped.....

Zemaitis..... https://zemaitisguitarcompany.com/products/zemaitis-zvwa22-sandblasted-ash-black-black

Again, another end-of-year blowout sale, I believe it was $699 shipped, complete with killer shaped gig bag.....

Cool story, when originally inquiring about the guitar on their contact page, the actual General Manager responded to me, a real pleasant & cool guy, he answered all my questions etc. I then pulled the trigger about a week later.It arrived quickly & I proceeded to put it through it's paces.....really nice axe, built for Dino rock.I e-mailed him again to rave about my newfound love, told him I would probably be scoring a couple T-shirts next, he casually asked me which ones & which size, I told him & he said "shirts are on their way...." I was dumbfounded & told him so, he then said "just share your love of our guitars  ;) " YESSIR!!

3rd, this just came today : my new EVH 5153 LBX-S (Stealth lunchbox head) ......

Holyyyyyyy SHIT  :o

I originally purchased this thing, like the day after our beloved EVH's passing  :s , I had to have something connected to him, my grief was pretty heavy.....but they were backordered for like almost 3 months, but I didn't worry about it.....it finally came in a couple of days ago & I went to the local GC to pick it up....

WOW what a loud & heavy little mofo this thing is.I had some problem with my cables or something, couldn't get any sound out of it initially.....I was obviously being an idiot, got it sorted & was playing it through the Clean channel (green).....was messing around a bit, didn't realize I had the Lead (red) channel set at about 1-2 o'clock , hit the foot switch for Red channel & about blew my freaking head off.....! Yikes this thing has some balls.....

https://www.evhgear.com/gear/amplifiers/head/5150iii-15w-lbx-s-head/2256020000

Ok, 2021 is off to a good start!! 

Post edited by Stitsel on

Comments

• I usually do, but after a couple of Chubtones in 2019, the Spark, the Boss headphones, and the Xvive wireless things in 2020, this year I didn't really need or want anything. All I bought was FIVE Snark headstock tuners on a holiday sale so I can leave them all over the house and always find one when I want it. Keeping an eye out for if/when the Blug Amp X becomes availble.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,191
    Very cool DDave.I hear ya man, this shit kinda hit me quick & outta the blue.It actually was totally unexpected....but you know how us Dino minds work sometimes..... So now I feel way good to go too.....but you know that shit usually lasts for about 4-5 days.....
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,944
    Wow, you treated yourself well  =)  Congrats!   

Having student children, and an old house in need of repair here and there, I have to spare money at the moment, so I haven't bought anything important since the Loomis V in 2015. This is actually not a bad thing, since I'm spending more time really making music with the gear I already have, than test driving some new toys... 

I love the "stealth weapon" looks of your LTD. And you mention the Seymour Duncan Black Winter. I think it's an amazing pickup. I have installed one of those in my Jackson DK2. Although it was pleasant to play, that guitar sounded completely uninspiring with its stock JB pickup. With the Black Winter it has become such a lovely axe...  I'd describe the voicing of that pickup through a Marshall as something in the Wolf Hoffmann tonal ballpark. Not Wolf's tone, but definitely that kind of metal voicing. 
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,295
    No new gear at Christmas this year (I took care of a lot of that all year long!) but my wife did continue her indulgence of my Led Zeppelin preferences. The Object sits on a shelf overlooking my guitar room, and the print with the red birds hangs on the wall of my home office. The other print is slated for our bedroom "Thank You" has sort of become our romantic song of late.

Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • I'm spending more time really making music with the gear I already have
    Hallelujah!  That's what I'm trying to do as well. Spend more time playing, writing, recording.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • BytorBytor Posts: 1,700
    I didn't really do Christmas this yr for myself. I guess the ST300C would classify as a late Christmas.

I did however, grab some software for the DAW while everyone was running sales. :) Ozone 9 was stoopid cheap but honestly, I liked 5 better. Toontrack's EZbass is good for writing..
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,783
    I got a Harley Benton HB-35LD. I spent some cash for a good set of tuners and hardshell case for it and then did a good setup on it. It plays really well and sounds great. Still, I mostly just play my Tele instead. I gotta say I still love that one. 
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,812
    I'm waiting for the new bluguitar thing. 

Yeah guys, it wasn't like I have $$ to burn & I definitely have bills to pay, it was more a case of right place/right time for me....some good deals coupled with the fact I'm actually going through my inventory & getting rid of stuff.Dumping some guitars & upgrading a bit....I've sold 2 so far, have 2 more for sale, so..... I kind of realized I have too much shit & need to concentrate on a few key pieces & be done with it.The new V....I will always keep my Gibson Flying V, I love it & there's literally nothing wrong with it.I just realized one day it looked kind of humongous on me & I started looking at smaller body sizes.....I'm not a shrimp, but not big either....about 5'7" so this Zemaitis looks more height/weight proportionate .....ya know, for those moments on stage when the  chicks are throwing their panties at me as I rock their world  ;)

Here's a good pic of the actual size difference .... ^^^^ 

The ESP Ltd..... I always wanted to have a cool LP style guitar but the traditional ones kind of just don't do it for me....this one ticked all the boxes: traditional LP style body but a bit more modern & Stealth looking as Seven Moons alluded to.....it also has high end appointments , locking Tone Pros bridge/tailpiece, locking tuners, push/pull vol. that splits the coil ( not so noticeable when playing high gain, but definitely you can hear a difference when playing clean )  & an ebony fretboard w/24 jumbo frets.....and yes, that SD Blackened Black Winter ( the SD logo is a matte black ) 

is a seriously killer sounding PUP; it's ceramic magnet just sounds really good....lots of bite but doesn't seem to color the EQ like other Duncan's ( JB & their almost cocked wah  sound for instance ) , it's passive & sounds great played clean too. Really, this guitar is so nice.....wow.I wasn't expecting this.As I said, I'm kind of in flipping guitars mode right now, & just figured if I didn't like I'd quickly sell it.....well, she's a keeper.

The EVH lunchbox.....whew, I'm glad I got that thing.I already have a Peavey 6505 MH, there's literally nothing wrong with it either, but I've been intrigued by these little guys since they 1st introduced them a few yrs back, when this newest version came out, almost around the time of Eddie's passing....well, that was my excuse. I haven't even bothered with the FX loop, just played a couple things in front & it sounds excellent.MY 6505 MH is 20 watts & extremely loud, this thing is 15 & seems louder.....

From here on out, I think I'd like to concentrate on maybe some good recording software & maybe see what's up with an updated pair of WAZA headphones, otherwise I'm certainly good to go too, for a long time.Time to start concentrating on my playing, I'm spoiled as fuck in the gear department.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,339
    I bought some software from IK last year for practice, but that was it. With a new baby coming in a few months, I have to be careful with money, specially since I got laid off and my current job endeavour is as an independent contractor. I have told my wife that if I get a new, properly paying job, I am gonna indulge on a nice toy for myself in the form of an Uli inspired Strat or a pre mod Charvel inspired Chubtone. I already have them spec-ed, as I know exactly what I want. 
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,706
    Nothing. No point. Content with the gear I have, nothing's open so I couldn't try anything out, and then I got sick so no inclination to do anything anyway. 
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 671
    No new guitars/amps in 2020, anything I buy I'd have to carry back to NY from Bangkok.  Already have to sell the acoustics I've bought here, but I did get a couple of Fulltone pedals:  an OCD V2 and an old Plimsoul.  Looking at getting a Marshall Studio Vintage head/cab when I get home.  
    A metalhead amp nerd buddy of mine ( he was that guy that explained gain stages, tone stacks etc. to me, was wayyyy into boutique amps ) about 15 years ago raved to me about the Plimsoul.....said it was the best damn pedal he'd heard.... told me I'd love it.......for whatever reason, I've never gotten around to even hearing one.I mean, I have gobs of OD/distortion pedals already, plus hi-gain amps etc., but I've always meant to give that thing a spin.....what's your take on it, if you don't mind me asking? 
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 671
    edited January 24
    Stitsel said:
    A metalhead amp nerd buddy of mine ( he was that guy that explained gain stages, tone stacks etc. to me, was wayyyy into boutique amps ) about 15 years ago raved to me about the Plimsoul.....said it was the best damn pedal he'd heard.... told me I'd love it.......for whatever reason, I've never gotten around to even hearing one.I mean, I have gobs of OD/distortion pedals already, plus hi-gain amps etc., but I've always meant to give that thing a spin.....what's your take on it, if you don't mind me asking? 
    I'm in the same boat, plenty of amps and pedals to experiment with when I finally get the gear out of storage in a few months.  For me to buy any more boost/drive/distortion pedals at this point, they'd need to provide a tonal color that I don't already have.  The Plimsoul's been on my list for ages now, used to borrow one from a friend but he wouldn't sell it.  Funny to hear someone mention using a Plimsoul for metal, I didn't really consider that, to me it sits firmly in medium gain/crunch territory but with enough juice for classic rock leads as well.  The appeal for me was in the tonal voicing and ability to combine the hard/soft clipping gain stages.  Both sound good on their own but combining the two is where the pedal stands out a bit.  You can dirty up a clean amp with it or boost or color a Marshall with it similarly to a Tube Screamer etc both of which sound great.  I really liked using it with my Marshall Vintage Modern set to medium gain and the Plimsoul sustain and stage 2 both set to add a bit more gain and boost (9-12 o'clock) settings.  Huge and thick with a midrange that's unique to Fulltone pedals in my experience.  People seem to really like it or hate it.  Personally I like the tone but wouldn't want to use it all the time.  I'm not sure that it'd be suitable for modern metal as the mids and bass aren't tight enough imo, but for 70s to early 80s (not quite Van Halen level) crunch and gain, it's worth a try.  Turning the Sustain level up and stage 2 down puts you in the the OCD/Full-Drive ballpark and adding the stage 2 gets you some additional hard clipping goodness.  Hope this helps you out.  
    Post edited by MelodicGrit on
    It helps a lot, thanks for the detailed explanation! I'll have to wait & see if I ever have a chance to actually play through one; I certainly don't need any more shades of distortion....but if I play one & dig it then I know I'd get one.....GAS is worse than a drug addiction....