New MSG - best I've heard from MS in years

Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,377
edited November 2020 in Video Clips
Not saying it's totally brilliant, but it IS the best he's done in long time, IMO.

This is almost Accept-ish in the rhythm section. Sort of power metal too.  Real good singer!  When he pushes, he sounds kind of like Bonnett.  And Michael's solos (while not approaching the brilliance of the past) are at least worked-out and purposeful for the first time in forever. 

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
-- David St. Hubbins.

Comments

• The moment the voice started I went mmm that sure sounds like Ralph Scheepers. A couple of more seconds and who am i kidding? That's Ralph, no question about it. I would recognise him anywhere. God knows I listened to that guy a million times in the 90's. He was the original singer for Gamma Ray, sung in the first 3 albums and has been fronting Primal Fear for over 20 years now. World class singer, strongly influenced by Halford.

I will also agree this is the best Schenker track i have heard in a long, long time. His soloing, while not on the same level as his classic work, is head and shoulders above his most recent output. Glad to hear he still has got it. 

I remain curious about the whole album. 

• Ralph Scheepers -- yeah I remember him from PF. Never liked them much, but he's a great singer.

Micheal still has it. He plays all the old solos live.  Let's hope he starts creating some good new ones.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Ralph Scheepers -- yeah I remember him from PF. Never liked them much, but he's a great singer.

Micheal still has it. He plays all the old solos live.  Let's hope he starts creating some good new ones.
    I probably only own a couple of PF cds but I haven't listened to them in ages. I first became a fan of his cause of Gamma Ray, to be honest. He is an astounding singer, but I don't really listen to power metal these days, except for the occasional Helloween. 

I have seen Schenker live and his playing on the old stuff is still as good as ever. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. I was really impressed by him and to this day it remains my all time favorite concert (The fact Uli opened didn't hurt either).
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 8,030
    Very characteristic and pleasing solo from Michael! Best I've heard since In the Midst of Beauty, definitely.

I liked a couple of Primal Fear tracks ("Eye of an Eagle"), but they tended toward happy meal metal a few too many times imo.
  • Haffner said:
    Best I've heard since In the Midst of Beauty, definitely.
    Yes. EXACTLY.  And I contend the biggest problem with that otherwise great album was that his solos were aimless and forgettable. Had he not mailed that in, that album could have been a classic.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Nice to hear the more melodic/structured type of solo from MS again; I enjoyed the keyboard parts as well.  Looking forward to the rest of the album, although I'd read that Scheepers was just on the one track and the rest would be sung by Ronnie Romero.
  • The keyboard player was an excellent soloist.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Haffner said:
    Very characteristic and pleasing solo from Michael! Best I've heard since In the Midst of Beauty, definitely.

I liked a couple of Primal Fear tracks ("Eye of an Eagle"), but they tended toward happy meal metal a few too many times imo.
    Funny how we can hear different things. Primal Fear never sounded that “happy metal” to me, or at least not the way the average Helloween clone bands do. Their first album was a total Priest’s Painkiller worship and from then on they were basically that with a touch of Accept, but the be honest I haven’t listened to any of the stuff they released after the 90’s.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,825
    edited November 2020
    Sherinian on keys for this track ( I thought it looked like him in the video)...cool. Late January release....

From Michael's site:
    the album's main vocalist will be uprising Chilean born talent Ronnie Romero (RAINBOW a.o.), along with Michael Voss (MAD MAX a.o.)Ralf Scheepers (PRIMAL FEAR) and Joe Lynn Turner (ex-DEEP PURPLE,RAINBOW a.o.) singing on two tracks each. Besides Michael Schenker himself, the album was recorded with Steve Mann (keyboards), Barry Sparks (bass, DOKKEN etc.), as well as the three drummers Bodo Schopf, Simon Philipps (ex-TOTO) and Brian Tichy (ex-WHITESNAKE). „Brian was thrilled to be part of it. He is a master of groove and ended up playing on six songs. I could not believe it: This man is something else. He is a true natural and very original. With his input it made the album very solid and complete. So guess what - I am very happy“, smiles Michael Schenker. The newest addition to the record is keyboard player Derek Sherinian (ex-DREAM THEATER, ex-KISS etc.), who plays on the album's opening track, featuring German power machine Ralf Scheepers on vocals. „Derek and myself trading solos, it sounds unexpected and beyond my expectation. Absolutely fantastic!“

Post edited by Donthegreek on
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,714
    The keyboard player was an excellent soloist.
    Derek Sherinian? He's fantastic. Have you heard any of his solo albums? He trades solos with folks like Yngwie, Holdsworth, Zakk Wylde, Al Di Meola, Luke, Tony Macalpine, John Sykes, and also has Billy Sheehan and Simon Phillips playing. 
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,955
    edited November 2020
    Haffner said:
    Best I've heard since In the Midst of Beauty, definitely.
    Yes. EXACTLY.  And I contend the biggest problem with that otherwise great album was that his solos were aimless and forgettable. Had he not mailed that in, that album could have been a classic.
    Agreed, wasted opportunity, but still his best album since 1984. The solos on this new song stand out a bit more.
    Not convinced by the song itself (no riff, boring repetitive rhythm), although it's indeed better than his Temple of Rock-Schenker Fest stuff, which was rubbish IMO. But at that point, I have given up all hope on his studio ouptut, I just care about his live performances, where he still delivers top notch playing on the classics. 
    Post edited by Seven Moons on
  • Andy GAndy G Posts: 1,122
    Sherinian on keys for this track ( I thought it looked like him in the video)...cool. Late January release....

From Michael's site:
    the album's main vocalist will be uprising Chilean born talent Ronnie Romero (RAINBOW a.o.), along with Michael Voss (MAD MAX a.o.)Ralf Scheepers (PRIMAL FEAR) and Joe Lynn Turner (ex-DEEP PURPLE,RAINBOW a.o.) singing on two tracks each. 

Not wishing to pre-judge, but I think I'd rather hear JLT singing all the tracks. Fantastic having Derek Sherinian on this though. And at least Michael seems to be making at least a little effort on this. Fingers crossed for a solid album.
    "Practice cures most tone issues"
    - John Suhr
  • Andy G said:
    Not wishing to pre-judge, but I think I'd rather hear JLT singing all the tracks. Fantastic having Derek Sherinian on this though. And at least Michael seems to be making at least a little effort on this. Fingers crossed for a solid album.
    I too kind of think having any ONE vocalist on all the tracks is imminently preferable.  Having all these different vocalists and drummers makes it like a different band on every track. That almost never works for me.  Good songs and Schenker ripping amazing solos could tie it all together, but I can't see that happening. 

I wouldn't choose Romeo -- he is pitchy as fuck. At first I thought it was just live with Rainbow, but I've heard him be pitchy on albums.  Of the guys involved, I would have chosen Scheepers.

Dr Nick said: 
    Derek Sherinian? He's fantastic. Have you heard any of his solo albums? 

I'm well aware of Derek Sherinian. I just didn't recognize him.  LOVE that he and Tichey are on the album. And Simon Phillips.

-- David St. Hubbins.
  • i've not been an avid MS listener for some 20 years, but i did like this.  after reading this thread, the fact that Sherinian and Brian Tichy are gonna be on the record, guarantees i'll be listening further, as more material is released!
  • Derek and myself trading solos, it sounds unexpected and beyond my expectation. Absolutely fantastic!“
    Ya know, Derek is kind of like Jan Hammer (as opposed to say Lord or Wakeman). He solos like a guitarist. His solos on this track, were, IMO, BETTER than Schenker's.  Maybe having Derek will push Schenker back toward his more melodic, composed approach of soloing.

If he does that, we should all chip in and get him a gift. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.