New MSG - best I've heard from MS in years

Comments

• Andy GAndy G Posts: 1,122
    Andy G said:
    Not wishing to pre-judge, but I think I'd rather hear JLT singing all the tracks. Fantastic having Derek Sherinian on this though. And at least Michael seems to be making at least a little effort on this. Fingers crossed for a solid album.
    I too kind of think having any ONE vocalist on all the tracks is imminently preferable.  Having all these different vocalists and drummers makes it like a different band on every track. That almost never works for me.  Good songs and Schenker ripping amazing solos could tie it all together, but I can't see that happening. 

I wouldn't choose Romeo -- he is pitchy as fuck. At first I thought it was just live with Rainbow, but I've heard him be pitchy on albums.  Of the guys involved, I would have chosen Scheepers.

Indeed - having a single singer makes a lot more sense. Getting some chemistry between the guitarist and singer. Developing it and bringing out something greater than the sum of their parts. 

Unfortunately I agree - I can't see good songs happening... unless he got somebody else to write them. And write the riffs :/
    "Practice cures most tone issues"
    - John Suhr
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,396
    edited November 2020
    I honestly didn’t notice the lack of a proper riff on this song. I guess it’s still a good effort if that was the case, the rest of it was strong enough for it not being a big deal. I kinda find it weird cause good riffs are a given thing with Schenker.

having Sherinian on this track might have given Mike the push he needed to up his soloing closer to what we know he is capable of. 

Romero seems to be everywhere this days and I just can’t understand why. There are far better choices around.
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
    I honestly didn’t notice the lack of a proper riff on this song. I guess it’s still a good effort if that was the case, the rest of it was strong enough for it not being a big deal. I kinda find it weird cause good riffs are a given thing with Schenker.

having Sherinian on this track might have given Mike the push he needed to up his soloing closer to what we know he is capable of. 

Romero seems to be everywhere this days and I just can’t understand why. There are far better choices around.
    Good riffs used to be a given for Schenker, but he's been mailing in very anonymous stuff for the last 30 years. He's been very open about his disinterest in playing any rhythm guitar and that he would be happy for somebody else to do it, so he can concentrate on "self expression with my lead breaks" - in other words, mailing in anonymous improvisations, rather than crafting something melodic that might risk him having to do any work.

I agree that Sherinian might have given Schenker a push but even so, Sherinian is playing rings around him on this track. It reminds me of the old Deep Purple Hammond/guitar duels where Jon Lord handed Ritchie his arse on a plate at every turn. And I would wish that the guitarist was playing with the kind of fluidity and creativity of the keyboardist. Sorry to say that Schenker is still mailing it in on this - it's a bit better than what we've come to expect, but Schenker has set the bar bloody low nowadays.
    - John Suhr
  • I agree that this song, riff, and lead isn't up to the old standards. Said so in the initial post. And I agree that DS's solos here are better.  But Schenker worked out this solo, and he hasn't done that in forever.  If he does that on the rest of the album, that would be a step in the right direction.  But he probably won't.

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,825
    The newest addition to the record is keyboard player Derek Sherinian (ex-DREAM THEATER, ex-KISS etc.), who plays on the album's opening track,

So is he only on 1 track or ???? Who knows...Not sold on Ronnie on vocals either.
    But Schenker worked out this solo,

Wow do you really think so??? This was typical Schenker improvised pentatonic waffling, he can do this stuff in his sleep. And it sounds like he's sleepwalking through it. 
    - John Suhr
  • Maybe so. I thought some of it sounded a bit more structured than usual, but you could be right.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,640
    This song is a step in the right direction, but It was still a tad on the boring side. Scheepers is an excellent singer and the keyboard solos and guitar solo were really good. Disappointed that Romero is going to be on this album. That guy definitely has pitch issues and his accent annoys me. Glad that Scheepers and JLT are on this. Sherinian are also a huge plus. Schenker just needs to solidify an MSG lineup. In the description it comes off as another Schenker Fest with different players. 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 8,030
    Not approaching the brilliance of the past, but I thought Michael played better (and more thinkingly) than he has done in many a moon, and I liked the song. 

I don't know anything, anyway.
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 674
    edited November 2020
    Strange that this is being released as an MSG album.  I'm with Duojett, with various singers and two drummers, the concept isn't any different from the last few albums.  Sherinian is great, I hope he's on more than one track and both drummers are excellent.  I'd hope Michael brings the songs and/or melodic solos back but not expecting much. He's had great musicians in his bands over the years and it's made not one iota of difference in the song or soloing structure.  After listening to the new tune several times, I still like it but the main "riff" is buried in the mix in the same power metal production style as the last few albums.   I get the impression that Schenker's recent interest in double bass drumming translates to a lazier "let the drums drive the song and the guitar will just follow" approach for the rhythms.  Fine for a song or two but not a whole album's worth.  I'm not sure the solos here were composed but they do sound a bit more focused for lack of a better word.  Hoping for a solid release as always.
    Post edited by MelodicGrit on
  • I just watched this again, and I'm left with the impression that I actually like the song, but I wish Schenker had played the lead parts Sherinian played. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,955
    edited November 2020
     I'm not sure the solos here were composed but they do sound a bit more focused for lack of a better word.  
    That was my impression too. No memorable melody, but they do sound like he put more effort and discipline than on the recent Schenker Fest songs. As for the song itself, there's a decent chorus but apart from that, I still think it's just two soloists jamming over a repetitive drum pattern. 
    I think Schenker would benefit of a stable line-up featuring at least one guy with good songwriting/arranging skills. But he doesn't seem to bother about that anymore, and his game of recording navel-gazing albums with guests won't solve the issue. 
    Post edited by Seven Moons on
     I wish Schenker had played the lead parts Sherinian played. 
    Yes. That was my impression of it too - hence the reminder of the Jon Lord/Ritchie duelling thing.

Towards the end of Sherinian's solo, he starts playing a percussive low sequence - I thought at first it was Schenker taking over, until it became clear it was still the keyboards.

- John Suhr
  • Like most,I think this was good,better than expected. It goes without saying that Michael's apogee as a soloist is many
    decades in the past. I can't recall any memorable solos since the McAuley-Schenker albums.That being said,I'm still
    grateful that Mike is still in the game,slinging that flying V and sounding strong as he approaches his 66th birthday.
    I wish him the best and hope we all get another chance to see him play in the flesh in the not-too-distant future.
    Rock on Mikey!
  • For me, Michael only needs an excuse to take the tour bus and ripp the old material. If there's some new song, I'm ok, but after the last gig I watched, I don't need more than MSG doing MSG songs the way they know.