Still of the Night Remix

This completely passed me by, but it seems that Mr Coverdale is releasing 3 remixed/remastered/re-whatevered "best of" albums, using the themes of Rock, Love and Blues.

So had a listen to the new Still of the Night. And it's VERY different. Huge change in clarity as far as instruments are concerned, and there are some audible nuances that I'd never spotted before. 
And the guitar solo ISN'T completely buried. Not sure I'm 100% sold on the drums, they're perhaps a bit too modern. But an interesting change, I think. 

Comments

• Andy GAndy G Posts: 1,103
    edited November 2020
    Just listening on my studio monitors. I prefer this to the album version. It's a lot more like the pre-production mixes. The bass guitar is a lot more prominent - which is most welcome. Neil Murray told me that he was unhappy with the lack of bass on even the pre-mixes. I also got to hear a bit of what the album sounded like before Coverdale and Sykes did "a year's worth of overdubs" - which sounded a lot more authentic to my ears and a bit more like this version (though clearer still). The finished album sounded more like a rock orchestra (albeit impressive) than a real rock band.

He also told me that the guitar solo on Still of the Night was originally in a different part of the song and it was Coverdale and the producer who moved it. Having heard the isolated guitar track, you can totally tell that something weird was going on with it - they tried to mask the beginning with the echoed dive bomb and the mysterious "rumble" in the background, but when you hear the guitar on its own, you can hear the clipped off note of whatever Sykes was playing before the fast run begins.

I still get goosebumps listening to this song. Bloody brilliant. 
    Post edited by Andy G on
    "Practice cures most tone issues"
    - John Suhr
  • I like it better than the original mix
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,697
    Well if you believe a book on Whitesnake, a lot of the bass on the album is synth. Allegedly tuning issues or something. 
    Andy G - how do you know all these people??
  • Andy GAndy G Posts: 1,103
    Dr Nick said:
    Well if you believe a book on Whitesnake, a lot of the bass on the album is synth. Allegedly tuning issues or something. 
    Andy G - how do you know all these people??
    Indeed - you can hear the bass synth on the isolated tracks, which are floating around somewhere on YouTube. There's normal bass but it's doubled with synth bass.

I only know Neil Murray - he wrote to me after seeing one of my video covers and we started chatting.
    "Practice cures most tone issues"
    - John Suhr
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,266
    edited November 2020
    DC recently stated in an interview that he hates all the 80s keyboards that are on a lot of these tracks, and I think he intends to get rid of them (where practical) in the remixes.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Totally loved this. about time we got to hear the solo the way Sykes intended. Lot´s of details all over the song I had never noticed before.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,697
    What I don't get is why as far as I can tell there's pretty much nothing pre-1987 on either this or the "Love" album. And apparenly Derek Sherinian and Joel Hoekstra re-did some of the parts. 
    Don't understand why re-doing the material from Forevermore and Good to Be Bad. Maybe it's about rights and royalties. 

• Totally loved this. about time we got to hear the solo the way Sykes intended. Lot´s of details all over the song I had never noticed before.
    Then you're gonna love this:

How it should have sounded.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 1,039
    Then you're gonna love this:

How it should have sounded.
    You beat me to it lol, fantastic! If you listen closely sounds like the solo could have been obver dubbed in the studio