So the 2021 EVH 5150 Guitar Models got announced

Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,323
edited January 13 in General Guitar Discussion
A few weeks ago we had a thread on this guitar, and the 2021 models just got announced. I am not sure how I feel about them compared to last year's:

https://www.evhgear.com/gear/series/guitars/5150/5150-series-deluxe-poplar-burl/5108002558

I suppose the kill switch is a nice thing to have if you need it, but I don't like how it looks. The pickup switch was there for the previous model and they moved it to the upper horn, similar to a Les Paul.

I am also not too crazy about the finish.

Still, I could play this. The ebony fretboard is a nice thing, the body shape is a proved success on these parts, and the pickups are probably killer, but I would probably go for the used market and get a 2019 or 2020 model if I were in market right now...
Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,283
    edited January 14
    I think the issue is that when I look at that thing, I see no apparent connection to Ed. It doesn't look like anything I've seen Ed play, or anything I would expect to see him play. Of course, we'll never know.

So it's just a superstrat. BFD. Why buy it from EVH?

The EVH company no longer has a compass. There will always be demand for the existing, classic product line that looks like Ed's gear, but I don't know what their path forward is without having Ed as "the vision." This guitar is already a big step toward generic.

Aren't they part of Fender? 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,711
    Dinosaur David B said:

Yes they are. And that guitar is a re-imagining of Ed's old Kramers. Which is kinda ironic, because Kramer is owned by Gibson these days, and it's looking like the brand may be getting a major resurgance soon.
    Official DRG threadkiller
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,323
    I think the issue is that when I look at that thing, I see no apparent connection to Ed. It doesn't look like anything I've seen Ed play, or anything I would expect to see him play. Of course, we'll never know.

The EVH company no longer has a compass. There will always be demand for the existing, classic product line that looks like Ed's gear, but I don't know what their path forward is without having Ed as "the vision." This guitar is already a big step toward generic.

I don't go for signature gear anyway (unless you count a Les Paul as a signature model  ;) ) I like the older models because they have nice features, not for the EVH connection. 

You are right on the the fact it doesn't look like something Ed would have played. He was playing Wolfgangs in the end and before that it wad the famous striped Frankenstrat. This is kinda based on his 5150 (hence the name of the model) but with more features and a different finish of course. 

In the end, I would probably go for a Chubtone, and yeah, EVH is a Fender operation these days anyway. 
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 1,047
    I like the ice blue metallic. I prefer the maple veneer on my 2019 model over the poplar burl on this one, and in a way wouldn't mind a kill switch. It's easily enough installed, though. I actually have a song that's in drop D that would use it and whenever the time comes to play live again wouldn't mind avoiding guitar changes. 
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,936

Agreed 100%. This doesn't look like Eddie's guitars, and in fact it doesn't even look good at all IMO...    
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,323
    TravisW said:
    I like the ice blue metallic. I prefer the maple veneer on my 2019 model over the poplar burl on this one, and in a way wouldn't mind a kill switch. It's easily enough installed, though. I actually have a song that's in drop D that would use it and whenever the time comes to play live again wouldn't mind avoiding guitar changes. 
    Yes. That finish isn not working for me at all. The maple flame on the older models is much more to my liking. 

Agreed 100%. This doesn't look like Eddie's guitars, and in fact it doesn't even look good at all IMO...    
    Agreed as well. 
  • There was an initial business impetus to position the EVH brand as something different/separate from Fender. That made sense.  For example, if you wanted an amp that gives you Van Halen type sonics, it's counterintuitive to try selling than amp with Fender branding on it. Fender amps traditionally sound NOTHING like Van Halen, and expecting Dino guitarists to make that kind of mental leap (rightfully) seemed like a bridge too far.  Hence the amps were branded EVH, and that worked great.  

But with Ed, himself gone, I (personally) don't see much point or validity in the EVH line producing NEW products -- guitars or amps. Everyone knows these wouldn't have been conceived or endorsed by Ed.

It would be the equivalent of still calling SGs Les Pauls. Les had nothing to do with the SG, never played or endorsed them. But SGs carried his name for a while.

My prediction is that the old EVH products stay a product line within Fender, but new guitars like this one eventually get a different designation.

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Eclipse IIEclipse II Posts: 319
    I don’t really see the point of the kill switch and I don’t like the colour options.  Personally if you don’t want one of the striped series then the “84” that Kramer sell at the moment is more like Ed’s original guitars.