NGD (sorta) EVH 5150 Deluxe

TravisWTravisW Posts: 1,047
edited November 2020 in General Guitar Discussion
So I'm a few months late on this - I actually bought it back in April. Blue quilted maple veneer on a basswood body, ebony fretboard, licensed Floyd with D-tuna, maple neck, EVH Wolfgang pickups. 

The good: The neck is very comfortable, the fretwork is good, the pickups sound good, the fretboard is like glass, I love the low-friction volume pot, and really like the toggle location. 

The bad: The neck is set at a slight angle, which means the Floyd is a bit higher and can't rest against the body. I blocked it in the cavity so that it sits level on the body, which isn't any big job but really shouldn't be necessary. 

The ugly: no ugly here. It sounds good and is nice to play. Got it open box on Reverb for $750
Post edited by TravisW on

Comments

• StitselStitsel Posts: 2,190
    I can't believe no comments....that's a pretty sweet guitar. Curious as to how well the D-Tuna works, can you set the Floyd so there's even a tiny bit of up pull? 

Looks like a real shred machine. 
  • I saw this post a few days ago, forgot to comment.

yeah, pretty sweet axe. She is a looker for sure.

This thread reminds me I need a D-tuna for my Charvel
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,936
    Cool guitar, congrats!  
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 1,047
    edited November 2020
    Stitsel said:
    I can't believe no comments....that's a pretty sweet guitar. Curious as to how well the D-Tuna works, can you set the Floyd so there's even a tiny bit of up pull? 

Looks like a real shred machine. 
    Thanks!

You really can't float the Floyd and use the D-tuna unless you were to use a tremol-no. If you use a D-tuna on a floated Floyd, when you drop the E to D, the loss of tension will cause the other strings to go sharp. 
    Post edited by TravisW on
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,190
    I just looked up the specs on the EVH website and.....that thing is actually quite badass!!Looks top quality, I too dig the control layout & the fact it has a heel mounted truss rod adj., compound radius fretboard....jumbo frets on ebony....etc., hot PUPs.....looks like you scored a winner!
  • Stitsel said:
    I just looked up the specs on the EVH website and.....that thing is actually quite badass!!Looks top quality, I too dig the control layout & the fact it has a heel mounted truss rod adj., compound radius fretboard....jumbo frets on ebony....etc., hot PUPs.....looks like you scored a winner!
    I wish  i hadn’t read this. I went to the site, read the same thing and now NEED this guitar. LOL
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 1,047
    I'd say bang-for-the-buck, I'm really happy with it. At least it's on par with the Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special I bought in the late 90's. That was USA made vs. Mexico, but this has better paint and the low friction pot is a big advantage...and the ebony. I've gotten to the point where all but 2 electrics that I own have ebony boards. 
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    Since I'm not familiar with this model I wanted to hear the input of other members. It seems you've found a solid axe that meets your needs. You also seem quite pleased with it and, at the end of the day, that's all that matters. Congratulations. Play it and make beautiful music together.
  • Looks awesome congrats! I’m either going to get the Red version with the maple board or the EVH Bumblebee next year :-)
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,655
    Thats a sweet guitar! Love ebony, my next one gotta have that :)

Congrats :) 
  • Looks awesome congrats! I’m either going to get the Red version with the maple board or the EVH Bumblebee next year :-)

I am shooting for that one myself if I can't get a Chubtone.

Alternatively the Kramer “84” might fit the bill

Alternatively the Kramer “84” might fit the bill
    I took a glimpse at Kramer's site. Some good stuff in there (at least on paper) but the 84 has just one pickup, so that wouldn't be my choice if I were to go that route. I need my neck pickup!