New MSG - best I've heard from MS in years

13»

Comments

• OskyOsky Posts: 1,079
    The song didn't do anything for me, too metal for my tastes, best thing about it were keyboards. Guitar was OKish but I was hoping for better. I think I'll stick to Michael's 1974-84 heyday.
  • At this point, it's great to see him live on these nostalgia tours, cause he's sober and playing the old stuff really well. 
    But that's about all he's good for now.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • At this point, it's great to see him live on these nostalgia tours, cause he's sober and playing the old stuff really well. 
    But that's about all he's good for now.
    I would say that, at this point, that applies to almost every one of the players we follow on this site... there are exeptions of course but we can probably count them with the fingers of one hand.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,271
    edited November 2020
    Michael explaining the project.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,816

Tracklisting:

"Drilled To Kill" (feat Ralf Scheepers)
    "Don’t Die On Me Now" (feat Joe Lynn Turner)
    "Knight Of The Dead" (feat Ronnie Romero)
    "After The Rain" (feat Michael Voss)
    "Devil’s Daughter" (feat Ralf Scheepers)
    "Sail The Darkness" (Feat Ronnie Romero)
    "The Queen Of Thorns And Roses" (feat Michael Voss)
    "Come On Over" (feat Ronnie Romero)
    "Sangria Morte" (feat Joe Lynn Turner)
    "In Search Of Peace Of Mind" (feat Ronnie Romero, Gary Barden,Doogie White, Robin McAuley)

• StitselStitsel Posts: 2,190
    While I'm happy Mad Mikey's still out there rocking hard, playing the shit out of the guitar, tearing it up live .....putting out new albums etc., I'm growing a bit tired of his "project" type albums.....the whole MSFest thing, or whatever he chooses to call it....not to dis on any of the musicians....but I personally just wish he would sit down & write a proper album, with 1 ( ONE !! ) vocalist....I get tired listening to his newer albums frankly....as in, there's no cohesive flow anymore.I'm constantly trying to understand & listen to who is the singer on this track, which can be distracting when you're trying to do other things while listening...like working, household chores....even driving! I miss putting on an MSG album of Barden or Bonnet or whoever tunes.....UFO had one singer & you could just forget about it & get into the tunes themselves.This format doesn't so much allow the tunes to breathe.... too claustrophobic on my ears.Maybe it's just me, I don't know.I'll certainly have to give it a shot, probably some good stuff on there.It sounds promising so far...but how good could it have been with just one ( 1 !! ) of these guys? 
  • Stitsel said:
    how good could it have been with just one ( 1 !! ) of these guys? 

Well he tried that for a lot of years, too, and those MSG albums (beyond ITMOB) just weren't any good. For him to deliver anything that would satisfy us, would involve him going backwards instead of forward. For example, go write an album with Gary Barden, and compose solos like you used to. But he has no interest in doing that.

I could see from his standpoint why doing this things this new way would be fun and inspiring for HIM, but these projects just aren't doing it for his longtime fans.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
    Fair enough, I can see your point. I was thinking more of a newer project, perhaps a tad more driving/metal or whatever, with someone like Scheepers etc., but on every track. Make it a concept album, I don't care.....or find some newer talent, with the pipes, that hopefully can bring more to the table than just vocals....I don't know; something's missing, but something is better than nothing, I suppose.... :#
  • I see your points, too.  I wonder, though, if something IS better than nothing if the something always disappoints. Put it this way. Schenker keeps regularly putting out boring music -- that I don't end up buying or listening to.  Sykes puts out NO music -- that I don't end up buying or listening to. Both seem like missed opportunities. Which is more frustrating? I honestly don't know.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
    Yep....& my problem is, I keep buying Schenker's new stuff....I don't know, out of loyalty .... ?! And being pretty much disappointed every time.The last one in particular ....the one where he's crucified on his V....blechhhh man was that thing a waste of time for all involved, myself & my wallet included. I honestly don't know either.  :/
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 669
    edited November 2020
    Stitsel said:
    Yep....& my problem is, I keep buying Schenker's new stuff....I don't know, out of loyalty .... ?! And being pretty much disappointed every time.The last one in particular ....the one where he's crucified on his V....blechhhh man was that thing a waste of time for all involved, myself & my wallet included. I honestly don't know either.  :/
    That's pretty much exactly how I feel as well.  I'll probably always buy Schenker's new releases but there's just not much in the last 10 years' worth of output that warrants repeat listening for me.  I didn't like it much at the time, but 2006's Tales of Rock & Roll was his first record with multiple vocalists and looking back now is head & shoulders above the last multi-vocalist albums in every way... songs, solos, tone.  If the new release is comparable, I'll be happy.  On another note, Derek Sherinian's latest release is worth a spin.  He really is the Dino guitarist's keyboardist these days.
    Post edited by MelodicGrit on